What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

PAC 12 Rivals

Utah Mountains are steeper, get more snow, and have better terrain. Colorado mountains have more vert, are higher up, and in general are gentler, cheaper (to buy a season pass to), and way better for families of four to visit from texas. Oh, and they are way more ****ing crowded. Utah wins.

I would put the steeps at Crested Butte and Silverton up against anything in Utah. There is a lot more more to Colorado skiing than the ****** I-70 resorts.

Utah Mountains are steeper, get more snow, and have better terrain. Colorado mountains have more vert, are higher up, and in general are gentler, cheaper (to buy a season pass to), and way better for families of four to visit from texas. Oh, and they are way more ****ing crowded. Utah wins.

Again thanks Snow. You are making it easy for me to back up my bold statement.

I would put the steeps at Crested Butte and Silverton up against anything in Utah. There is a lot more more to Colorado skiing than the ****** I-70 resorts.

Ya, but they are the exception, not the rule. In Utah, that **** is the rule. Besides, this is all a bunch of nonsense. Jackson Hole alone >>> Every resort in Colorado and Utah combined.

Addendum: The amount of snow utah resorts get alone puts them far and above colorado resorts. THey get ridiculous amounts. Pretty sure Alta averages TWICE the average colorado resort, or near that.

One thing Utah can't match Colorado for us summer skiing though. Abasin is the **** and always will be.

Last edited:
Ya, but they are the exception, not the rule. In Utah, that **** is the rule. Besides, this is all a bunch of nonsense. Jackson Hole alone >>> Every resort in Colorado and Utah combined.

I wouldnt say that either and I live in the Tetons.

I won't lie, that was hyperbole. Whatever, JHole is awesome. :lol:

It is awesome but I get tired of skiing in flat light. One problem with Colorado is they put the resorts in the wrong places. If they did a European ski train between Aspen and Crested Butte and added lifts along the way it would be the ski mecca of the world. Hell if they would just allow heli skiing that would be enough. That said the best skiing in the US is probably in Alaska.

It is awesome but I get tired of skiing in flat light. One problem with Colorado is they put the resorts in the wrong places. If they did a European ski train between Aspen and Crested Butte and added lifts along the way it would be the ski mecca of the world. Hell if they would just allow heli skiing that would be enough. That said the best skiing in the US is probably in Alaska.

Would be awesome, for sure. We need some new resorts like bad around here. Nothing actually new in the entire US in over 30 years. Ugh.

Would be awesome, for sure. We need some new resorts like bad around here. Nothing actually new in the entire US in over 30 years. Ugh.

There is a lot of people in Colorado that dont want you to have access to your public lands its too bad because if Colorado was in France there would be about 50 more ski resorts.

Can't comment from personal experience, but the word is that european snow is mediocre. Alps are pretty gnar of course.

I did a spring break there when I was in high school. The place we went to was called Cervinia. It was a tiny village right on the Italy/Switzerland border. It took three gondolas to reach the top. It's SEVEN miles from top to bottom. At the very top, you get off the gondola and ski down a ways and come to a sign. The sign has two flags. One Italian, one Swiss. You go left, you're in Italy, you go right, you go to Switzerland. Every night, it would snow like crazy, and then the sun would come out during the day. It was epic.

D3 you are right there is more to colorado than 1-70. I have not hit up Silverton yet so I will leave it out of the argument. CB does have some sick terrain I would say it best compares with Snowbird. The base at CB right now is 72 inches (this is a good year for CB) and SB is at 168". It is way more fun to huck and go big in deep pow with a solid base.

Now obviously I love the skiing in CO but when I dream about skiing I dream about the places I spent 13 years skiing in Utah.

just went to the Alps... worst winter in something like 30 years. the ski resort at Verbier (Switzerland) was reporting a 15 cm base.. I can't comment on the skiing there because everything was just an ice luge to the bottom on the one run that they have snow on... Would love to get out there for a good winter though. Those mountains are crazy big and steep. Skied at Alta this winter as well and had a blast, but I think that the Utah/Colorado skiing is very similar. Aspen Highlands - Vail - Silverton - Telluride - Wolf Creek are all baller resorts here in CO and have some pretty unbelievable terrain. I want to go back out to Alta/Snowbird to get a better experience out there, but in my opinion... they are pretty similar.

