What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Other Games Thread - Sat, 9/3

Biggest loser may not be the 12pac. Big 12 hasn't looked good except WV, but the caveat is the win came against mizzery. Who knows what the tiggers will do this year.

Kansas won a game, though! I'm kidding. Let's see what Texas does tonight before we say they had a worse week than our league did.

ASU's run game woke up.

I think they're going to be shaky this year. They struggled to throw the ball and stop the pass against a Big Sky team.

Actually, I saw a lot more ****tiness than awesomeness out of the Pac-12 today. Bad for playoff implications I guess, but hopefully good for us.
Any team that has Mora for HC, will disappoint in the end, if not well before...all the talent....wasted.

I think Oregon is going to have a nice little bounce back season too, they were decimated by an incompetent DC with Kent Baer-like qualities, last year.
FIFY! The old DC was demoted about 10 seconds after their season ended. Now they have the Hoke-ster as DC!

Would love to see a thread just on Pac12 football. Yesterday was NOT a good day for conference reputation with WSU losing to little brother's little brother, USC being curb-stomped, Arizona dropping tight game with BYU.... Just read this LA Times article on USC and Helton. I hadn't even heard there were 2 players suspended due to sexual assault, and one even made the trip? What the hell is going on at USC?

"Trojans linebackers Osa Mosina and Don Hill both missed the game because of pending sexual assault allegations. Yet they have been practicing with the team through training camp even though Utah police informed USC’s Department of Public Safety of the allegations on Aug, 2.

Why weren’t both players suspended immediately? Why did one player, Hill, even make the trip to Dallas before being sent home?"

Further details on charges here.

Pac-12 North has 2 great teams in Stanford and Washington.
Pac-12 South has no great teams.

This conference is wide open, especially if you're in the South where a 5-4 conference record with the right tie-breakers could get you into the championship game.

I think Oregon is going to have a nice little bounce back season too, they were decimated by injuries on defense last year.

I watched the Oregon - Cal Davis game yesterday and I had a very different view of Oregon. The game was much more competitive than the 53-29 score indicates. Prokup looked serviceable at QB but a further step down from Vernon Adams last year. Cal Davis was a 2-9 FCS team that hung in for a half, and Oregon's defensive woes did not seem fixed at all.

I watched the Oregon - Cal Davis game yesterday and I had a very different view of Oregon. The game was much more competitive than the 53-29 score indicates. Prokup looked serviceable at QB but a further step down from Vernon Adams last year. Cal Davis was a 2-9 FCS team that hung in for a half, and Oregon's defensive woes did not seem fixed at all.
Oregon is beatable if we come in healthy and angry.

i agree on oregon-- i thought they looked suspect... that was davis that they were playing.

Oregon defense still looks bad. They still have enough top skill players to put up points. A high octane offense can likely take them out.

Not sure we can Rule out Oregon yet.

Oregon has potential. Lots of Pac-12 teams have potential. They have recruited well and there's a lot of talent. But Oregon's got an extremely young OL, serious questions at QB and a defense that is not going to be any better than mediocre. I think they'll be dangerous to any team they play and win most games, but "great" would be pretty surprising to me.

I think everyone is going a little overboard. The Pac-12 was expected to be down and week one seemed to confirm it. Not sure I would write off UCLA just yet. Entire South looks wide open though.

Frankly, a lot of conferences look shaky.

I think everyone is going a little overboard. The Pac-12 was expected to be down and week one seemed to confirm it. Not sure I would write off UCLA just yet. Entire South looks wide open though.

Parity definitely seems to be up, thats for sure.

College football has so many swings in either direction it's just really hard to predict. SC and UCLA went into very tough situations starting on the road against SEC teams. Oregon will likely get much better. But we have real shots, especially against ASU, UA and Utah. Must win those.

It does and CU needs to take advantage of that parity. It could send the program forward quite a bit I'd think.

College football has so many swings in either direction it's just really hard to predict. SC and UCLA went into very tough situations starting on the road against SEC teams. Oregon will likely get much better. But we have real shots, especially against ASU, UA and Utah. Must win those.

And Wazzu and Oregon State at home. Really think last night was not a fluke for Wazzu.

And Wazzu and Oregon State at home. Really think last night was not a fluke for Wazzu.
The defense looks like the same Mike Leach defense we have seen before.

Gabe Marks was allowed to keep going out there on an obviously badly sprained ankle, and Falk just seemed to lose his arm strength as the game went on. There as a lot to not like about the game as a Wazzu fan.

Wazzu dropped their opener to PSu last year IIRC, I would not read too much into that. The Pirate always leaves port slowly.

AZ looked waek on D, they are beatable.

USC got creamed by the best team in the nation, hard to say what that says about them other than they are some where between #2 and #100.

What I think we saw this opening week was that the conferences look top-heavy this year.

SEC is Alabama with maybe Georgia in the East. And we'll see about Ole Miss against FSU.
ACC is Clemson even though they struggled, maybe Miami (looked good vs a cupcake) and we'll see about FSU against Ole Miss.
Big 12 is a hot mess. We'll see about Texas against Notre Dame. Only teams that looked good (OSU & Baylor) played a cupcake.
Big 10 had Ohio State & Michigan looking dominant and Wisconsin beating a very talented LSU. After that, some bad losses and not much impressive.
Pac-12 had Washington looking like they're supposed to and Stanford handling KSU. After that, bad losses and wins by teams we're not sure about.

Right now the season looks like it might be one where each conference is dominated by a couple teams and that we'll have very unbalanced conference championship matchups. But, hell, it was only week 1. We can revisit in a few weeks once teams find their identities and get their QB situations figured out.

Last edited:

Yeah I think aTm had two big questions. 1- Did they get the good Trevor Knight or the bad. 2- Run defense. They're front 7 was loaded with stars, but had sucked against the run. I think year two under Chavis is going to make them really good. They could compete for the west.

Conference and national championships are for others to worry about. The only thing that really matters is our chance to win =>6 games, and that looks a lot more likely today than the day before yesterday.

My hope of hopes is that as the Buffs progress in their season improving as a team they begin to face conference teams who have floundered, clearly have lame duck coaches who have lost the locker room and have nothing to play for, and capitalize by running at them early like they did Friday and playing smart, secure ball in the second half to close them out. Strength of the conference doesn't seem like a realistic concern in a year we can't be expected to leapfrog into the playoff discussion. Just get some damn bowl eligibility and that sweet recruiting class will take note.

I would say a weak overall conference increases the PAC12's chance to represent in the playoff. A few pretty good teams (Standford and Washington) could be undefeated in conference play, which would get them in. Not as many potential slip ups.

I would say a weak overall conference increases the PAC12's chance to represent in the playoff. A few pretty good teams (Standford and Washington) could be undefeated in conference play, which would get them in. Not as many potential slip ups.
I get it, as in a stand of trees. Very clever.

Back