What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac 12 network / direct tv (PACN now on fuboTV streaming)

Or maybe the offer was so extraordinarily low that it led to a 12-0 vote against.

All partnering with ATT/DTV does for you is insure that you will only be distributed on ATT/DTV.

We don't really know the details of what exactly was offered and why the presidents voted 0-12 against. It could have been extraordinarily low, or it may have been almost there not withstanding philosophical differences on governance.

We don't really know the details of what exactly was offered and why the presidents voted 0-12 against. It could have been extraordinarily low, or it may have been almost there not withstanding philosophical differences on governance.
I thought one of the things the presidents balked at was that ATT/DirecTV wanted to be the exclusive provider of cable/sat services to the entire campus of every single school - something that is legally impossible for the public schools to actually do (government competitive bidding processes).

I am officially done with the Pac12 channel(s) - could care less now...If it was released through the airs, and could be picked up on rabbit ears, could care less.
They have had a terrible business plan/model from the beginning and are smug assholes. The product they are carrying, just not worth it.
I will go to Buff games in person or watch when provided on any platform vs Pac12 network, screw them.

I am officially done with the Pac12 channel(s) - could care less now...If it was released through the airs, and could be picked up on rabbit ears, could care less.
They have had a terrible business plan/model from the beginning and are smug assholes. The product they are carrying, just not worth it.
I will go to Buff games in person or watch when provided on any platform vs Pac12 network, screw them.

I'm not there yet, but I'm not that far away either. I don't know how people can still argue 100% ownership of crap is better than 50% of a quality product/revenue stream.

Pac-12 Network is exhibit a why conferences shouldn't run and distribute their own network.

I would rather earn one percent of 100 people's efforts than one-hundred percent of my own efforts - JD Rockefeller

Jon Wilner's recent blog puts out some eye raising numbers that are focused on the linear model.
No mention of the OTT model.
Speculates U-verse will carry P12 for next few years and continue to provide $8 million or so per year to the conference. But the next time AT&T comes to negotiate, there isn't any reason to believe they'll come back with a better offer than what exists now, and there won't be growth in UVerse.

I thought one of the things the presidents balked at was that ATT/DirecTV wanted to be the exclusive provider of cable/sat services to the entire campus of every single school - something that is legally impossible for the public schools to actually do (government competitive bidding processes).

I think you are right.

Here's the John Wilner blog the collapse of the P12N-AT&T negotiations from last September.

The article points to "sources" that highlight rates, MFN provisions, and expanded presence on campus.

Clearly not a one dimensional negotiation.

Amazon or AppleTV still have to negotiate content deals and sign contracts with the likes of the NFL or Disney or Universal for the rights to distribute their intellectual property.

Content negotiators are going to sell their property to the highest bidder. For Apple and Amazon to undercut the establishment, they are going to have to subsidize content purchases by dipping into the profitability of other parts of their business.

This isn't a technology issue as much as a human issue where Hollywood and American media creators refuse to sell movies and TV programming for less than its worth.

They all certainly saw and remember what happened to the Music industry after apple and piracy got thru with them. Now doubt about that.

Meantime the lessor content owners or the movie or series owners are already selling PPV content to Apple TV, Netflix, Hulu, etc. for what appears to be a deep discount to the consumer when compared to a $125 cable bill. And people who don't care about sports at all are going that way instead of the bundle because it's cheaper That's bad news for ESPN Disney and their overhead because alternatives have already been established to their predicated model.

The fact is that ESPN, for example, collects $10 a month (all Disney channels) per household and they use that money in part to support billions of dollars in long term sports TV contracts. Unfortunately people are pulling the plug leaving them (and Fox) caught between a big bill that's due and declining revenue streams and ratings (ad dollars). Middle men like DTV can't cut prices so to save accounts they are offering these skinny packages that exclude ESPN Disney. ESPN was the big player in the contracts.