Let's line 'em up head to head:

Alta v A-Basin
Brighton v Keystone
Snowbird v Breckenridge
Solitude v Copper Mtn

Canyons v Beaver Creek
Deer Valley v Vail
Park City v Snowmass
Sundance v Aspen

Beaver Mtn v Eldora
Powder Mtn v Monarch
Snow Basin v Winter Park/MJ
Wolf Mtn v Sunlight

? V Crested Butte
? V Steamboat
? V Telluride
? V Silverton
? V Purgatory
? V Arrowhead
? V Powderhorn
? V Ski Cooper
? V Berthoud

Results? Colorado has MORE variety. Utah's top destinations like Alta, Park City and Deer Valley have some world class facilities and runs, but head to head, they have some stiff competition against Colorado's best. Alta is a powder pig's dream, but so is Wolf Creek. Alta has some sick steeps, but so does Crested Butte and A-Basin.
Park City and Deer Valley's high end are comparable to Vail and Aspen. Both have amazing amenities, but the Colorado top end resorts have more terrain and more fun towns. Sundance has it's film festival that's more star struck than Telluride's. But Aspen can consistently out-Hollywood Sundance.

And there are a bunch of uncontested match-ups. Colorado simply had more terrain and more options.
Colorado wins!

Each side is going to argue for their own mountains. just how it is. The ski teams will have no problem developing this rivalry. pretty sure they already dont like each other.

Then the CU ski team is going to have to try to turn it into a bigger rivalry with lots and lots of over the top trash talking. IMO a real football rivalry will take a few years to establish in this new conferance. Whenever Embree starts circling the same team on the calander every year like Mac did (knabraska) that's who it will be.

why not just dominate the pac and let someone else name us as their rival

You'd better hope it's one of the Arizona schools -- most of the old Pac-8 already have more rivals then they know what to do with. (Maybe Oregon State or Washington State would work too).

CAL: Stanford, to a much lesser extent the LA schools
Stanford: See above
USC: UCLA, Notre Dame, CAL and Stanford
UCLA: USC, CAL, Stanford
Oregon: Oregon State, Washington (this one is heating up a lot again now that Washington is no longer terrible)
Oregon State: Oregon
Washington: Washington State, Oregon
Washington State: Washington

You'd better hope it's one of the Arizona schools -- most of the old Pac-8 already have more rivals then they know what to do with. (Maybe Oregon State or Washington State would work too).

CAL: Stanford, to a much lesser extent the LA schools
Stanford: See above
USC: UCLA, Notre Dame, CAL and Stanford
UCLA: USC, CAL, Stanford
Oregon: Oregon State, Washington (this one is heating up a lot again now that Washington is no longer terrible)
Oregon State: Oregon
Washington: Washington State, Oregon
Washington State: Washington

other than your recent success against usc, are you really certain that THEY would consider you rivals?

i don't follow the p10 "rivalries" close enough to say one way or the other but that one jumped out at me.

it doesn't really matter, however. our Buffs have a ways to go before they are threatening enough to start talking about rivalries.

Sorry, Snow- disagree with you on several points here.

Yes, Utah is king when it comes to annual snow fall, so I will give them credit there. But their bragging rights are a bit exaggerated. It is known that several CO resorts do not include pre-skiseason snowfall (in otherwords, snow that melts early on) in their totals. Alta for example, includes all snow that melts in their total. Also, if you want to talk snow quality, tho not by much, Colorado has actually been proven to produce lighter snow. So we have the champagne powder.

Secondly, they say Colorado has 300+ sunny days a year for reason. Considering that we still do receive a decent amount of snow, how many states can brag that they receive many blue bird powder days like we do. Now, I've been skiing for 24 years, so that has provided me the opportunity to ski in other states including, New Mexico, Wyoming, Utah, Montana (as well as Europe) and I've often found their typical winter days to be overcast and sometimes even rainy. That sh!t gets old.

As far as terrain comparison? Are you kidding me? Colorado has plenty of sick sick stuff outside of the I70 resorts. Look no further than Silverton, Telluride, or Crusty Butt for example, and name one resort from Utah that offers more. And you mentioned crowds? Yes, I know the front resorts are bad on the weekends, but what makes you think Little and Big Cottonwood are any different? Those resorts are only a 20 minute drive from a major metro area and hell, one of the most crowded skiing days I've ever experienced was at Alta. The lines were so bad, everyone in my group went into the singles line to reduce wait time, and even that line was forming beyond the maze.

