What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac-12 Season News (2017)

Where do you get Rosen is bad at school?
It's an inference based on what he has said and what I have seen other college football players accomplish. "Rosen said he had trouble juggling his football practice schedule with his intended coursework and when there was a conflict, football prevailed." Ergo, if football prevailed and assuming we can all agree he has not done all that much on the football field (and being injured should have helped him with schoolwork even more) - I infer that he's not that good of a student.

The Cal situation is dire. It's so bad that they might not have an athletic department in another 25 years. How they got in this mess in the first place should be a cautionary tale.

The Cal situation is dire. It's so bad that they might not have an athletic department in another 25 years. How they got in this mess in the first place should be a cautionary tale.

Meh, Cal has a $1.5 billion+ endowment and a large and wealthy alumni/donor base. The money will come. This is just the "see, the old guys who got us into this trouble are gone and us new guys are righting the ship" phase.

Meh, Cal has a $1.5 billion+ endowment and a large and wealthy alumni/donor base. The money will come. This is just the "see, the old guys who got us into this trouble are gone and us new guys are righting the ship" phase.
Probably true. But the smart thing to do would have been to go to that large and wealthy alumni base before they went into debt.

Probably true. But the smart thing to do would have been to go to that large and wealthy alumni base before they went into debt.

Maybe. I once worked for a non-profit who hired a half-wit from Harvard as the director. He proceeded to try to build a HQ building in NYC on the idea that donors give more if you can show them something concrete. He ****ed up the finances and got a bridge loan from an investment bank which eventually could not be paid. The organization was basically bankrupt. The board fired the douchebag, and went to their (very wealthy) donors and fixed the finances in a matter of months. They sold the building, but I'm pretty sure the organization came out ahead financially, though suffering a PR nightmare for a time.

It's an inference based on what he has said and what I have seen other college football players accomplish. "Rosen said he had trouble juggling his football practice schedule with his intended coursework and when there was a conflict, football prevailed." Ergo, if football prevailed and assuming we can all agree he has not done all that much on the football field (and being injured should have helped him with schoolwork even more) - I infer that he's not that good of a student.
I think he meant things such as that football prevailed because he could not take certain classes because the time they were offered conflicted with football, as one example he cited. Rosen is a good student with specific plans for an MBA and career in economics. He's also very likely to be a 1st round draft pick if he proves that he's healthy and over the arm issue from last year.

If he just wanted to skate by on academics, he wouldn't have given that interview.

Maybe. I once worked for a non-profit who hired a half-wit from Harvard as the director. He proceeded to try to build a HQ building in NYC on the idea that donors give more if you can show them something concrete. He ****ed up the finances and got a bridge loan from an investment bank which eventually could not be paid. The organization was basically bankrupt. The board fired the douchebag, and went to their (very wealthy) donors and fixed the finances in a matter of months. They sold the building, but I'm pretty sure the organization came out ahead financially, though suffering a PR nightmare for a time.
So you're saying the smart thing for that non profit to have done was to go to their wealthy donors first?

So you're saying the smart thing for that non profit to have done was to go to their wealthy donors first?

I'm saying that the donors responded to a crisis, but didn't respond before the crisis. A lot of Cal donors probably wouldn't donate to renovate the football stadium, but certainly will to save rugby/soccer/whatever.

I'm not advocating it as a fundraising scheme, but it does seem to work. Same thing happened when the USS Intrepid was about to get out of drydock. The museum's board went to the press saying that they'd run out of money to complete the renovations, etc. That was clearly just a manufactured crisis to drive up donation levels.

I'm saying that the donors responded to a crisis, but didn't respond before the crisis. A lot of Cal donors probably wouldn't donate to renovate the football stadium, but certainly will to save rugby/soccer/whatever.

I'm not advocating it as a fundraising scheme, but it does seem to work. Same thing happened when the USS Intrepid was about to get out of drydock. The museum's board went to the press saying that they'd run out of money to complete the renovations, etc. That was clearly just a manufactured crisis to drive up donation levels.
Fair enough.

I love the Intrepid, by the way. Great museum.

Same concept used in every school funding battle I've ever seen. They're smart enough not to talk about having to de-fund art & music, strip back school lunches, go bare bones with special education, freeze teacher salaries, avoid buying new textbooks or computers, or go to overcrowded class sizes and team teaching. Nope. They threaten to drop the football team and the community rallies with the money they need.

Is it possible Cal shutters its AD before **** Baylor?

Poor Cal. So close to so many billionaires. So far from their money.

So Williams will graduate and move on with his life. The horror of not being able to transfer to a fourth school in his career.

No, it's not nearly that bad. Yes, it's certainly very ****ty, no doubt. As you and Nik start to say, fundraising is the key. The university has forever been too soft in fundraising, and over the past five years has really started to address that in new ways, after all CA public universities started to really suffer, to the point where the university is no operating like a private institution on the fundraising front. And they had their biggest donor year ever last year.

The university is also considering taking over the portion of the stadium cost that was specifically the seismic retrofit from under the burden of the athletics dept, since it absolutely had to happen. CMS was dangerous, and the Hayward is due sometime in the next 25 years for a good shake. Hoping I'm back in Colorado before the big one comes along. That **** freaks me out.

FWIW I'm thrilled that Coach Peterson will discipline even our best players when they violate team rules. This is so good for the youngsters to see that everybody is accountable for their actions. Victor is from all other accounts I've read a stand up guy and I can't wait to see him take the field later.

Back