What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac 12 network / direct tv (PACN now on fuboTV streaming)

I think it would just be one national and then an overflow channel for when games go on at the same time.

What can I say about Fox. Hmmmm. They'd squeeze us in the B1G stuff on their two channels.

I think we need to make a deal with CBS or NBC. Someone that has less competition for our time.

To me this is a simple choice, Larry nuts-up tells his current partners I am offering on line access to anyone that wants to pay the money. I mean after all their plan seems to be that we the fans have enough swag to force change for them which has failed in epic fashion. He has bet this things very existence on the fans, time to back it up or get the F*** out of the way. Or sell the equity share to the highest bidder and again get the F*** out of the way.
Larry confused his big tennis balls for big balls. When in reality driving the pro tennis car is equal to driving a Buick Regal and the full scale PAC 12 college sports train should be a Ferrari. Instead he has rendered the thing a GD 71 Ford POS Pinto

Playing this long game underestimates fan adaptability. I made calls for a year to DTV and on the last call killed it. For years now I have been setting up the sound system in the yard, streaming tune in radio, grilling, and we all do yard work (which we like to do). My wife and I would love to watch, but we completely enjoy our outside game day ritual.

Breaking the ESPN addiction came quickly as well. I will occasionally put it on when I'm on the road, but then I flip it off after five minutes. It's trash.

Every season that the PAC does not find a way to get the games to fans, fans realize that not seeing the games isn't the end of the world and adapt. Their lack of urgency certainly opened my eyes as to what I can live without.

**** 'em.

Just need to go to an online subscriber model for those that want it. Give me access to all the channels I want, where ever I am, and charge $100 a year for it. I would pick it up in a heartbeat.

The Pac-12 has been very slow with its online streaming services. For example, the ACC has an app on the XBox One to allow online streaming through the console. Why doesn't Pac-12 have this? Don't they have their headquarters in/near the internet capital of the country?

Just need to go to an online subscriber model for those that want it. Give me access to all the channels I want, where ever I am, and charge $100 a year for it. I would pick it up in a heartbeat.

The Pac-12 has been very slow with its online streaming services. For example, the ACC has an app on the XBox One to allow online streaming through the console. Why doesn't Pac-12 have this? Don't they have their headquarters in/near the internet capital of the country?
This. Just make it available to as many people as possible. A little forward thinking would be nice.

This. Just make it available to as many people as possible. A little forward thinking would be nice.

It is already available online, as far as I can tell, it wouldn't cost them anything to allow for an online subscription. All it would do is make money.

It is already available online, as far as I can tell, it wouldn't cost them anything to allow for an online subscription. All it would do is make money.
But isn't the PAC network not allowed to do that by contract with the cable companies? If true, it's going to take some renegotiation.

But isn't the PAC network not allowed to do that by contract with the cable companies? If true, it's going to take some renegotiation.

Then allow me to purchase the subscription through my cable company. I don't care where it comes from, I just want all 7 channels accessible on any device.

I really don't know what to say other than **** DirecTV. They suck and they continually low ball the **** out of the Pac-12 in terms of a network deal and an ownership deal. Could Larry Scott do a better job? No question but that doesn't absolve DTV for the **** they are getting away with. Scott gave the Pac-12 presidents a deal last fall and even they couldn't agree to it.

Then allow me to purchase the subscription through my cable company. I don't care where it comes from, I just want all 7 channels accessible on any device.

I agree. Whatever it takes. Just make it available to all. Not just for my sake or your sake, but general conference exposure is a big problem too.

Cox basically told me that they only subscribe to LA and Arizona so the PAC-12 shut off access to the other regionals, so even though I get National on TV, I can only stream the LA and Arizona feeds. Will be pissed if any CU games are on Mountain and not on National. Maybe putting pressure on the conference and carriers is the wrong method. Put pressure on the University and the AD. The Presidents are Larry's boss. If they hear from their donors how unhappy they are, something will change.

I really don't know what to say other than **** DirecTV. They suck and they continually low ball the **** out of the Pac-12 in terms of a network deal and an ownership deal. Could Larry Scott do a better job? No question but that doesn't absolve DTV for the **** they are getting away with. Scott gave the Pac-12 presidents a deal last fall and even they couldn't agree to it.

