What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac 12 network / direct tv (PACN now on fuboTV streaming)

Ouch! but topical:

Denver TV market = 17th in the nation
Hartford, CT (UCONN) = 30th
Salt Lake City (BYU) = 34th
Cincinnati = 36th

But yes, let's continue to talk about adding UCONN and Cincy because those media markets are amazing (BYU's media market is obviously a little bit of a different animal)! Do people really give a **** about UCONN and Cincy football more than CSU? If so, can't be by much.

Denver TV market = 17th in the nation
Hartford, CT (UCONN) = 30th
Salt Lake City (BYU) = 34th
Cincinnati = 36th

But yes, let's continue to talk about adding UCONN and Cincy because those media markets are amazing (BYU's media market is obviously a little bit of a different animal)! Do people really give a **** about UCONN and Cincy football more than CSU? If so, can't be by much.
Well college football is huge in Ohio so yes I would say that. Cincinnati and Ohio state have never really competed against one another so there isn't really a divide there. Uconn football fans might not be big but uconn has a huge fan base and brand. The issue is college football isn't as big in the northeast. Byu has a huge following like you said, doesn't really matter about SLC market size.

Well college football is huge in Ohio so yes I would say that. Cincinnati and Ohio state have never really competed against one another so there isn't really a divide there. Uconn football fans might not be big but uconn has a huge fan base and brand. The issue is college football isn't as big in the northeast. Byu has a huge following like you said, doesn't really matter about SLC market size.
I'm not trying to prop up CSU; more just defending the addition of the Denver market to a conference network is, in fact, a good idea.

I'm not trying to prop up CSU; more just defending the addition of the Denver market to a conference network is, in fact, a good idea.
When I was in school I remember seeing an article stating that Denver is the most saturated sports market in the nation so there is an argument that is actually isn't as good of an idea as it appears.

Meaning what?
Based on population (which is increasing so it is probably getting better) you have every major professional sport including an MLS soccer team, and essentially 3 colleges fighting for viewers. There is a ton of content. Seattle couldn't even support a basketball team with a slightly higher population. The bay area has almost double the amount of tv sets but only 1 extra NFL team, an extra MLB team and some of the worst support in the conference for Stanford and Cal. Phoenix supports the same number of teams with a ton more people.

Denver is growing at a 100,000 a year clip. For the mathematically impaired, that's another million in the next decade. Looking ahead, the Denver market will only continue to rise. You cannot view these things on a short term timeline.

Denver is growing at a 100,000 a year clip. For the mathematically impaired, that's another million in the next decade. Looking ahead, the Denver market will only continue to rise. You cannot view these things on a short term timeline.
Denver is not the only market growing.

Based on population (which is increasing so it is probably getting better) you have every major professional sport including an MLS soccer team, and essentially 3 colleges fighting for viewers. There is a ton of content. Seattle couldn't even support a basketball team with a slightly higher population. The bay area has almost double the amount of tv sets but only 1 extra NFL team, an extra MLB team and some of the worst support in the conference for Stanford and Cal. Phoenix supports the same number of teams with a ton more people.
Gotcha, so more teams per capita basically. With Denver's population being one of the fastest growing in the country, though, I suspect this will get better as you mentioned. The other interesting aspect, that can't quite be fully quantified in this context, is the transplant hotbed that Denver has become. There may be a presence from all 4 major pro sports, MLS, and 3 D1 (plus Wyoming) colleges, but the amount of people with loyalty to any of those 8-9 teams (Broncos being an outlier), is getting smaller and smaller as more out of staters come here.

Denver is not the only market growing.
My impression is that Denver is growing as fast or faster than any market. And some of it is a gut feeling, but it seems to me that Denver is really appealing to business and industry.

Quick research. Fastest growing cities:
1. Austin
2. San Francisco
3. Dallas
4. Seattle
5. Salt Lake City
6. Ogden
7. Orlando
8. San Jose
9. Raleigh
10. Cape Coral, FL
11. Denver
12. San Diego
13. Oakland
14. Charlotte
15. Phoenix
16. Portland
17. Boise City
18. Vegas
19. North Port, FL
20. Fort Lauderdale

5 of the top 11 are in the Pac.

Last edited:
My impression is that Denver is growing as fast or faster than any market. And some of it is a gut feeling, but it seems to me that Denver is really appealing to business and industry.
I thought Denver was top 10 but not the fastest. I thought Dallas and San Jose were the two fastest growing cities in the U.S..

Denver is really appealing to businesses the last couple years because rental prices were so low for companies and for employees (Schwab is an example of this moving from San Fran) but as those prices keep going up as they have been recently, it becomes less and less desirable. Denver was also a fairly small city compared to the amount of room it had to grow so the initial takeoff was very quick but it should slow down at some point.

I believe your numbers are off. Colorado is 100k per year, Denver is ~20k of that.

