What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official realignment thread - SEC formally invites OU and Texas to join the conference in 2025

Somebody needs to tell them that they currently lack a quorum in the legislature, and there's zero chance they'll get a quorum before the conference change goes down.

If people aren't following politics at all right now: it is literally impossible for the Texas legislature to pass anything at the moment.
Also, even if they had a quorum, I believe when the Texas legislature is in special session the Governor is responsible for setting the agenda which is why the current agenda is a bunch of red meat cultural and voting rights issues rather than say addressing their pretty significant power infrastructure problem because he wants an agenda to stir up his base and help him get reelected next year. The current governor is a Texas ex so this legislative initiative is probably not going any further than a short term political stunt.

When the B12 was formed the governor was a Baylor grad and the speaker of the house was a Baylor and Tech alum. Ten years ago during the failed move to a P16 the Governor was a former Aggy Yell Leader, and Aggy wanted the SEC rather than being begrudgingly dragged to California. It took Texas a couple of tries but they appear to have finally learned the lesson that they need to time any moves for when they have a favorable political environment

Last edited:
If the powers-that-be at CU aren't actually interested in winning, which all evidence supports that they aren't, it doesn't matter which conference CU is in.
I wouldn’t say they aren’t interested in winning. More like they’re not interested in doing what is needed to win championships. They’re interested in winning enough to get on TV and help promote the school, but that commitment falls way short of doing what it takes to elevate to the same level of the elites in college football. In order to get on TV and promote the school, the conference affiliation is very important.

Football is easily as important as those two down there, so yes, I expect something to get done quickly

Two reasons that there will be no legislation passed preventing UT leaving the B12.

1. The governor has to add the specific legislation to the current special session or it cannot be heard by the state congress. The governor is a UT alum and he isn’t going to add it to his agenda.

2. The Democrats fled the state 11 days ago to prevent certain legislation being passed. If the governor were to add the agenda item, which he isn’t, the democrats would have to return to the state, which they won’t.

Two reasons that there will be no legislation passed preventing UT leaving the B12.

1. The governor has to add the specific legislation to the current special session or it cannot be heard by the state congress. The governor is a UT alum and he isn’t going to add it to his agenda.

2. The Democrats fled the state 11 days ago to prevent certain legislation being passed. If the governor were to add the agenda item, which he isn’t, the democrats would have to return to the state, which they won’t.
Interesting. Thanks.

Sounds like things are very different this time.

Notes from the Big 12 meeting: reaching out to the Pac-12 about a merger into a 20-team conference with OU & UT leaving

Other stories I've seen repeatedly saying TTU & TCU see the Pac-12 as their only good landing spot so they're pushing that forward. I'm intrigued by the idea of them plus OSU and KU (or KSU). I don't think I like the idea of 20.

UW, too. But I think there’s a chance they’re SOL due to the geography.

I can see the SEC ending up at 24 or so. Oklahoma, Texas, Clemson, Miami FL, Florida State, Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin plus someone else.

I just don't see any way that USC and Oregon are left out, and maybe UW too.

So what’s the angle with this move from a team by team competitive standpoint? A division with Texas, aTm, OU and LSU. How is LSU pumped about that? How are OU and UT pumped about having a significantly harder road to a CCG, let alone actually beating Bama, UGA, Florida, etc?

I get the money aspect, but none of those programs are hurting for money as it is. Is this just a long term play to position the conference for an even bigger shift in the future?

Maybe a move to position themselves for breaking away from the NCAA and forming a top-tier lever of college football?

Notes from the Big 12 meeting: reaching out to the Pac-12 about a merger into a 20-team conference with OU & UT leaving

Other stories I've seen repeatedly saying TTU & TCU see the Pac-12 as their only good landing spot so they're pushing that forward. I'm intrigued by the idea of them plus OSU and KU (or KSU). I don't think I like the idea of 20.
This is why the Pac 12 must expand. Hell, at this point, I would think long and hard about going directly to a 20 team conference by taking all remaining Big 12 teams if possible and try to go to market first with a super conference of your own. Or maybe go get the Texas programs and Cincinnati or something. The Pac 12 has to be bold, mostly because there is nothing to lose at this point.

I don't want Baylor. Really bad cultural fit which I don't think could get the votes anyway.

WVU is too much of a geographical outlier (as is Cincy), so I'm against those.

Iowa State is a stretch both geographically and on whether it brings much in recruiting or media value. AAU, so could maybe get the votes if it came down to it.

I think Houston and, as @skibum brought up, Tulane could have legs due to markets, recruiting grounds and academic standards.

All correct.

This proposed bill is nothing more than political grandstanding aimed at trying to influence votes from the fans of those schools that are going to be left out. Even if they had the political consensus to pass something it wouldn't happen fast enough to stop this from happening, but they don't even have that.

