What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official D coordinator search thread (DJ Eliot hired?)

That's quite a nice recipe. I'm glad you aren't running my business.
Most people who are brought in to right the ship on a business that's going bankrupt turn an immediate profit the first year they work, right? There's no building up, losing money to gain market share, respect, improve the product; it's just step 1: new AD step 2: profit

I'm glad you aren't running my business, or at least not trying to right the ship of a failing one

Uhh, ok.
Sell out the stadium - don't hang on to those last 1200 seats because you can't get top dollar for them. Not only does that cost you money ($0 < $50) but no one cares when they look at the stat sheets if you cut prices to sell them.

They see 1 of 2 things:
6 home sellouts (or 5,4 whatever)
1 home sellout - avg attendance 41k

It's not a huge impact, but it's got to be a weapon used in recruiting:

"Do you want to play in front of 80k fans at our sold out stadium every Saturday or go play for CU? They can't even sell out their 50k stadium"

Bad business model. A good chunk of the 49,000 people who paid top dollar are going to wait until the last minute to buy tickets for the next game at a discount or even skip season tickets the next year and grab the last minute discount tickets.

I wish we sold out every game, and maybe we will get there. But no one in the west, short of Utah and Oregon, is even coming close to selling out every home game. And those sell outs are 25-35k short of 80k.

Nothing screams big time like a division leading, 15th ranked team that still can't sell out it's 50k seat stadium

After a decade of deplorable performance, are you really surprised by sluggish attendance?

This isn't Lincoln, there's like other stuff to do.

When I look at next year's schedule and at the price I'm paying, I get a bit queezy. What a crap schedule!

CSU
San Jose St.
Northern Colorado
Cal
Washington
Arizona
USC

Last edited:
After a decade of deplorable performance, are you really surprised by sluggish attendance?

This isn't Lincoln, there's like other stuff to do.
No, I'm surprised that RG didn't realize he couldn't get primo pricing after said decade.

Zandi clearly has a personal ax to grind with RG. Anyone thinking RG isn't doing an amazing job isn't living in reality.
The only axe I have is that he seems to worry about money in the wrong times / places. I do think he has / is doing an amazing job. That doesn't mean he couldn't do it better.

Sometimes, you need to look at the big picture instead of counting the beans

The only axe I have is that he seems to worry about money in the wrong times / places. I do think he has / is doing an amazing job. That doesn't mean he couldn't do it better.

Much of what you're calling for is in line with how Bohn managed things.

You cannot be ****ing serious.

CU-athletics-complex-Champions-Center.jpg

GYJHTKFZYOTXLOJ.20160223044510.jpg

Much of what you're calling for is in line with how Bohn managed things.
How many of the seat prices went up once we started winning?

None, you say?

So he was expecting people to fork over $100+ for upper level seats to watch a team that hadn't had a winning record in a decade, but I'm wrong for thinking maybe we should fill up the stadium, build the fanbase back up, THEN maybe up the ticket price? You know, once the product was worth the price?

None, you say?

So he was expecting people to fork over $100+ for upper level seats to watch a team that hadn't had a winning record in a decade, but I'm wrong for thinking maybe we should fill up the stadium, build the fanbase back up, THEN maybe up the ticket price? You know, once the product was worth the price?
Did you go to the last two games? I don't think we have anything to worry about. Over capacity crowd for Utah and a damn good crowd for WSU. I think he accomplished his mission and season tickets will be very valuable next year.

Did you go to the last two games? I don't think we have anything to worry about. Over capacity crowd for Utah and a damn good crowd for WSU. I think he accomplished his mission and season tickets will be very valuable next year.
Yes, as stated before I was at every home game.

The showing for the last 2 games was impressive. I still remember all of the guess the attendance threads, and the common theme seemed to always be:

The prices for section X is too high compared to section Y.

Again, not hating on RG. Not saying he has done a horrible job. Just saying there is room to improve.

None, you say?

I didn't make a judgment, just said that your thinking aligns with Bohn's on this topic.

The negative of doing what you suggest is that it dilutes the value of tickets, particularly to season ticket holders. The season ticket holder base is the lifeblood of the program's finances. It also creates an expectation that if someone wants to go to a CU game he can wait until the last minute and buy a ticket for 20 bucks. The net result, over time, is that you lose season ticket holders and those $20 fans are never willing to pay the full price $120 for a ticket once the team is good. Rick George has refused to compromise his brand equity. The only ways he does discounted tickets are: 1) a promotion to season ticket holders or students to allow them to buy extra seats on the cheap; 2) discounted tickets for Chip's VIB kids members along with 1 parent; and, 3) a promotion where fans can donate money to buy full-priced tickets which are then given to community members by the AD. This is good business and smart strategy. Attendance climbed significantly this year and we should expect to see a significant increase in season ticket purchases next year along with a significant increase in student ticket packages purchased (which he did reduce prices on a lot this year).

Reactions: dio
Seeing as this thread has gone off he rails a bit, I would be surprised if season ticket sales next year arent well ahead of where they were this year.
There's still some good bargains to be had in the South End Zone. If we averaged 45,000 per game this year, I suspect we will be a lot closer to 50,000 next year. Probably not a sellout for every game, but both USC and UW come to Boulder next year. Depending on where we are when those games are played, we could get two big crowds there.

CSU is playing CU, Alabama and Oregon State next year? Either they're masochists or just stupid. Nothing like heading into conference play at 0-3.

Back