What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official D coordinator search thread (DJ Eliot hired?)

I get tired of the clueless media guys saying stupid stuff. Schlereth and Evans were saying, "CU does not have the ability to pay assistants (well) because of state law." WTF? I know the TABOR constraints are confusing, but we can pay assistants as much as we can afford, for one thing, and there are no constraints on the coordinator positions, really. We can sign a DC for 5 years and whatever we can afford.

One question. If the NCAA approves the 10th coach, doesn't that actually hurt us? At that point, EVERY NCAA program is looking to add 1 more coach. Kinda thins out the available pool.

I get tired of the clueless media guys saying stupid stuff. Schlereth and Evans were saying, "CU does not have the ability to pay assistants (well) because of state law." WTF? I know the TABOR constraints are confusing, but we can pay assistants as much as we can afford, for one thing, and there are no constraints on the coordinator positions, really. We can sign a DC for 5 years and whatever we can afford.
But at most the football program gets 3 long term contracts. The other assistants will be month to month, and that is a SEVERE disadvantage when going up against the big boys.

As JFYL has shown, it's ALL about the money.

all-the-right-moves.jpg

I'm for hiring this guy. I loves me the 6-2 Stack Monster scheme. Needs to be brought back. He can do it.

We only have 6 multi year contracts available. That is the TABOR constraint.

As of now CU has:

1) Rick George, AD
2) Mike MacIntyre, FBHC
3) Tad Boyle, BBHC
4) J.R. Payne, BBHC
5) Jesse Mahoney, VBHC
6) Open (was Leavitt's)

So sure we can afford to pay an assistant whatever we want, but if they fall outside of those 6 spots, they are all single year contracts.

No question that Leavitt is/was a great D coordinator, but folks could be drastically undervaluing Tumpkin's impact on the team/scheme.
And MM's impact as well. MM knows good defense and is a very good defensive coach. He'll keep the defense on this team at a high level and will know what he is looking for in his defensive staff going forward.

Your point is pretty incoherent right now.
Uhh, ok.
Sell out the stadium - don't hang on to those last 1200 seats because you can't get top dollar for them. Not only does that cost you money ($0 < $50) but no one cares when they look at the stat sheets if you cut prices to sell them.

They see 1 of 2 things:
6 home sellouts (or 5,4 whatever)
1 home sellout - avg attendance 41k

It's not a huge impact, but it's got to be a weapon used in recruiting:

"Do you want to play in front of 80k fans at our sold out stadium every Saturday or go play for CU? They can't even sell out their 50k stadium"

Uhh, ok.
Sell out the stadium - don't hang on to those last 1200 seats because you can't get top dollar for them. Not only does that cost you money ($0 < $50) but no one cares when they look at the stat sheets if you cut prices to sell them.

They see 1 of 2 things:

"Do you want to play in front of 80k fans at our sold out stadium every Saturday or go play for CU? They can't even sell out their 50k stadium"

So far, doesn't seem like that negative pitch you are selling is working.

Uhh, ok.

They see 1 of 2 things:

So if you act early and buy a seat for $125 or so, you're not going to be pissed if you find out the guy next to you got his for $50 because he waited until the last minute?

So if you act early and buy a seat for $125 or so, you're not going to be pissed if you find out the guy next to you got his for $50 because he waited until the last minute?
As a season ticket holder, it's always nice to know that the guy next to me paid half of what I paid on Stubhub. But if he bought it from RG, I'd have a response.

No question that Leavitt is/was a great D coordinator, but folks could be drastically undervaluing Tumpkin's impact on the team/scheme.
And MM's impact as well. MM knows good defense and is a very good defensive coach. He'll keep the defense on this team at a high level and will know what he is looking for in his defensive staff going forward.

• Coached under the infamous Bill Parcells at Dallas Cowboys.
  • Turned around one of the worst G5 programs in Div 1 before leaving early (with his entire staff) for Colorado.
  • Shook up the same staff after underperformance including hiring Leavitt.
  • Recruiting made a turn for the better after that shakeup.
  • Took Colorado from worst to conference championship game and a bowl.
  • Recruiting made another turn for the better.
  • Won coach of the year. Saw the DC he rehabilitated mentioned for numerous awards and get hired away for more money.

What is it I am supposed to be worried about?

People criticized me for sticking up for him / with him after last season. But I like stability and there are far too many flashes in the pan in this business that come and go because they cant cut it. While a guy like MM gets it done with good fundamentals and good coaching. I have a feeling that MM will go out and find another fine DC that can get the job done.

One question. If the NCAA approves the 10th coach, doesn't that actually hurt us? At that point, EVERY NCAA program is looking to add 1 more coach. Kinda thins out the available pool.
I would say it hurts the G5 programs. The P5 schools will be able to hire one more great coach leaving more scraps for the rest. Probably not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things, though. The haves will still be the haves and the have nots will still be the Rams.

As a season ticket holder, it's always nice to know that the guy next to me paid half of what I paid on Stubhub. But if he bought it from RG, I'd have a response.

That doesn't bother me personally since it means the season ticket holder next to me sold it at a personal loss to get a butt in the seat. It bothers me in terms of concern for the program that the market value is below the MAP policy for that seat. That's the part that needs to change. CU does not seem to be offering enough value on a ticket in terms of market perception.

Uhh, ok.

They see 1 of 2 things:

Curious. Did you attend games this year? I sure as hell hope so. I was at every one and the crowds were phenomenal. And, sure, it took winning. But when the games mattered, I think we were just shy of a sellout for WSU and we did sell out Utah.

Curious. Did you attend games this year? I sure as hell hope so. I was at every one and the crowds were phenomenal. And, sure, it took winning. But when the games mattered, I think we were just shy of a sellout for WSU and we did sell out Utah.
I attended every home game, CSU and UM - however I work for the Band so I only paid for UM.

The crowds at the end of the season were really good, not so much during the middle. OSU was pathetic to watch us destroy a P5 team.

I'd be happier than looking at the empty seat next to me and realizing the AD got nothing for it.

If we get to where most of us would like to be, that guy who waits won't get a seat. We aren't there yet.

Back