What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official realignment thread - SEC formally invites OU and Texas to join the conference in 2025

So what’s the angle with this move from a team by team competitive standpoint? A division with Texas, aTm, OU and LSU. How is LSU pumped about that? How are OU and UT pumped about having a significantly harder road to a CCG, let alone actually beating Bama, UGA, Florida, etc?

I get the money aspect, but none of those programs are hurting for money as it is. Is this just a long term play to position the conference for an even bigger shift in the future?

So what’s the angle with this move from a team by team competitive standpoint? A division with Texas, aTm, OU and LSU. How is LSU pumped about that? How are OU and UT pumped about having a significantly harder road to a CCG, let alone actually beating Bama, UGA, Florida, etc?

I get the money aspect, but none of those programs are hurting for money as it is. Is this just a long term play to position the conference for an even bigger shift in the future?

It’s about safeguarding their future. People want to see the best teams play against each other on a more regular basis.

I think the best move from the PAC-12 standpoint is to not expand. I can’t see any of the available options increasing the per-school payout.

I think the best move from the PAC-12 standpoint is to not expand. I can’t see any of the available options increasing the per-school payout.
The per school payout can’t be the only aspect that drives the decision to expand or not. The talent base in CA is eroding and the elite talent has been leaving the footprint for a few years now (this is only going to accelerate if these mergers go through). If the Pac 12 wants to remain remotely competitive, they have to get into Texas and CTZ in order to compete for recruits and TV time slots. Staying at 12 just so the per team share of $$ remains the same is a laughable move that will eventually kill anything resembling a relevant football conference.

The per school payout can’t be the only aspect that drives the decision to expand or not. The talent base in CA is eroding and the elite talent has been leaving the footprint for a few years now (this is only going to accelerate if these mergers go through). If the Pac 12 wants to remain remotely competitive, they have to get into Texas and CTZ in order to compete for recruits and TV time slots. Staying at 12 just so the per team share of $$ remains the same is a laughable move that will eventually kill anything resembling a relevant football conference.
I get your point. But do you think any of the schools are going to take less money to expand?

It’s the future and you need to be proactive. I wouldn’t be surprised if Clemson and FSU were also being considered and if college football ended up with one or maybe two super conferences.
This is why the Pac 12 must expand. Hell, at this point, I would think long and hard about going directly to a 20 team conference by taking all remaining Big 12 teams if possible and try to go to market first with a super conference of your own. Or maybe go get the Texas programs and Cincinnati or something. The Pac 12 has to be bold, mostly because there is nothing to lose at this point.

I get your point. But do you think any of the schools are going to take less money to expand?
What’s the alternative? Not expand and watch the conference slowly wither away and drop to G5/6 status and lose money anyways? If something doesn’t get done, USC and Oregon (and likely Washington and UCLA) are gone.

As I’ve been saying, there are no good options, but doing nothing is the worst option there is at this point

This is why the Pac 12 must expand. Hell, at this point, I would think long and hard about going directly to a 20 team conference by taking all remaining Big 12 teams if possible and try to go to market first with a super conference of your own. Or maybe go get the Texas programs and Cincinnati or something. The Pac 12 has to be bold, mostly because there is nothing to lose at this point.
You can’t just expand to 20 crummy schools. Again, this doesn’t help anyone. Jump to 20, then USC, Oregon and Washington leave to the ever growing SEC in five years, and you’re left with a 17 team worthless conference that falls to division 2.

What’s the alternative? Not expand and watch the conference slowly wither away and drop to G5/6 status and lose money anyways? If something doesn’t get done, USC and Oregon (and likely Washington and UCLA) are gone.

As I’ve been saying, there are no good options, but doing nothing is the worst option there is at this point

I think those four will ultimately end up being irrelevant largely because the West Coast doesn’t care about college football enough.

I think we’re already seeing how the national attention largely focuses on just two conferences and in 10 years I think that’ll be cemented and it wouldn’t surprise me if it was all about a ~20 team SEC super conference.

You can’t just expand to 20 crummy schools. Again, this doesn’t help anyone. Jump to 20, then USC, Oregon and Washington leave to the ever growing SEC in five years, and you’re left with a 17 team worthless conference that falls to division 2.
Again, they have to do something. Standing pt at 12 teams simply isn’t and option.

I think those four will ultimately end up being irrelevant largely because the West Coast doesn’t care about college football enough.

I think we’re already seeing how the national attention largely focuses on just two conferences and in 10 years I think that’ll be cemented and it wouldn’t surprise me if it was all about a ~20 team SEC super conference.
You might be right, but I would think USC and Oregon at a minimum would be attractive

I would think the BIG’s dream would be ND, Iowa State, UVA, and one of Kansas, WVU, or Pittsburgh.

As a CU fan, I hope quality of roadies is low on the administration priority list. We’re in the best conference for roadies now and CU travels like s**t. CU fans travel when we’re winners, not when we go to nice places.
That's true.

That's kind of where I'm at. I could maybe go with the NV schools as a roll of the dice on state population & school growth if paid a smaller share. If I had to pick 4 from that list, it gets hard. I think agricultural schools are a challenge in terms of conference fit. Maybe UNM & TTU? At least that gives us regionally paired rivalries.
I agree, I don't see anybody on that list that adds anything worth the effort.

You might be right, but I would think USC and Oregon at a minimum would be attractive

UW, too. But I think there’s a chance they’re SOL due to the geography.

I can see the SEC ending up at 24 or so. Oklahoma, Texas, Clemson, Miami FL, Florida State, Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin plus someone else.

Back