What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU Head Coach Search Thread - Primetime

How come every time CU is searching for a head coach we are told “there is a high level of interest” but we always end up with schmucks? I can only assume the “high level of interest” comes from fired coaches, high school coaches, inexperienced coaches and Russian bots.
Don't forget the legion of Dave Logan fan boys...

now is the time. dave logan bleeds black and gold. he knows Colorado, CU, and the culture and community. if not now, then WHEN?

when will the powers that be bend to the inevitable will of the people and let dave logan fulfilll his one true purpose?

it is fate; it is destiny.

the dave logan era must start now.

JFC man, I’m not going to read all that. What I know is KD is listed on their website as recently placed with CU and George thanked them at the KD introductory presser. I’m not going to pretend to know how much involvement that means and I really don’t care.

giphy.gif

now is the time. dave logan bleeds black and gold. he knows Colorado, CU, and the culture and community. if not now, then WHEN?

when will the powers that be bend to the inevitable will of the people and let dave logan fulfilll his one true purpose?

it is fate; it is destiny.

the dave logan era must start now.
We've been through so many coaching changes in the last 10 years, this isn't even funny anymore.
And I know you're trying.

Have it on good authority, this is what transpired with the Dorrell hire.

On a gloomy February afternoon in the office of the athletic director, both Rick George and Lance Carl stare at the wall (and not a painting of a buffalo) while they wonder what to do next.

Rick George: Well, f*ck Lance. After that Sark-Chev debacle, I ain’t got ****. [heavy sigh] You?

Lance Carl: Nope.

Rick George: I thought that was totally reasonable. Would you turn down a job where you get to look at the Flatirons all day, just because you have to work with the most awesome coordinator in college football? Chev's a good coach! And he's a Buff for life!!

RG receives a push notification from Twitter. Matt Walsh (yeah, that Matt Walsh, but also a Dolphins fan) just retweeted a tweet from Joe Shad stating that Karl Dorrell has been promoted to assistant head coach.

Rick George: Hey, Lance. Matt Walsh says that Karl Dorrell has been promoted to assistant head coach of the MIAMI DOLPHINS. Why haven’t we considered Karl Dorrell? Do you think we could steal him from the MIAMI FOOTBALL DOLPHINS?

Lance Carl: I don’t know. Probably.

Rick George: Do you think we should try?

Lance Carl: Maybe!

Rick George: Should I ask the Magic 8 Ball? [giggles giddy with excitement, as he reaches for the Magic 8 Ball on his desk]

Lance Carl: It is decidedly so! Outlook good!

Both burst out in laughter, as inside jokes about the Magic 8 Ball have dominated the AD's office for years.

Rick George: Magic 8 Ball, should I hire Karl Dorrell to be the next coach of the Colorado Buffaloes?

deargodno-2_orig.jpg

Rick George laughs.

Rick George: I think Señora Magico is confused. Let me ask the question just a bit differently. Magic 8 Ball, por favor, is Karl Dorrell not the right person for the job?

magic-8-ball_3.jpg

Rick George: One more time. Magic 8 Ball, so you're really saying I should not hire Karl Dorrell? We're really tired here.

magic8ball2.0.png

Rick George: Good enough for me, Lance! You good?

Lance Carl: I'm good, Rick!

Rick George: Let's go get our guy, Lance!!!

Lance exits the office, and Rick George asks the Magic 8 Ball one last question after the door closes.

magic8ball8.0.png

Last edited:
Have it on good authority, this is what transpired with the Dorrell hire.

On a gloomy February afternoon in the office of the athletic director, both Rick George and Lance Carl stare at the wall (and not a painting of a buffalo) while they wonder what to do next.

Rick George: Well, f*ck Lance. After that Sark-Chev debacle, I ain’t got ****. [heavy sigh] You?

Rick George: I thought that was totally reasonable. Would you turn down a job where you get to look at the Flatirons all day, just because you have to work with the most awesome coordinator in college football? Chev's a good coach! And he's a Buff for life!!

RG receives a push notification from Twitter. Matt Walsh (yeah, that Matt Walsh, but also a Dolphins fan) just retweeted a tweet from Joe Shad stating that Karl Dorrell has been promoted to assistant head coach.

