What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac-12 expansion is now inevitable

I don't see any other format that makes a 16-team Pac work because we're not going to an 11-game conference schedule.

If they go to a 14 game season, 11 game conference schedules will be easy. Why do you think the SEC and B1G are pushing for a 14 game season?

If they go to a 14 game season, 11 game conference schedules will be easy. Why do you think the SEC and B1G are pushing for a 14 game season?

They are pushing for a 14-week season that includes 2 bye weeks, not a 14-game schedule.

That's news to me, but even if so, the 14 game regular season is bound to happen eventually.

I agree, but only as the "potential" for 14 games just as we have that for 13 potential non-bowl/playoff games now if a team makes the conference championship game. But I think that additional one will be to add a semi-final round for the conference championship of a 16-team conference.

Thinking in terms of media value.

14 weeks with 2 bye weeks gives a week more programming (still plenty of games to fit within the broadcast windows and then some).

Semi-final rounds would be worth a fortune. Much more than an extra week of regular games would be worth to a network.

I think a 14 game regular season is silly. I am all for watching football, but more football doesn't make it better football. 12 is plenty.

Houston leaks this during the Big XII media days -- convenient timing.

Cal or SoCal? @ buffnik. Re: one guaranteed game.

California. 1 home/ 1 away with two teams from the Cali Pod made up of UCLA, USC, Cal and Stanford. Could be 2 straight years going to the Bay Area followed by 2 straight years going to LA. Or 1 SF / 1 LA by mismatching the schedule travel partners within the pods (i.e., you get Stanford/USC or you get Cal/UCLA for a 2-year stretch instead of UCLA/USC or Cal/Stanford).

a 14 game schedule is horrible for the student-athletes. it would be wrong. 12 is bad enough.

California. 1 home/ 1 away with two teams from the Cali Pod made up of UCLA, USC, Cal and Stanford. Could be 2 straight years going to the Bay Area followed by 2 straight years going to LA. Or 1 SF / 1 LA by mismatching the schedule travel partners within the pods (i.e., you get Stanford/USC or you get Cal/UCLA for a 2-year stretch instead of UCLA/USC or Cal/Stanford).
I think having no game in SoCal every year would be tough on recruiting for CU. It's 10x or so the size in terms of recruiting I'd guess. We've been strong in NorCal thanks to this staffs ties but SoCal is where most of the talent is.

I think having no game in SoCal every year would be tough on recruiting for CU. It's 10x or so the size in terms of recruiting I'd guess. We've been strong in NorCal thanks to this staffs ties but SoCal is where most of the talent is.
Play in SoCal at least once every other year, and in the state of California every year. Should be fine recruiting with that.

Strongly disagree. That would be harder to sell to Mom's. Road trip to Berkeley from the inland empire is undoable for your basic family there. Tempe is much easier.
Good thing in the pod system we would be playing in Tempe every other year as well.

Given quality expansion targets, There just aren't many scenarios that don't look like we are playing in the old Big12 footprint again..... Every ****ing year

I guess, every time I think about this, I can't imagine a scenario where the AZ schools aren't trying to kill expansion with fire.

Any way you slice it, expansion greatly reduces their exposure in CA, which is much more important to them than us, considering history.

I think a 14 game regular season is silly. I am all for watching football, but more football doesn't make it better football. 12 is plenty.
1++++ THIS!
If you want better football games MAKE those damned SEC teams actually play other Power Five teams on a "home and home" basis, instead of allowing them to schedule a bunch of rummy teams, always at home!

a 14 game schedule is horrible for the student-athletes. it would be wrong. 12 is bad enough.
I think it's cute that you think this has anything to do with student athletes.

We have basketball players playing 30+ games per year with a lot more travel and time away from classes. Oh, and it's over two semesters to boot. Nobody is crying over that. Nobody is going to cry about two extra games per year in football, especially when it means an extra couple million for each school.

