What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official D coordinator search thread (DJ Eliot hired?)

Is Joe Tumpkin a 34 guy? Do we have to drastically change the play book?

He is now. ;)

The rationale for promoting Tumpkin would be continuity with what is working. Along with a belief that he has earned it by the coaching job he has done, including being the main x's & o's guy.

Oregon and Phil Knight are like the Death Star and Darth Vader. This isn't good for the conference, IMO, that Oregon is willing to throw out obscene money in order to win. Luckily for CU, it isn't always about how much you spend.

Meh. Oregon overpaid, it will come back to bite them eventually.

I just want to throw my hat in the mix. I attended CU and watched from the bleachers as Fairbanks decimated our program. Coached 9-10 year old little league teams 1993-1995 with an overall record of 16-8 with 2 appearances in the Skate City/Dots' Laundromat Bowl. I pioneered the use of the cover 2, two gap 3-4 defense in the central columbia county rec league holding opponents to an average of less than 100 ypg total offense. I received a trophy from one of my teams for "Coach of the Century" and had many parents comment on how much fun their kids were having. Overall I think I have the right combination of experience, training, and drive to improve on what Leavitt started.

I expect Leavitt to get job offers after this season. He'll get immediate improvement at Oregon. Basic competence would have done better than the results on defense they had this season and next year they are in better shape from a personnel standpoint. Should be enough to vault him into a P5 HC opportunity.

I just want to throw my hat in the mix. I attended CU and watched from the bleachers as Fairbanks decimated our program. Coached 9-10 year old little league teams 1993-1995 with an overall record of 16-8 with 2 appearances in the Skate City/Dots' Laundromat Bowl. I pioneered the use of the cover 2, two gap 3-4 defense in the central columbia county rec league holding opponents to an average of less than 100 ypg total offense. I received a trophy from one of my teams for "Coach of the Century" and had many parents comment on how much fun their kids were having. Overall I think I have the right combination of experience, training, and drive to improve on what Leavitt started.

This ain't intramurals brotha!

Everyone keeps talking about who HCMM is going to pick.....isn't RG in this decision making process? In many ways, I trust his judgement more than MM, but no one, here at least, is talking about RG input. If RG is worth his salt, he always has a running network of who he goes after. Every successful program in the nation has coaches poached all the time, how they handle it and keep the success going isn't something that CU has to pioneer how it is done.

Everyone keeps talking about who HCMM is going to pick.....isn't RG in this decision making process? In many ways, I trust his judgement more than MM, but no one, here at least, is talking about RG input. If RG is worth his salt, he always has a running network of who he goes after. Every successful program in the nation has coaches poached all the time, how they handle it and keep the success going isn't something that CU has to pioneer how it is done.

It is HCMM's job to select the coordinator. It is RG's job to pay him.

Of course Lance Carl and Rick George will offer their advice and their input on the search, but this is MacIntyre's responsibility.

I posted on this. So many posts it could have easily gotten lost. In short, HCMM, with Lance Carl and Rick George, has to make great decisions on the 2017 defensive staff. We are trying to replace an elite coordinator, so we can't afford to slip too far there. And we have to use this as an opportunity to get better recruiters onto the defensive staff. Could be an extra opportunity there if the NCAA confirms the vote to increase assistant staffs from 9 to 10 this year.

P.S. CU fans on twitter may be the dumbest football fans on the planet. The popular candidate? Former CU OL Coach Les Miles (because he had good defenses at LSU and is a great recruiter).

True. But ****, you gotta admit that that would epic. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Speaking of idots will bonnie is harassing football players again... someone needs to smack the **** and disappear the ****er

Meh. Oregon overpaid, it will come back to bite them eventually.
I'm just kind of scratching my head on the Taggart hire. I mean, maybe this will turn out great for Oregon, but Taggart, coming from South Florida, seems like an odd fit. Hell. I don't know.

I posted on this. So many posts it could have easily gotten lost. In short, HCMM, with Lance Carl and Rick George, has to make great decisions on the 2017 defensive staff. We are trying to replace an elite coordinator, so we can't afford to slip too far there. And we have to use this as an opportunity to get better recruiters onto the defensive staff. Could be an extra opportunity there if the NCAA confirms the vote to increase assistant staffs from 9 to 10 this year.
All three of those guys will work together. I wonder how long they've known about this? I'd imagine they didn't have much more notice than us fans got. I don't think there is a lot of urgency, at this point, to fill the position. There are still a lot of domino's out there with the NFL and bowl seasons still in progress.

I'm just kind of scratching my head on the Taggart hire. I mean, maybe this will turn out great for Oregon, but Taggart, coming from South Florida, seems like an odd fit. Hell. I don't know.

He got the USF job due to the job he did at Stanford.

If you had a couple of e-mails to read, you might get a look...

Ty Gregorak-DC at Montana State and he was the DC at Montana before that (former linebacker here). Under Gregorak’s direction, MSU allowed 84 yards and 9.2 points per game fewer in 2016 than the team did in 2015... the Bobcat rush defense improved by 102 yards a game, pass defense efficiency by 26.3 points, interceptions by seven, opponent third down conversion rate by 6 percentage points.... MSU’s defense finished in top three of Big Sky rankings in five categories (scoring, yards allowed, rush yards allowed, pass defense efficiency, and opponent third down conversion rate).
Montana – Gregorak’s defenses (coordinator 2012-15, linebackers coach 2003-09 and 2011-15) led the Big Sky in total defense three times (2006, ’07 and ’11), rush defense four times (2003, ’06, 11 and ’12), pass defense twice (2006, ’08), and scoring defense seven times (2005-09, ’11, ’14)... UM won or shared eight Big Sky titles during Gregorak’s 12 seasons, advancing to the FCS Playoffs 11 times, the semifinals five times, and the championship game three times... UM led the Big Sky in red zone defense in 2013-14-15... Montana won 123 games in 12 seasons with Gregorak on staff.
Washington – Coached in 2001 Holiday Bowl, 2002 Sun Bowl

If RG is too involved in the process, we will go cheap. Love the guy, but his checkbook has a steel trap on it.

Back