I get the frustration but not at DTV, they flat dont think the product is worth the price. They have the the elephant (NFL) and they dont need it, which is why Dish pissed their pants to get something DTV didn't have. You walk in a car dealer there is a $70k fully loaded King Ranch 4X4 F-250, Buyer A say's "Hell yeah gimme some" Buyer B says "That is F***** insane for a P/U Truck"
The supply and demand says Larry is selling a 3yr old 100K miles on it used truck and asking for that new truck price for it. There is NO DEMAND for this thing except from us the PAC fans, and to be honest only a fraction of us are screaming about it. So why is DTV to blame for this ? Their CEO has done exactly what he was hired to do. Do whats best for DTV

Sounds like the ADs are starting to realize there needs to be a change. Making multiple millions less than competing universities will only put the Pac further behind.

http://www.cougcenter.com/2016/3/15...-runs-13-million-deficit-moos-open-to-selling

And for those that say it's the fault of the Pac-12 fan, and that the SEC fans would have forced DTV/Cable to carry all the Pac-12 regional channels, I would simply say that the Big10 and SEC networks were never foolish enough to go this route.

I get the frustration but not at DTV, they flat dont think the product is worth the price. They have the the elephant (NFL) and they dont need it, which is why Dish pissed their pants to get something DTV didn't have. You walk in a car dealer there is a $70k fully loaded King Ranch 4X4 F-250, Buyer A say's "Hell yeah gimme some" Buyer B says "That is F***** insane for a P/U Truck"
The supply and demand says Larry is selling a 3yr old 100K miles on it used truck and asking for that new truck price for it. There is NO DEMAND for this thing except from us the PAC fans, and to be honest only a fraction of us are screaming about it. So why is DTV to blame for this ? Their CEO has done exactly what he was hired to do. Do whats best for DTV
The frustrating thing is that the Pac-12 gets relegated to late night games (lower numbers and demand because it is missing out on half the country sometimes) and I completely understand why ESPN, Fox, Etc. want those late night games so they have programming on all day and night but then in negotiations like this they get screwed by DTV because the "demand" isn't there. The only mistake I can see from Scott is he didn't have a partner to deal with this because you know ESPN/Fox value these late night games despite their lower numbers.

Also, the other issue I have is that they used to be all about sports programming and that is really how they developed their customer base but then they say no to the Pac-12 because they can screw them over based on their NFL loyalty? That is annoying.

The frustrating thing is that the Pac-12 gets relegated to late night games (lower numbers and demand because it is missing out on half the country sometimes) and I completely understand why ESPN, Fox, Etc. want those late night games so they have programming on all day and night but then in negotiations like this they get screwed by DTV because the "demand" isn't there. The only mistake I can see from Scott is he didn't have a partner to deal with this because you know ESPN/Fox value these late night games despite their lower numbers.

Also, the other issue I have is that they used to be all about sports programming and that is really how they developed their customer base but then they say no to the Pac-12 because they can screw them over based on their NFL loyalty? That is annoying.
Our opinions are pretty damn close I just cant blame a private company for doing what is best for them. I do, have, and will continue to blame Larry Scott, I think this thread started 3 years ago and I was all but tarred and feathered for my stance on Scott. Well here we are and not only are we behind, Larry is standing in a deep hole with a shovel digging it deeper.

Maybe putting pressure on the conference and carriers is the wrong method. Put pressure on the University and the AD. The Presidents are Larry's boss. If they hear from their donors how unhappy they are, something will change.

Clearly you've hit the nail on the head, that the pressure on the conference and carriers is an epic fail. Larry Scott and his network are happy as pigs in mud as long as they collect their fat paychecks; they clearly do not need to deliver. Until guys like Rick George can convince their bosses that the Pac-12 Network has little value and is diminishing in value with each passing day then here we will sit. Until Benson and his brethren show that they care and force Scott to get off his ass or move his ass out, nothing is going to change.

All the arguing about if it is the Pac-12 Network's fault or DirecTV's fault or the Pac-12 fan's fault is a complete red herring. It is the fault of the Pac-12 University President's until they force this to be fixed.

To me this is a simple choice, Larry nuts-up tells his current partners I am offering on line access to anyone that wants to pay the money.

Then said partners file a lawsuit in federal court for breach of contract and get an injunction halting those plans. The contract likely says the content flows thru them in exchange for a check back to the conference. Or, as a violation of the terms of the contract, the channel is removed from the line up.

We have to wait for these contracts to expire. Given the changes they made to the regionals I am now opting not to pick up Dish either.

I get the frustration but not at DTV, they flat dont think the product is worth the price. They have the the elephant (NFL) and they dont need it, which is why Dish pissed their pants to get something DTV didn't have.

DTV didnt want the other regional channels either because they all generally only reach a niche audience. But because they are 51% owned by a large network they get bundled with ESPN or bundled with Fox. Not having that was our biggest mistake but its too late now.