We have basketball players playing 30+ games per year with a lot more travel and time away from classes. Oh, and it's over two semesters to boot. Nobody is crying over that. Nobody is going to cry about two extra games per year in football, especially when it means an extra couple million for each school.
Football is slightly different than basketball. It's why the NFL will never expand to 18 games, IMO. Then again, the NCAA student athletes don't really have a union or fight the will of the people in power.

Yep. They are talking about maybe moving basketball into a single semester, though. But that has nothing to do with academics and everything to do with increasing revenue by not competing with football season for the non-conference and pushing the "in season" calendar for conference networks from 7 months (Sep-Mar) to 8+ months by having basketball end later.

football is different, indeed. it takes a much different toll on the body. nba players play 82 regular season games. college kids play less than half that.

nfl players play 16 regular season games and our college players are at 12.

so our student athletes in football are playing much closer to a pro schedule in a much more physically demanding and dangerous game.

this is not apples to apples.

plus, the contact damage that a typical college 23 year football player (who has a much more mature physique) can do relative to an 18 year old still developing freshmen in football is nothing at all like what happens in basketball. nothing at all.

I don't dispute any of that, but it's irrelevant.

A 14 game season is going to happen. It's a natural outgrowth of a 16-team conference.

I think the 12 + conference semifinals + conference final/national quarterfinal + national semifinal + national final would be a perfect model for 4 16 team conferences.

For example, a CU schedule could look like:

1 OOC SEC
1 OOC Big16
1 OOC ACC
9 Pac16 (3 Mountain pod, 2 PNW pod, 2 Cali Pod, 2 MidWest pod)

(Game 13) Mountain Pod Winner vs Cali Pod Winner and PNW Pod Winner vs MidWest Pod Winner (at team's location with best record)

(Game 14) Game 1 Winner vs Game 2 Winner for Conference title/National Quarter Final (Conference Title Game location)

(Game 15) Pac16 winner vs Big16 Winner for National Semi Final (Rose Bowl)

(Game 16) National Final (Rotating bowl location)

I think the 12 + conference semifinals + conference final/national quarterfinal + national semifinal + national final would be a perfect model for 4 16 team conferences.

For example, a CU schedule could look like:

1 OOC SEC
1 OOC Big16
1 OOC ACC
9 Pac16 (3 Mountain pod, 2 PNW pod, 2 Cali Pod, 2 MidWest pod)

(Game 13) Mountain Pod Winner vs Cali Pod Winner and PNW Pod Winner vs MidWest Pod Winner (at team's location with best record)

(Game 14) Game 1 Winner vs Game 2 Winner for Conference title/National Quarter Final (Conference Title Game location)

(game 15) Pac16 winner vs Big16 Winner for National Semi Final (Rose Bowl)

(Game 16) National Final (Rotating bowl location)
This would be ideal... Hence the reason it probably won't happen.

football is different, indeed. it takes a much different toll on the body. nba players play 82 regular season games. college kids play less than half that.

nfl players play 16 regular season games and our college players are at 12.

so our student athletes in football are playing much closer to a pro schedule in a much more physically demanding and dangerous game.

this is not apples to apples.

plus, the contact damage that a typical college 23 year football player (who has a much more mature physique) can do relative to an 18 year old still developing freshmen in football is nothing at all like what happens in basketball. nothing at all.

I don't dispute any of that, but it's irrelevant.

A 14 game season is going to happen. It's a natural outgrowth of a 16-team conference.

The Nike sales guy had it right 15 years ago:

“Why,” asked Bryce Jordan, the president emeritus of Penn State, “should a university be an advertising medium for your industry?”

Vaccaro did not blink. “They shouldn’t, sir,” he replied. “You sold your souls, and you’re going to continue selling them. You can be very moral and righteous in asking me that question, sir,” Vaccaro added with irrepressible good cheer, “but there’s not one of you in this room that’s going to turn down any of our money. You’re going to take it. I can only offer it.”

Back