What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

OSU @ CU

This game is still huge. We need to beat a respectable PAC12 team to start turning heads and help with recruiting. OSU isn't great, but the best all around team we've played this year.

Game is absolutely huge. Its a big recruiting weekend. It is a must win to keep bowl hopes alive. Gets us back to .500. We need a good crowd, Saturday.

Doing some searching of OSU boards, Bolden is unlikely to play Saturday. Riley says the sutures for his surgery won't be out until at least Thursday, meaning he won't be able to do any catching drills until thursday evening/friday. DT's Grimble and Tago are undergoing MRI's today. So a lot should be known tomorrow (knees I think). Apparently USC was going after the knees of the DL (allegedly)

Board I saw is upset about the USC game. Feel they absolutely need this win this Saturday. Kind of split on whether or not they will win. Seems their offense is missing playmakers. Storm Woods is good, but he may be it. Their strength, despite how good Mannion is, is the run game.

Guess we will know a lot more tomorrow on where the health of their stands. They may have some big time issues on the DL.

Doing some searching of OSU boards, Bolden is unlikely to play Saturday. Riley says the sutures for his surgery won't be out until at least Thursday, meaning he won't be able to do any catching drills until thursday evening/friday. DT's Grimble and Tago are undergoing MRI's today. So a lot should be known tomorrow (knees I think). Apparently USC was going after the knees of the DL (allegedly)

Board I saw is upset about the USC game. Feel they absolutely need this win this Saturday. Kind of split on whether or not they will win. Seems their offense is missing playmakers. Storm Woods is good, but he may be it. Their strength, despite how good Mannion is, is the run game.

Guess we will know a lot more tomorrow on where the health of their stands. They may have some big time issues on the DL.
Thanks for the reconnaissance.

I remember last years game in Corvallis. CU had a lot of chances in that game. A couple breakdowns at the end of the first half, and then we turtled in the 2nd half. Wood was the starter and looked completely inept. Sefo with a year under his belt, a more explosive offensive attack, and having the game in Boulder will really help.

I remember last years game in Corvallis. CU had a lot of chances in that game. A couple breakdowns at the end of the first half, and then we turtled in the 2nd half. Wood was the starter and looked completely inept. Sefo with a year under his belt, a more explosive offensive attack, and having the game in Boulder will really help.

Wasn't that the "shell-shocked Woods on the road trying to throw a wet ball" game?

Wasn't that the "shell-shocked Woods on the road trying to throw a wet ball" game?
yup. Despite that, the D kept us in the game until Cooks won it for them with some incredible individual play. Connor never gave us a chance.

You got it. It was a frustrating game to watch. CU had all kinds of chances in that game and couldn't find the will to get it done. I'm expecting a much better performance from Sefo this Saturday.

You got it. It was a frustrating game to watch. CU had all kinds of chances in that game and couldn't find the will to get it done. I'm expecting a much better performance from Sefo this Saturday.

The game were the 1st quarter was awesome and the 2nd quarter was a complete and total disaster that we mentally could not recover from. Really awful game.

Injury Update
Strategy and tactics are a cerebral subject, but injuries are not.
Oregon St. DTs Jalen Grimble and Noke Tago are scheduled for Monday MRIs, but it looks like both will be question marks at best for the Colorado contest. Tago was on crutches Monday morning.

The offensive line that has had trouble blocking 4 man rushes to the point of having to take the Tight Ends out of the offensive pattern in order to help of late isn't going to get help soon either, as Isaac Seumalo has his foot back in a boot again, and even a return after the bye week against Utah now appears to be unlikely.

Both areas will call for some coaching adjustments in the days to come to cope with it.

The inexperience of the wide receiver group was also a big factor in the loss at USC, but the combination of experience gained, and the return of Victor Bolden will help with that. Whether Bolden will be back in Boulder remains to be seen though, as he can't catch balls until the sutures in his hand for the operational repair of his dislocated little finger, and that's scheduled for Thursday. 2 days to heal that up could be a problem, so though Bolden should be back by the time Utah comes to Reser on Oct. 16, he's "doubtful" for the Buffs game.

"I'm not gonna rule him out for this game, but I'm a little doubtful about it," Riley said. "Because he can run, when he is ready, he won't be two weeks without doing anything. Then we'll see from there. He should get nothing but better from there."

There's no doubt the Oregon St. defense will do a better job of slowing down the Colorado offense than California did, but there's also no doubt that against Sefo Liufau, who threw for 455 yards and 7 touchdowns, and Nelson Spruce, who caught 19 balls for 179 yards, last Saturday in Berkeley, the Beaver defense will need the inexperienced OSU receivers to step up in support, with a LOT more offensive production. Especially at elevation in Boulder, the like of which none of the Beaver players have experienced in a game before.

http://www.buildingthedam.com/2014/...ing-problems-and-injury-updates-for-oregon-st

So that makes their most productive WR doubtful, a starter and a key reserve on the DL questionable, and a key member of their OL (especially being the C).

Lots of good info here too.
http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/i...beavers_practice_15.html#incart_story_package

A few safeties did not practice today. If they don't get back that could be bad bad news for the Beavers.

Last edited:
Board I saw is upset about the USC game. Feel they absolutely need this win this Saturday. Kind of split on whether or not they will win.

What board you looking at? I can't find any online presence for them aside from their Scout site which isn't very busy.

Not sure if this is what you are implying but if you are implying we could lose to Colorado without a complete implosion this could be as absurd of the comments at this time last week how wed roll USC. Crappy teams with running qb are not our kryptonite. It's good ones on good teams. Colorado lost to Colorado state and had one good game (a lost mind you) playing a team that lost on a Hail Mary of all things. The fact cal still was able to win points to just how god awful Colorado is. I haven't seen the line but this looks like a game to bet your savings on osu if this is the thinking in setting the line. We will win by 30. All will be right in the world and have two weeks for Utah ... Which will be a deciding game whether were headed for 8 wins or 5.

and

We would have to lay twice the egg we laid at USC to lose.