Ideally:

KU & ISU to Big Ten
Baylor & Miami (or FSU) to SEC
WVU & UCF (plus ND) to ACC
OU, UT, OSU & TTU to P12

We get one hell of a regional & power-balanced Power Four conferences of 64 teams.
This would be close to the only thing that would at least for a time save college football as we know it. Not going to happen but for fans of the game as it is the best option.

There is great symmetry to the 16 team/4 pod system with a 9 game conference schedule.

When I look at a 20 team conference, how does it work?
5 pods of 4, playing your pod plus 1 each from the other 4 pods and 1 other on a rotating basis?
Top 2 ranked pod winners play in the conference chapionship?

Of course, this didn’t stop the SEC from having conference teams not face each other in conference play for better part of a decade.

Call me a purist.

Here's a somewhat crazy scenario that the Pac-12 should pursue:

Go after Nebraska.

The money would be damn difficult, but that's also a fan base that is desperately frustrated by losing its connections to its traditional travel destinations & rivalries and also hates that it's no longer a national power without direct access to recruiting hotbeds.

Last year there was even talk about the B1G kicking them out due to how it bitched about Covid policy and many of the top brass around the conference don't like having a non-AAU member.

Pac-12 needs another traditional football power to anchor the East if the conference can justify going to 16 teams. Nebraska fits that need.

If you can pull it off, go all in with revenue/value/rivalries. Take Boise State to pair with Utah since CU would be with NU. Finish off with the next largest alumni bases in Texas with TTU & UH for media and recruiting.

With pods scheduling* groups, we'd get:

Northwest: UO, OSU, UW, WSU
California: Cal, Stanford, UCLA, USC
Mountain: CU, NU, BSU, Utah
Southwest: ASU, UA, UH, TTU

* pods scheduling is playing the 3 teams in your pod every year along with 2 teams from each of the other pods for a 9-game schedule. (Could also flip BSU/UU with TTU/UH if it would make NU happier.)

If I was commish, I'd use every resource at my disposal to make this happen. Ex: put the TX teams in its pod and have the annual game with TTU played in Dallas.

Last edited:

Go after ****braska.

The money would be damn difficult, but that's also a fan base that is desperately frustrated by losing its connections to its traditional travel destinations & rivalries and also hates that it's no longer a national power without direct access to recruiting hotbeds.

Last year there was even talk about the B1G kicking them out due to how it bitched about Covid policy and many of the top brass around the conference don't like having a non-AAU member.

Pac-12 needs another traditional football power to anchor the East if the conference can justify going to 16 teams. ****braska fits that need.

If you can pull it off, go all in with revenue/value/rivalries. Take Boise State to pair with Utah since CU would be with NU. Finish off with the next largest alumni bases in Texas with TTU & UH for media and recruiting.

* pods scheduling is playing the 3 teams in your pod every year along with 2 teams from each of the other pods for a 9-game schedule. (Could also flip BSU/UU with TTU/UH if it would make NU happier.)

If I was commish, I'd use every resource at my disposal to make this happen. Ex: put the TX teams in its pod and have the annual game with TTU played in Dallas.
You missed the point where Nebraska doesn’t consider us a rival, which means this is DOA, no matter how laughable that notion is considering we are 6-6 in the last 20 years.

For perspective, here we're the power conference revenues for 2020:

Big Ten: $768.9 (14 teams = $54.9 each)
SEC: $728.9 (14 teams = $52.0 each)
Pac-12: $533.8 (12 teams = $44.5 each)
ACC: $496.7 (14 teams = $35.5 each minus ND's share)
Big 12: $409.2 (10 teams = $40.9 each)

Link: https://247sports.com/Article/Power...2020-Big-Ten-Big-12-Pac-12-SEC-ACC-165594608/

Pac-12 basically has to clean up the Pac-12 Network operating cost & distribution albatross. But the raw numbers are there to make it so NU could be made financially whole even with leaving the B1G and it's easy with the others. Especially since the setup I proposed in my previous post would be able to drive a much bigger media deal.

You missed the point where ****braska doesn’t consider us a rival, which means this is DOA, no matter how laughable that notion is considering we are 6-6 in the last 20 years.
If the game didn't mean anything to them they wouldn't keep doing non-conference scheduling contracts with us. And currently they don't have a real rivalry game unless you count Iowa (but they lose every year and UI would rather have the more competitive ISU game).

Go after ****braska.

Pac-12 needs another traditional football power to anchor the East if the conference can justify going to 16 teams. ****braska fits that need.

I do hope that the new commish is thinking outside the box like this. He should be looking for ways to make Pac-12 relevant on the national football scene. This would be a step in that direction.

Is the conference even willing to get off its stupid ****ing high horse on these schools?

We're mad as hell but we won't do a damn thing about it.

Nice Aggie!
I need odds that this is all happening.

OU/UT to SEC: -600
B12/P12 merge: +1000
P12/B1G 20 mega conference: +500
USC, UCLA, CU and Oregon to B1G: +200
USC, UCLA, Oregon and UDub to B1G: +250

Back