What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Washington State Game Thread (10/21, 8:45 on ESPN)

With modern football and football fields, weather isn't really as much of a factor as it once was. Unless, its a complete down pour or snowing sideways, it really isn't going to matter one way or another.

With modern football and football fields, weather isn't really as much of a factor as it once was. Unless, its a complete down pour or snowing sideways, it really isn't going to matter one way or another.
th

I disagree. While field conditions have improved, the factor of a wet ball/hands/arms, can significantly change the game dynamic.

Seems like every time we talk about weather and it impeding a passing attack it turns out not to matter. So I’m going with, “it’s not going to matter”.

rain will affect throwing which affects Falk more than it affects us. I'll take Montez and Lindsay running all day over WSU's running game.
If we're within 7 going into the fourth we walk out of there with a W.

WSU uses field turf, so it won't have any where near the same effect on field conditions that it would if they had natural grass. My understanding is that the latest WR and QB gloves and actually work better when they are a bit wet than when they are dry.

Where it starts to matter is:
1) Under any rainy situation, fumbles should be at least double the chance for both teams
2) A 15+ MPH baseline wind with higher gusts will impact the intermediate and long range passing game
3) If it is legitimately a torrential downpour for most of the game it favors CU's running capabilities over WSU passing attack - provided we don't turn their RB in to a one game Heisman hopeful with our swiss cheese run defense since Javier went down

WSU uses field turf, so it won't have any where near the same effect on field conditions that it would if they had natural grass. My understanding is that the latest WR and QB gloves and actually work better when they are a bit wet than when they are dry.

Where it starts to matter is:
1) Under any rainy situation, fumbles should be at least double the chance for both teams
2) A 15+ MPH baseline wind with higher gusts will impact the intermediate and long range passing game
3) If it is legitimately a torrential downpour for most of the game it favors CU's running capabilities over WSU passing attack - provided we don't turn their RB in to a one game Heisman hopeful with our swiss cheese run defense since Javier went down
Not sure about the gloves but the ones I have seen are a disaster in the rain, as soon as any moisture gets on there all the stick goes away.

Not sure about the gloves but the ones I have seen are a disaster in the rain, as soon as any moisture gets on there all the stick goes away.
I thought there were two different types - some that get tacky with limited dampness and actually makes it easier to catch the ball, but I'm pulling this 3rd hand from NFL Today and ESPN Gameday shows over the years - I have no first hand knowledge.

I thought there were two different types - some that get tacky with limited dampness and actually makes it easier to catch the ball, but I'm pulling this 3rd hand from NFL Today and ESPN Gameday shows over the years - I have no first hand knowledge.
You're right, Highlander. The tacky gloves that I've seen get pretty sticky with just a little bit of water and then are patted dry. If it's a consistent rain and everything is soaked, they don't do much.

They get slimy in my experience with them, the older ones. These new ones I have not used so no idea on those?

I've got rain gloves for golfing that do grip better when they are damp - I have to assume there is an equivalent football glove.

From th noaa site

Saturday Night
Rain. The rain could be heavy at times. Low around 45. Windy, with a south wind 21 to 30 mph, with gusts as high as 45 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.

Welp 100% is a pretty good chance. Look at the bright side, rainy game conditions not too far from Halloween. Itd be fun as ****.

We always wish for snow whenever a tough opponent comes to Boulder thinking we're better adapted to conditions here - don't you think Wazzu is thinking the same thing? They live in the rain.

We always wish for snow whenever a tough opponent comes to Boulder thinking we're better adapted to conditions here - don't you think Wazzu is thinking the same thing? They live in the rain.

Seems unlikely with the offense they run. Whether you practice in it or not, rain and wind are not good for the passing game.

Well...there are only a handful of hotels in this "Pullman" village. A friend and I are roadtripping from Portland, so if anyone knows of a good place (hotel or just general town en route back to Portland) to crash hit me up! We aint spending over $284 a night in some podunk hotel that probably has a cow for a neighbor...

It's very stupid argument that we make, tbh. Whenever the weather is poor in Boulder, the team practices inside and they basically always have, plus, the majority of CU's roster grew up in CA/TX and have never played in snow. They are no more adapted to snowy and cold conditions than the pretty boys at SC and UCLA.

Back