The next time those contracts come up will ESPN pay as generously? I think that ship has sailed and that's bad news for the Pac12 Network as well. Unfortunately the P12N has no value to anyone outside of fans and alums. If they merged with the B1G network then you might have something that moves the needle. They were just too late to the party and are now probably trapped in the deals they already have in place until they expire.

Last edited:
All blame should fall on larry scott. Not a very good business negotiator / big ego...

The UCLA-USC P12 tourney game looks great in standard def. Whoever came up with this moronic plan to make P12 programming less available than it already is needs to be ****canned. Can't overstate how ****ing stupid this is.

The UCLA-USC P12 tourney game looks great in standard def. Whoever came up with this moronic plan to make P12 programming less available than it already is needs to be ****canned. Can't overstate how ****ing stupid this is.
At least you get to watch it. I've got the CU Utah replay. How ****ing dumb are they?

All blame should fall on larry scott. Not a very good business negotiator / big ego...

Yup. It had nothing to do with the Presidents voting against that 2nd DTV deal 12-0.

You might also recall that in the 1st DTV deal that the offer was so low to have accepted it would have required lowering the existing deals with Dish, Comcast, and the other partners that had already signed up.

Last edited:
Oh boy. It's one thing to mess with someone's basketball and other fringe sports, but messing with football games might just be the catalyst needed to bring on real change.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegesports/2016/03/09/pac-12-basketball-3/

"9:15 a.m. update: I should add one thing: The regional programming on the Pac-12 Networks will include football starting in the fall. You will need access to the National feed to watch teams outside your home region when their games are on the Pac12Nets. For transplants in Southern California in particular, that could be a gigantic fail for the conference if situation with Cox isn’t resolved …

It shouldn’t be so complicated, but because of the Pac-12 Networks, it is.

Despite the existence of a wholly-owned TV network that has seven feeds, not all fans will be able to watch every game.

In fact, some fans won’t have access to most games."

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/are-pac-12-fans-faced-with-the-worst-carrier-dispute-in-sports.html

The Pac website is a joke and the new regional restrictions make it even worse. The mobile platform is even worse than the desktop. Their menus for upcoming games is horrible. Larry Scott needs to be fired yesterday. He has completely botched the network negotiations with the carriers and managed to double down on stupid ideas with this dumb restriction of regions. Every channel should be streaming the tourney. Who the **** cares about the all century team while the tourney is on? That **** should be played at 2am.

yup down here in FL comcrap has the pac 12 buried in the 700's somewhere in standard def only! picture damm near unwatchable....meanwhile big 10 sec etc all in hd....thanks larry you idiot.....on top of almost 95% of the sports bars dont carry it down here

yup down here in FL comcrap has the pac 12 buried in the 700's somewhere in standard def only! picture damm near unwatchable....meanwhile big 10 sec etc all in hd....thanks larry you idiot.....on top of almost 95% of the sports bars dont carry it down here
yep - most sports bars have DTV satellite easier then running cables.

I thought PAC schools were supposed to be "progressive". I see nothing progressive in the PAC networks. They need to be out in front of the other networks and work much harder on their streaming product. Cable/Satellite is dying. There will be no growth in viewers from that product (only short-term bump if they get AT&T to play ball). I realize any real move on the streaming side violates current agreements with cable, etc., but it's time to get creative or bold.

Ouch

Pac-12 fans from the Pacific Northwest to the Rocky Mountains are hopping mad. March Madness is heating up but you wouldn't know it if you live in Pac-12 country.

Among the power conferences (and we're counting the Power 5 in football plus the Big East and American Athletic), the Pac-12's tournament games will be the least visible -- no matter where you live. Of the 11 conference games, eight are carried on the Pac-12 Network, including one of the semifinals, and the rest are on FS1.

If you don't live in the six states where Pac-12 schools are located, there is little chance that you'll see much of the conference tournament, which begins Wednesday. That probably includes the NCAA selection committee, which will be holed up in an Indianapolis hotel room this weekend.