Gotcha, so more teams per capita basically. With Denver's population being one of the fastest growing in the country, though, I suspect this will get better as you mentioned. The other interesting aspect, that can't quite be fully quantified in this context, is the transplant hotbed that Denver has become. There may be a presence from all 4 major pro sports, MLS, and 3 D1 (plus Wyoming) colleges, but the amount of people with loyalty to any of those 8-9 teams (Broncos being an outlier), is getting smaller and smaller as more out of staters come here.
Yeah it's a tough non-broncos sports market. This is why markets like Hartford and Memphis are attractive because they can be taken over by the local college sports program, especially when picked up by a big name conference.

I thought Denver was top 10 but not the fastest. I thought Dallas and San Jose were the two fastest growing cities in the U.S..

Denver is really appealing to businesses the last couple years because rental prices were so low for companies and for employees (Schwab is an example of this moving from San Fran) but as those prices keep going up as they have been recently, it becomes less and less desirable. Denver was also a fairly small city compared to the amount of room it had to grow so the initial takeoff was very quick but it should slow down at some point.
San Fran and San Jose are in the top 10 fastest growing. I don't get it. REALLY expensive to live in those places.

San Fran and San Jose are in the top 10 fastest growing. I don't get it. REALLY expensive to live in those places.

Denver is no where near as expensive as San Francisco or San Jose, but I wouldn't necessarily call Denver/Boulder cheap.

I don't see expansion making fiscal sense unless the incoming schools represent larger TV markets than the average existing markets. P12 is fading behind SEC and BIG for media $. That being said, UT, Houston, OU (whole state of OK) and SDSU would be good media market targets.

The ultimate expansion would be to add and consolidate existing media relationships. UT and Notre Dame would be the top targets. Before you say ND could never happen (I agree); BIG is expanding to 9 conference games -only Michigan State stays on their regular (historically annual) schedule - Michigan and Purdue drop off. ACC schedule is at least five games. Two annual ND games are P12 opponents (USC, Stanford). ND could still keep MiSt, Army , navy on schedule.

UT and ND bring their existing revenues. P12 gains ESPN and NBC contracting. ND only received $5M from ACC last year, P12 stake would crush that. UT gets stability (until they kill it) and maybe an initial equity buyout of LH Network assets.

If ND joins a conference as a full member before 2027 they're contractually bound to join the ACC.

If ND joins a conference as a full member before 2027 they're contractually bound to join the ACC.

Yep. And all the conferences are equal shareholders on media right now with the exception of the ACC and Big 12. If the membership forces a conference network with equal distribution, I think there's a good chance that Texas and Notre Dame bolt to the ACC to make it 16 teams. It would be kind of a "best of both worlds" situation for them.

By happenstance (guy knocking on the door) I just dumped DTV for Dish. I'll get the Pac but, mainly, reduce my bill by about $100 a month and upgrade my internet speed. Did I make a mistake?

By happenstance (guy knocking on the door) I just dumped DTV for Dish. I'll get the Pac but, mainly, reduce my bill by about $100 a month and upgrade my internet speed. Did I make a mistake?
Yeah, I'm with you. I think I will be switching from cox (Internet/phone) & DTV to Verizon VIOS for all and save about the same. Between your move and my upcoming move we have all but guaranteed a DTV-PAC12 deal in the near future.

When do I get to start a PAC-12 Network / FIOS thread? :mad:

I have Dish for TV but went with Comcast for Internet. I like to think I have the best of both worlds

Yeah, I'm with you. I think I will be switching from cox (Internet/phone) & DTV to Verizon VIOS for all and save about the same. Between your move and my upcoming move we have all but guaranteed a DTV-PAC12 deal in the near future.

When do I get to start a PAC-12 Network / FIOS thread? :mad:

I dont see how P12N breaks thru. P12N wants to be as close to base package as possible so millions of homes blindly pay them a ~$1 a month. DirecTV wants them in a tier where its a pure add on so they dont have to raise prices to residential customers. So, shy of them selling the P12N to Fox or ESPN so it can be bundled in a group of channels, I dont think its going to happen. Unless they give it away for song just to get eyeballs.

So, they installed the Dish but 2 TV's won't connect to "The Hopper." I just spent three frustrating hours on the phone, first, trying to fix it and then on the phone to China, or some such place, trying to schedule another tech to come out. But in order to schedule that, they had to cancel my internet upgrade which I'll have to figure out how to reschedule. Not real happy right now. But these things always seem to have glitches.

Yeah, the tech had a hard time figuring out the blue, yellow, red and white cable thing. He said he'd heard about them from his elders but had never seen them.
Did you tell him how back in your day there was only one wire, and it was a string from one empty can to another?

With the news that Dish has dropped the NFL network, and the Redzone Channel (which they championed big in advertising) are any of you buying into some of the talk radio rumors that Dish is looking to get out of the sports programming business completely except the standard ESPN ? That they are positioning themselves as the "cut rate" provider, and literally are in the process of cut rating their programming to Hausfrau status ? If this is anywhere close to true Larry has an even bigger problem then the big ass coverage problem he already has. Thoughts ? anyone else hearing anything ?

Back