What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac 12 network / direct tv (PACN now on fuboTV streaming)

To me, the issue is simple. Do you like CU more or less than a faceless satellite corporation?

The answer for me is simple. I have Dish. Run Ralphie!!!

That aside, I think we can all agree that DTV offers nothing special in terms of picture quality over any of it's competition, satellite or cable.

Completely agree. I have DTV at home and Comcast at the office, both look great to me. DTV is simply a vehicle to a broader audience. If the conference can make more money without giving away the farm, I think it should be done.

I will caution those that blame the current situation on those of us that didn't switch. It's a losing argument to blame the customer when a product rollout doesn't work. I don't think David Novack was out there blaming customers for not purchasing Crystal Pepsi. If the Buffs were better, more people would have switched; however, if they were better they wouldn't be playing on the Pac-12 Network. Catch-22.

I will caution those that blame the current situation on those of us that didn't switch.

Not blaming. Just stating a fact the consumer creates most the leverage on carriage deals. Had DirecTV stalled with the SEC Network - SEC fan would have dropped them without blinking an eye. Obviously the fan bases are nothing alike, and DirecTV/MSO's know this. As a collective, we only proved the reputation. Not blaming - just reality. Same could be said for most the inventory on the PACN being dog crap Colorado and Washington State games. If SC and Oregon were on half the time, we wouldn't be in this position either. But that's why the conference makes 20.8 million a year from ESPN/Fox, to air those better games.

Actually, I've had far fewer issues with the satellite than I ever had with cable. Some moron runs over the cable with a root-tiller and it takes Comcast two days to figure out where the problem is. The only time I've ever had issues with the satellite is during big rain storms. Snow doesn't seem to be a problem for whatever reason.

That aside, I think we can all agree that DTV offers nothing special in terms of picture quality over any of it's competition, satellite or cable.
Comcast seems to have very different levels of service depending on where you live. I've had very good luck and service with them in Oregon but it took them 6 months to figure out that the squirrels had chewed the cable at my dad's place in NM.

For me, it's not much of a choice. I don't have line of sight for satellite at my house.

Actually, I've had far fewer issues with the satellite than I ever had with cable. Some moron runs over the cable with a root-tiller and it takes Comcast two days to figure out where the problem is. The only time I've ever had issues with the satellite is during big rain storms. Snow doesn't seem to be a problem for whatever reason.

This X 100.

My internet and phone service come through the cable and I have much more outage time with them than I ever have with Dish. Maybe 4-5 times a year I go out and brush my dish with a long handled broom, snow comes off and I am good to go.

Much more often I am on the cellphone calling the cable company getting the message "We know there is an outage in your area, we expect service to be available in no more than 48-72 hours." They usually have it back up in less than 12 but waiting still sucks.

I will agree with that SD and honestly WTFE, this has got to be the deadest horse ever discussed, If they get something done great, as I have said till I am blue in the face the PAC needs the exposure right now more then they need the pennies.
As for my solution, I would have wanted and insisted on by the game PPV via the net as well as subscriptions, In a way he sold out to Dish and the others by not being able to do that. I also think that ATT leaning on the PAC as they are is a very bad sign, but you boy's seem to think Larry has all the answers and has played this perfectly, that everything is just peachy...... We shall see, I just don't see it that way

EC, you can't keep bloviating like this... It's hurting your credibility. Not to mention that straw man about Larry being perfect in our eyes really doesn't help you either.

You boy's seem to believe he has done his job Darth, I think he could have done it better, its really that simple
You've been shifting that target a lot. It's kind of hard to take you at your word now. I thought it was just about DTV at all costs? Now it's about PPV online?

I have said for quite some time that exposure is everything, and that the PAC needs more of it even if they have to give something up on the front end to get back later. Be it bars or online access, hell anything else you can think of. Over a year ago I said you need to treat it like a drug dealer, give it way, hook them, and raise the price. honestly it doesnt matter, I give, you boy's can claim victory if it makes you feel better, Its bad enough having to watch the team in this state who the hell wants to argue about **** like this on top of it.

Well, we're very much going to have to agree to disagree on PPV, but thanks for the answer.

The B1G Network took years to get off the ground and gain traction nationwide. They were the trail blazers and it should have been easier for the PAC Networks. Its been disappointing thus far, but that is a very short view. We'll see how it all shakes out.

As for ATT, will all due respect to Wilner, even he didn't take it as far as you are. We don't know what the hold up is or what is being negotiated. I'll wait to see the actual details when and if it gets done before claiming the PAC got bent over. But I'l absolutely agree with you if the final deal is a substantial equity stake for nothing more than a carriage deal, that would be a problem. Unless its National carriage on their Choice plan or something.

Has anyone ever been to a Comcast store?

Has anyone ever gone to Dish store?

Of course not, because TV providers don't have retail stores...until now.

If you want to talk to somebody about DirecTV live and in person, there is someone you can visit at any one of AT&T's thousands of retail locations that occupy prime retail space in most communities from coast to coast.
I live in a Cox area, and they have stores, so I suspect you're wrong, at least about Comcast. Of course, it's because they're cable providers, but you can also deal with your tv business there.