All those conferences really have the same overall TV deals that we have where the best games go first to broadcast or ESPN, then FOX or some other regional getting 2nd pick, leaving the less desirable games broadcast on the conference channel. At least we get to see these games now.

Can you sign into that without service provider (Comcast, DTV, Dish, etc.) login?

I would be very happy with an online streaming service. I just want to be able to watch the Buffs. Living in Iowa, even purchasing the multi-sports package from Dish, I can't always watch the Buffs in real time and that isn't right.

Larry the 'visionary' was obviously caught off-guard by the DTV stalemate and had no clause with the current partners to offer an OTT service. He needs to figure out a way to get that done.

He's going to have to bite the bullet, get the best deal he can with DirecTV and then renegotiate his deals with the other providers. At least that's my simplistic, know nothing view of it. We may not make the big bucks we were hoping for, but we need exposure and not being on DirecTV is really hurting.

It's frustrating. I did my part. I bitched and moaned and demanded that DTV carry the PAC 12 Network. I threatened to leave. They didn't budge. I threatened some more. Still nothing. Finally I left. I did what Larry asked me to do. And in return, I get... What?

My biggest hope with the PAC 12 Network was coverage of Olympic sports like skiing. We get nothing. CU and Utah are two of the true blue blood skiing programs in the country. We can't even get the P12 Network to televise the national championships. Pathetic.

The P12N was at it's full strength when they could afford Rick Neuhisel and Bill Walton during the 2014-2015 year. An original program like The Drive added to the network's value.

The 2015-2016 is seeing less appealing on-screen talent. Mike Yam and Yogi Roth and what's his face, that boring former HC from somewhere are the biggest names.
If P12N isn't broadcasting a live CU game, chances are I'm not watching. Live CU games make up about 95% of my P12N viewing habits. The other 5% involves catching women's gymnastics or baseball or someother sport that CU doesn't offer.

The initial quality of the P12N has definitely slumped, as would be expected by their difficulty growing revenue.

He's going to have to bite the bullet, get the best deal he can with DirecTV and then renegotiate his deals with the other providers. At least that's my simplistic, know nothing view of it. We may not make the big bucks we were hoping for, but we need exposure and not being on DirecTV is really hurting.
He seems like the kinda guy that will not "bite the bullet", his ego will not let him.

If the Pac-12 Network fails or continues on its current trajectory, Larry is out of a job, right?

I think its a strike against him but not a job killer. Remember the Presidents rejected the last last DTV offer unanimously. I think the P12Network, while only returning $1.4m per school, is secondary to TV contracts and other revenue streams.
  • SBNation May 4, 2011
    The new Pac-12 TV deals are a wrap and this is a big one for everyone. At $3 billion over 12 years, the Pac-12 will rake in roughly $250 million per year in the largest TV deal for any conference in the country. That means each of the 12 member schools will pocket about $21 million annually when this deal begins in 2012-2013, a far cry from the current TV deal that nets the conference less than $60 million annually. In all, the conference takes a major step forward with this TV deal in what is a major victory for the conference and commissioner Larry Scott in particular.

"I think it's fair to say 18 months ago, never in our wildest dreams would we have envisioned being in the position that we're in today," Arizona State athletic director Lisa Love said.

Why might that be? Well, 18 months ago all the Pac-10 knew was Tom Hansen and his incompetent leadership. Now, they have Scott in charge who some would argue has to be considered a good hire as commissioner on this deal alone.

Added two schools. Negotiated the largest TV contract in conference history as well as in the nation at that time. I'd think if he was failing at all those he'd be in more trouble. My guess is the answer to this lies in between each schools AD and President. I am sure they are not happy with the lack of coverage. But I doubt they are crying about the money. I believe the above is before P12N revenue too.

The SECs newer deal surpasses our deal as does the B1Gs. But were still the 3rd wealthiest conference 5 years on ahead of Texas 10 and the ACC.

Since Scott has a pretty good reputation for this kind of stuff outside of mixed results with only the P12N part of the TV deal he could move on to another opportunity on his own before 2024 comes along

Last edited:
The only thing going for the P12 network right now is that it is the *only* collection of power conference football games that can go on the market anytime before 2024. If anyone wants to bring more football games "under their umbrella," there's only one conference that has anything they can sell.

This may yet work out for Scott, sometimes it's good to be the only seller. OTOH, it's also dangerously close to blowing up in his face: he may end up trying to sell after the market has peaked - not a good position to be in...

Back