Colorado is simply talent light. they have a few stars, but they cannot hang. They have struggled and been in boat races with some of the worse defenses (and offenses) in the nation.

and

I think this game sets up well for OSU. Here's why:

1. The front seven of CU is nowhere near anything that USC posesses. They give up a lot of points and hopefully, with a BALANCED offense, they are on their toes the whole game. If Riley makes a pointed statement about establishing the run, Sean will be that much more dangerous. It sets up the playaction, and Sean should be able to find some open guys even without his burners available.

2. I don't think that CU has faced a good defense this year, at least not one as potent as the Beaver defense. The OSU defense was not exposed on Saturday- they are as good as advertised. They just gassed out, which defenses are wont to do when their offense puts up less than 40 yards in a half.
banghead.gif
With the OSU offense racking up yards on a poor CU defense, they should be plenty rested and ready for anything CU has up their sleeve on offense.

3. I think the Beavs come in fired up for this one. There is nothing better to motivate you than getting embarrassed on national TV. Perhaps it lights a little fire on the coaching staff? Maybe the players focus a little more?

4. My final one.... it's Colorado.
wink.gif

and

Buffalo opponents:

1. CSU (105th total D) they lost 31-17
2. Umass (116th total D) they won 41-38
3. ASU (97th total D) they lost 38-24
4. Hawaii (60th total D) they won 20-12
5. Cal (113th total D) the lost 59-56

yep. they have not played a real defense all season, the closest they have played is Hawaii, at home, a team we laid 38 points on before we mailed it in.

Buffalo defense is not great, ranking 83rd themselves in total defense, and 105 in scoring defense. they have faced the number #28, #98, #9, #103 and #13th ranked total offenses this year.

a couple good offenses, a mediocre one and two bad ones...

Beavers will make Colorado their punching bag. I expect to see a game like SDSU, OSU going on long clock eating drives, running the ball (oh, it is almost a funny now isn't it) and working play action.

Unless we poop the bed twice (remember how we responded to UW last year? we nearly took it to Oregon at Oregon...) I think we win convincingly and are back on track with Utah coming to town.

Thanks. I did find that site but for some reason went the Beaver Dam forum thinking that was football. Regardless, I would rather read the netbuffs format. Brutal.

Thanks. I did find that site but for some reason went the Beaver Dam forum thinking that was football. Regardless, I would rather read the netbuffs format. Brutal.

Ya that forum is like the netbuffs format, except it isn't loading properly.

After watching the USC/OSU game replay I had a few takeaways:

• OSU has a good kick returner
  • Not sure if Mannion had a bad night, but he didn’t seem like the same QB we played last year (or maybe it is just USC’s D that caused the difference)
  • On third and +7, OSU had quite a few RB screens, TE drags, and other short throws. Seems they like to go with high percentage passes and allow the YAC to get the first
  • OSU had a pretty good run game, and USC had to have quality LB play to minimize gains
  • The OSU LB’s seemed big, and did a decent job covering the middle, especially on runs. They did seem to wear down as the game went on, and I am sure USC’s line had a lot to do with that
  • USC had to attack the edges at the beginning of the game to be successful running, but I am not sure if we have the same speed to get there
  • OSU didn’t cover the timing routes all that well, but it doesn’t seem that USC runs a whole lot of those

Oregon schools are on the quarter system.

Should disrupt their focus a bit. Changes their practice routine some too. Good timing for us, any little thing to disrupt them helps. Quarter system gives them kind of an advantage early season though. That's weird.

Oregon schools are on the quarter system.
That's a super late start even with quarter system. DU starts late but they've been in school for at least two weeks. Washington is also on the quarter system I think.

This is a pretty typical start for the Oregon schools. They don't finish until mid June. I went to osu for a year and their schedule sucked balls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As reports trickle in, it looks like:

Grimble is out 3-4 weeks (Starter DT)

Bolden is extremely doubtful (Starter WR)

Toga is still on crutches (Back-up DT, may be out for season)

Issac Seumalo is on one of those leg scooters (OL, seems to be there best C, but hasn't played much due to injury)

DJ. Alexander was still out, from what I can tell. (Starting LB)

From their Rivals guy,

[tweet]517021009791434752[/tweet]

Last edited:
Watched the osu vs usc game last night - osu can be beat. usc really does not look that great. osu kept shooting themselves in the foot, stupid penalties, dropped good passes, manion was looking his receivers down. If they play like that again this weekend, The BUFFS should win. I want to say we can run the ball on them? but we have yet to prove it, maybe this is the game where the rb's finally break out a little? especially since we seem to be putting different aspects of the game together quarter by quarter. usc was able to pressure and bat some balls from the DL, our DL and blitz' need to come through.
usc is not the giant killer they once where - they have talent of course not much depth.

Starting safety Ty Zimmerman returned to practice, but was limited, and did not participate in contact drills. Not sure what to make of that one, but could open up a hole in the OSU secondary.

LB DJ Alexander did return but was limited, did not participate in contact drills.

DL Siale Hautau was dressed, but limited.

Back up safety Zack Robinson did not practice.

There may some serious depth issues with the beavers this saturday. Especially considering the trip to altitude.

Last edited:
Should disrupt their focus a bit. Changes their practice routine some too. Good timing for us, any little thing to disrupt them helps. Quarter system gives them kind of an advantage early season though. That's weird.

How do they get students to show up for football games early in the season of they aren't back from summer break?

Back