But this gets better ... er, worse. Even if you're a Pac-12 fan with access to the Pac-12 Network, you're still not going to get all the Pac-12 tournament games this week. Now in its fourth season of existence, the network has heavily regionalized its content. That means if you live in the Pacific Northwest, you will end up with some taped rerun of Washington-Washington State or Oregon-Oregon State instead of live USC-UCLA on Wednesday.

larry scott is starting to come across as the, I got mine (mine = $), **** the rest of you kinda guy. pac12 "network" is a freakn joke.

larry scott is starting to come across as the, I got mine (mine = $), **** the rest of you kinda guy. pac12 "network" is a freakn joke.

I dont think that was his intention. The deals he did for Womens tennis greatly raised revenue for them. He nearly pulled of a merger of Mens and Womens tennis (sound familiar?). He's shown that he could accomplish things. But I also think that was in the period where TV was giving money away in bidding wars to get content. The things I think that hurt his ability to make similar deals was 1. a lack of leverage after losing OU and UT that would have delivered big TV markets and 2. the flattening and now slow decline of bundled tv subscribers and obviously 3. the lack of a partnership with ESPN, Fox, CBS, et. al (though one of those could come along).

Thats not to say he doesn't have a problem. Boosters calling their foundation representatives and Presidents and Chancellors that they may have on speed dial to complain that they can't see this game or that is going to trickle up. The nature of college athletics has an interface thats closer to the top then most people think. I get it that they are trying to force people to subscribe to both the regional and the national channel to earn a few more bucks. But in the end they might end up losing subscribers instead.

Last edited:
The big mistake he made was giving cable/satellite exclusivity, instead of providing a stand alone streaming option right from the start. The number of cord cutters is only going to go up, and not being to offer a streaming option for them gives the cable oligopoly way more leverage than they deserve.

Not happy with what the PAC did with the regionals but unless you have to have the direct ticket why would you take Direct over Dish. Dish has better equipment, HD channels, and is cheaper. No way I'd go Comcast but I haven't been impressed with DTV either compared to Dish.

Response from Pac-12 network. Dude on the phone also explained the current ire towards the lack of basketball games covered live was not their fault, it was the carrier's fault for not carrying both the regional and national channels. Also said Pac-12 can't control what is carried in HD and what is not. Again blamed the carrier for not showing games in HD. I also found similar responses posted from other subscribers. I have Comcast business at work, and I can't stream Pac-12 Now, so I got that going for me... which is nice.

Now in our fourth year with a production schedule of 850 live events and a more robust library of content, we are positioned to differentiate each of our seven networks as we have planned all along. We created seven networks, one national and six regionals, in order to super-serve Pac-12 fans by delivering unprecedented exposure and access to all Pac-12 teams.

If you would like to watch the all of the Men's Basketball games live, you can watch through our Pac-12 Now TV Everywhere service on your computer or mobile device as long as your TV provider supports the service. You can see if your provider allows access by selecting "Pac-12 Networks Live" under the Watch tab on the website and clicking on one of the "Right Now" screens. Keep in mind, to gain remote access to Pac-12 Networks you will need to log in with the username and password you have established with your TV Provider.

If your provider is not on the list we urge you to contact them and let them know you want access to Pac-12 Now.

Regards,

Pat
Pac-12 Networks Support
pac-12.com/support

Nah. We said pretty please, providers please carry our network. Our fans care. Really they do. The single biggest mistake Scott and the PAC made was not partnering with ESPN or Fox from jump. Relying on the PAC fanbase to force carriage was an epic case of poor judgment and understanding.
That pretty much sums it up.

The hate I am seeing for Larry right now doesn't compute. The dude played what he thought was a strong hand - he probably didn't realize the apathy across the Pac 12 fan base and I'm not sure the writing was on the wall on how fast the current cable model was going to erode.

We still have a real asset in play. We are at a disadvantage at the moment, but I would bet things change in the next 2-3 years - and yes, it may take that long.

Back