Lastly, skiing is a lifestyle (at least it is to me) and it's not all about the snow or terrain. Forget about Après ski? Ski town atmosphere? And let me tell you, outside of Park City (which also sucks), it is non existent in Utah. Anyone who doesn't believe in getting a beer at the base after a good day of turns should be damned to Fusker land for all eternity. Colorado reigns here.

Yes, Utah is king when it comes to annual snow fall, so I will give them credit there. But their bragging rights are a bit exaggerated. It is known that several CO resorts do not include pre-skiseason snowfall (in otherwords, snow that melts early on) in their totals. Alta for example, includes all snow that melts in their total. Also, if you want to talk snow quality, tho not by much, Colorado has actually been proven to produce lighter snow. So we have the champagne powder.

Secondly, they say Colorado has 300+ sunny days a year for reason. Considering that we still do receive a decent amount of snow, how many states can brag that they receive many blue bird powder days like we do. Now, I've been skiing for 24 years, so that has provided me the opportunity to ski in other states including, New Mexico, Wyoming, Utah, Montana (as well as Europe) and I've often found their typical winter days to be overcast and sometimes even rainy. That sh!t gets old.

As far as terrain comparison? Are you kidding me? Colorado has plenty of sick sick stuff outside of the I70 resorts. Look no further than Silverton, Telluride, or Crusty Butt for example, and name one resort from Utah that offers more. And you mentioned crowds? Yes, I know the front resorts are bad on the weekends, but what makes you think Little and Big Cottonwood are any different? Those resorts are only a 20 minute drive from a major metro area and hell, one of the most crowded skiing days I've ever experienced was at Alta. The lines were so bad, everyone in my group went into the singles line to reduce wait time, and even that line was forming beyond the maze.

Lastly, skiing is a lifestyle (at least it is to me) and it's not all about the snow or terrain. Forget about Après ski? Ski town atmosphere? And let me tell you, outside of Park City (which also sucks), it is non existent in Utah. Anyone who doesn't believe in getting a beer at the base after a good day of turns should be damned to Fusker land for all eternity. Colorado reigns here.

damn. that right there is a bitch slap!!! :lol:

I had not thought of this point... It sure is nice living in Colorado rather than living in Utah. Jhole of course, has fantastic apres ski, even if its limited due to only one resort...

But I 70 as a negative must be discussed. That road ruins so much fun.

I had not thought of this point... It sure is nice living in Colorado rather than living in Utah. Jhole of course, has fantastic apres ski, even if its limited due to only one resort...

C'mon, man. I70 provides access for a fraction (minority) of the CO resorts. Yes, I've had some long long delays but it's not too bad when I've got TG's mom up in shotgun doin' what she does best. Little and Big Cottonwood (I70's equivalent) more often gets shut down for the day due to avy slides burying the roads, no one even gets to go skiing.

No doubt that I70 is a nosebleed of a ski commute. It's a longer and more time consuming drive from Colorado's capitol city airport to the slopes.

But the drive up Little Cottonwood Canyon is no picknick, either. Traffic is bumper to bumper. Plus the brown cloud in SLC is thicker and more frequent than anything you'll find in Denver. Those Wasatch Mountains on the west of SLC do a great job trapping smog.
UtahValleySmog26Jan07.jpg

smog-9jpg-014d1cd55a2577a1.jpg

other than your recent success against usc, are you really certain that THEY would consider you rivals?

I am. This isn't to suggest that we've been as good as USC -- we obviously haven't. But we've played them every year since (I believe) the 20's at least, plus so many Cal alums live in Southern California, etc etc. We aren't their primary rival, nor are they ours, but there is a rivalry for sure. If you need more proof, recall how bent the alums of all the CA schools got when it looked like we all weren't going to play each other every year with the expansion of the PAC and formation of the North and South. USC and Cal alums (and big donors) were some of the most instrumental in making sure all 4 schools will continue to play every year.

I guess this sort of brings up the larger question of "what is a rivalry"? For me it's less about who's good this season and who isn't, and more about the tradition and the intense burning desire, regardless of how the rest of the season has gone, to beat the hell out of your rival.

To talk about the rivalry I'm the most familiar with, obviously every year I want Cal to have a great team, go to the Rose Bowl/Nat. Champ Game. But barring that, the season is a million times better if we beat Stanford. A million times better.

Then there's all the other stuff -- we stole their mascot, they unsuccessfully tried to prank us, etc. I love that stuff.

Last edited:
Back