I'm not sure why anyone thinks that having bricks & mortar stores is some sort of competitive advantage today. In many cases, it just adds a ton of overhead without adding enough to revenue to justify it. Calling that an advantage for ATT seems silly to me. Are we also going to argue that it would be better to be Target than to be Amazon?

I'm not sure why anyone thinks that having bricks & mortar stores is some sort of competitive advantage today. In many cases, it just adds a ton of overhead without adding enough to revenue to justify it. Calling that an advantage for ATT seems silly to me. Are we also going to argue that it would be better to be Target than to be Amazon?

Amazon has a tough time turning revenue into income.
http://ben-evans.com/benedictevans/2014/9/4/why-amazon-has-no-profits-and-why-it-works

Every CEO in the nation envies Jeff Bezos for his ability to run Amazon despite bringing his shareholders such lackluster earnings over such a long period of time.

There is a reason Wal*Mart delivers much more successful financials, and it has to do with having a retail presence in the community and also pairing that with online shopping.

Part of Apple's success formula involves having 'geniouses' to help resolve technology issues.

A big knock on Comcast is that running coax through people's back yard gardens is expensive. Maintaining a huge physical plant that requires technicians and contractors to make truck rolls into people's back yards is an expensive business model.

Both satellite and cable have to bring technicians into the house to hook up TV sets. But installing a Dish is much easier than running thousands of miles of copper and fiber from a residence back to the distribution plant.

The satellite business is more cost effective on the network side, allowing for resources to be dedicated towards customer service.

JD Powers regularly ranks DirecTV's customer service higher than the cable guys. And U-Verse ranks highest in customer satisfaction.

A big part of being recognized for best in class customer service is having multiple touch points for customers. There needs to be an electronic customer interface with web pages, mobile apps, Twitter, Facebook and customer chat rooms. There needs to be traditional call centers to resolve network and billing issues.

And there needs to be a personal avenue for people to come into a store to discover set top boxes, walk through product offerings, and get personal resolution to billing or service outages when other avenues fail.

@Skidmark -- Amazon does not have a tough time turning revenue into profit. Not sure how you got that from the article you reference. Amazon chooses to spend every dime it makes into investment in growing its technology, services, international expansion and infrastructure.

@Skidmark -- Amazon does not have a tough time turning revenue into profit. Not sure how you got that from the article you reference. Amazon chooses to spend every dime it makes into investment in growing its technology, services, international expansion and infrastructure.
And they are killing it on the AWS side. I use prime as much as possible for shopping. It's also the only place rent content.

I think Larry Scott overplayed is little bitty hand ,

Scott has never made DTV a priority, he has been spending his energy on marketing in Asia. Really, it is mostly just CU and WSU football games he has to sell on the P-12 Network. The other 10 teams don't play on the P-12 network very often. Do CU and WSU fans have enough juice to pressure DTV? The other 10 fan bases don't care except the week they play CU or WSU.

Very few fans are going to disrupt their life with DTV because they think that the P-12 schools would get more revenue. That is to indirect of a connection for individuals to risk downgrading from DTV to some other carrier.

SIAP ... but my Dish TV guide lists the UDub game at noon instead of CU. What gives?

SIAP ... but my Dish TV guide lists the UDub game at noon instead of CU. What gives?
That's the game they are showing here on Pac12 AZ. (I'm at my in-laws in Sierra Vista). Bummed that I'll miss the game.

Mine too. I'll watch it on the PAC app. Download the app, use your Dish account number to create an account and pick the Rocky Mountain version of the PAC network and you'll be set, or at least that worked for me last year.

Go Buffs!

Last edited:
Mine too. I'll watch it on the PAC app. Just create an account with your tv provider and you can watch the Rocky mountain version where the Buffs will be.

Thanks ... but I eventually remembered from last year that the alternate Pac 12 channels are in the 590 range on Dish. Our game is listed on channel 592.

EDIT: DBT ... that should work for you too. Have your FIL check his guide.

GO BUFFS!

Last edited:

There's lots of choices Amazon makes or doesn't make. Investing in their people isn't high on the list. Amazon is considered one of the worst places to work in the tech sector.
http://www.quora.com/Is-Amazon-an-unpleasant-place-to-work

Not many companies can provide shareholders with little profits, while fostering an employee culture of churn, while pouring money into capital without seeing returns.

Sure Amazon is extraordinaly popular with consumers. The issue isn't popularity. It's sustainability.

If ATT doesn't come back with a better deal and this doesn't get done, PAC could be looking for a new commissioner soon. This has been a failure from many different angles. Oh well. Doesn't affect me any, but sucks for PAC schools and the exposure.

I think P12 did the right thing walking away. Giving equity to a provider like DTV/ATT would just create more carriage issues with other providers down the road. May be time to look at partnering with an ESPN or Fox to ensure we can get on all the providers, but try to retain flexibility on new media/streaming.

Well, at least with **** ass Cox, I'm able to pull the game up online and feed to the TV.
Go Buffs!

Don't blame them for walking away, sounds like Directv was trying to bend them over. They wanted equity PLUS a rate that would potentially for lower revenues and maybe even discounts or credits back to current providers. No thanks. P12 is better off walking away and exploring a deal with new media or an equity sale to Fox or ESPN prior to the next round of renewals with current providers. Its not like the P12 Network isn't surviving without DirecTV.

Back