Rick George: Hey, Lance. Matt Walsh says that Karl Dorrell has been promoted to assistant head coach of the MIAMI DOLPHINS. Why haven’t we considered Karl Dorrell? Do you think we could steal him from the MIAMI FOOTBALL DOLPHINS?

Lance Carl: I don’t know. Probably.

Rick George: Do you think we should try?

Lance Carl: Maybe!

Rick George: Should I ask the Magic 8 Ball? [giggles giddy with excitement, as he reaches for the Magic 8 Ball on his desk]

Lance Carl: It is decidedly so! Outlook good!

Both burst out in laughter, as inside jokes about the Magic 8 Ball have dominated the AD's office for years.

Rick George: Magic 8 Ball, should I hire Karl Dorrell to be the next coach of the Colorado Buffaloes?

deargodno-2_orig.jpg

Rick George laughs.

Rick George: I think Señora Magico is confused. Let me ask the question just a bit differently. Magic 8 Ball, por favor, is Karl Dorrell not the right person for the job?

magic-8-ball_3.jpg

Rick George: One more time. Magic 8 Ball, so you're really saying I should not hire Karl Dorrell? We're really tired here.

magic8ball2.0.png

Rick George: Good enough for me, Lance! You good?

Lance Carl: I'm good, Rick!

Rick George: Let's go get our guy, Lance!!!

Lance exits the office, and Rick George asks the Magic 8 Ball one more question after the door closes.

magic8ball8.0.png
So… Rebecca sent you to the couch because you paid the nanny for the full day and let her EO?

We've been through so many coaching changes in the last 10 years, this isn't even funny anymore.
And I know you're trying.
what? you think i am funny now? funny? like a clown?

[makes stabbing motion with bic pen in your general direction]

Sorry if this has already been discussed and I missed it but the Eastman and Beaudine website lists Karl Dorrell as one of their “recent placements.” I wasn’t aware that they were involved in the last search. I’m not sure what that means for this process if they have ties to that disaster.

Sorry if this has already been discussed and I missed it but the Eastman and Beaudine website lists Karl Dorrell as one of their “recent placements.” I wasn’t aware that they were involved in the last search. I’m not sure what that means for this process if they have ties to that disaster.
This has not been discussed. Thank you for catching this.

Nothing groundbreaking for this board but refreshing to hear. Mentioned why he gave up play-calling when he took over (he knew calling from the sidelines was a weakness and trusted the guy who replaced him). Made a good point about how important NIL, recruiting, recruiting your own guys is and how much has changed so quickly and that you have to be on top of it all the time.. etc. Made a comment about stopping the bleeding and trying to make the games that are left on the schedule not such a slog for both the players but also for the fans. Talked about the fan support despite the fact that we were 0-5 going into the game. Also spoke to the fact that there is now tape of their revamped D and that they'll have to make adjustments on how schools will attack them now that its on tape.

He clearly gets it and understands the job. I really liked his enthusaism.

Edit to add: He also made a good point about getting CU to where we should be, and whether that was him or someone else, his job right now is start that trajectory.

Sanford is doing just about everything right as Interim HC. It's hard to imagine it being enough to get the job. It's also becoming clear why he keeps getting hired for good jobs despite some questionable results at prior jobs.
I think what he said about what they did defensively (basically its a whole new scheme if I heard it right) is impressive.

Sanford is doing just about everything right as Interim HC. It's hard to imagine it being enough to get the job. It's also becoming clear why he keeps getting hired for good jobs despite some questionable results at prior jobs.
He seems like a guy that gets the leadership aspect of the HC (which I sometimes feel is the harder part to find), but it's his actual football coaching skills that are lacking. (Can't remember how his recruiting is/isn't - am I misremembering that he has landed talent in the past, but failed to develop them? (again on the missing football coaching skills if that memory checks out)).

He might actually be good as a ceo type head coach if he had good coordinators under him. The long term problem is that he can't really take over if/when those coordinators leave.

I think I will go drink some (actually more!) bourbon and check back at the beginning of Dec. Nothing of substance will come before then

Realistically, Sanford has two more shots at wins. After OSU and ASU we have no shot.

Back