What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official D coordinator search thread (DJ Eliot hired?)

also he coached at Central Washington for a year in 2008 to get the old coach career rollin', but other than that..

One name I haven't seen, but has major ties to HCMM - Marion Hobby. Currently has co- in title, but has 8 years experience as DC in some capacity. Salary recently bumped up to 500k, so we have room to offer similar but allow him to remove co- and build out a his own staff.

Served on same coaching staff with HCMM 3 times. (UT-Martin, Ole Miss and Duke)

Clemson technically runs a 4-3, but often resembles a 3-4 with often used upright DE.

Lack of west coast presence, but many more positives. Could make announcement right after tonight's game.

Keep checking this thread to see if there's news.

No real news.

Ever.
Not true, I learned who the HC was at Bothell HS in WA. So there's that....

If it is Sirmon, I am a little concerned. Out of sheer boredom, I watched MSSt. play Miami (OH). The MSU D was giving it up like an E. Colfax working girl two months behind on rent.

OTOH, apparently a solid recruiter and was on staff at USC. West coaster (why he ended up in Starkville, I dunno), not many on the MSU boards would be too choked up to see him leave, although many pointed out MSU rally did not have the personnel to run the 3-4 Sirmon wanted. Also, Sirmon campaigned for the Whoregon DC job, but came in behind Jim Leavitt.

Will be interesting to see.

Not true, I learned who the HC was at Bothell HS in WA. So there's that....

If it is Sirmon, I am a little concerned. Out of sheer boredom, I watched MSSt. play Miami (OH). The MSU D was giving it up like an E. Colfax working girl two months behind on rent.

OTOH, apparently a solid recruiter and was on staff at USC. West coaster (why he ended up in Starkville, I dunno), not many on the MSU boards would be too choked up to see him leave, although many pointed out MSU rally did not have the personnel to run the 3-4 Sirmon wanted. Also, Sirmon campaigned for the Whoregon DC job, but came in behind Jim Leavitt.

Will be interesting to see.
Miami scored 17 points right?

wait, I just looked at MSU's season and uh.. let me get this straight, they went 5-7 in the regular season, including wins over Samford and UMass, qualified for a bowl somehow, beat Miami (OH) to finish 6-7 overall.. how the **** do you qualify for a bowl going 5-7 with a win over an FCS team

wait, I just looked at MSU's season and uh.. let me get this straight, they went 5-7 in the regular season, including wins over Samford and UMass, qualified for a bowl somehow, beat Miami (OH) to finish 6-7 overall.. how the **** do you qualify for a bowl going 5-7 with a win over an FCS team
5 of those losses came to SEC teams. Those were quality losses.

Shouldn't have but to each their own. Personally, I would've declined the invite but that's me.

Miami scored 17 points right?
16. Averaged 6.5 ypp. Moved the ball effectively. The Miami QB completed 71% of his passes, no pass rush to speak of. MSU won on a blocked FG as Miami, with the game on the line moved down for a chip shot FG to win. Sorry, but an SEC team should not give over 300 yards of offense to some MAC also ran. That was pretty poor D.

16. Averaged 6.5 ypp. Moved the ball effectively. Sorry, but an SEC team should not give over 300 yards of offense to some MAC also ran. That was pretty poor D.
Yeah out of all of their games last year I have no problem with that one. 300 yards isn't a huge amount and they allowed 16 points. Look at some of the other games for criticism.

Technically, they can count a FCS win as a full win per year. 5 wins is 5 wins to the bowl selection process.

Yeah out of all of their games last year I have no problem with that one. 300 yards isn't a huge amount and they allowed 16 points. Look at some of the other games for criticism.
Sorry, I wasn't very clear, Miami's QB accounted for more than 300 yards of O, all by himself. 263 in the air and another 51 on the ground. The team had 434 yards of O.
434 yards of O puts your team at about 86 or 87 out of 120 in the NCAA for team defense, if that were your season average. Again, an also ran MAC team with a losing record was the opponent.

But you are right, they did even worse over the season, I think they gave up 450 something on the average...

Do we really want to compare Leavitt's first season at Colorado stats vs Sirmon's first season at miss st? He had a rough year but a lot of people do in their first year.

Do we really want to compare Leavitt's first season at Colorado stats vs Sirmon's first season at miss st? He had a rough year but a lot of people do in their first year.

The problem was that Sirman had a rough first year with most of the same talent that many Diaz had the year before.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear, Miami's QB accounted for more than 300 yards of O, all by himself. 263 in the air and another 51 on the ground. The team had 434 yards of O.
434 yards of O puts your team at about 86 or 87 out of 120 in the NCAA for team defense, if that were your season average. Again, an also ran MAC team with a losing record was the opponent.

But you are right, they did even worse over the season, I think they gave up 450 something on the average...
Again I don't really care how many yards they put up, they scored 16 points. You are taking way too much from a bowl game no one cared about. Concerning games would be letting up 58 to Arkansas, 51 to Bama, 38 to Kentucky and Auburn and 41 to Samford. Intriguing games would be holding Mississippi to 20, A&M to 28, BYU to 21, and 23 to LSU.

Arkansas averaged 8.7 yards a rush, Bama averaged 7.0, Kentucky averaged 6.0, Auburn averaged 4.1 and Samford averaged 4.7. There is clearly something wrong with his approach to good rushing teams (which is the disadvantage of being in a 3-4) or maybe his talent there. I am just hoping Mac figured out what the main issue was.

Maybe switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4 without a nose tackle or the proper DE/DTs to plug in didn't work out for them. It certainly gave us issues last year, especially agianst the run. Maybe they didn't have good OLBs for that system. No one has really broken that down yet that I've seen.

The problem was that Sirman had a rough first year with most of the same talent that many Diaz had the year before.
They had 6 Seniors on the defense in 2015, including two 2nd rounders (ILB, Bernardrick McKinney and DE, Preston Smith) and a 6th rounder, OLB Matt Wells, so they definitely lost a decent amount.

Again I don't really care how many yards they put up, they scored 16 points. You are taking way too much from a bowl game no one cared about. Concerning games would be letting up 58 to Arkansas, 51 to Bama, 38 to Kentucky and Auburn and 41 to Samford. Intriguing games would be holding Mississippi to 20, A&M to 28, BYU to 21, and 23 to LSU.

Arkansas averaged 8.7 yards a rush, Bama averaged 7.0, Kentucky averaged 6.0, Auburn averaged 4.1 and Samford averaged 4.7. There is clearly something wrong with his approach to good rushing teams (which is the disadvantage of being in a 3-4) or maybe his talent there. I am just hoping Mac figured out what the main issue was.
The St. Petersburg bowl was the only MSU game I saw, so aside from looking up stats on other games, it is my only reference point. I'll try to do better.

Back