What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac 12 TV Deal with FOX+ESPN, worth $250m per year according to NYT

Break down by Jon Wilner of the games:

- 44 regular-season football games televised annually on select ESPN and FOX broadcast or national cable networks, including ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, FOX broadcast network and FX.
- 10 regular-season football games per year will be on a combination of the ABC and FOX broadcast networks with full national clearance with a substantial commitment for primetime coverage.
- 34 regular-season games on national cable networks, FX, ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU.
- The remaining regular-season football games, an average of approximately three games per week, will be featured exclusively on the Pac-12 Network.
- The Pac-12 Football Championship Game, starting with FOX Sports in 2012 (FOX already has rights to the inaugural 2011 game) and then rotating between FOX Sports and ESPN each year. The game will take place on a Friday night primetime.
- 68 regular-season men’s basketball games, appearing on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and Fox Sports Net.
- The balance of regular-season men’s basketball games, over 120 each year, will be featured exclusively on either the Pac-12 Network or Pac 12 Digital Network.
- The Conference’s men’s basketball tournament (quarterfinals, semi-finals and the championship game) will be shown on ESPN/ESPN2 or FOX Sports/FX. ESPN will broadcast the first basketball championships and then rotate with FOX/FX each year thereafter. The balance of the tournament will be featured exclusively on the Pac 12 Network. Fox Sports Net continues to hold all rights to the 2012 tournament.
- Five women’s basketball games, including the Championship game of the Pac-12 women’s basketball tournament, plus 10 more Olympic sports events, on the ESPN family of networks.
- The Pac-12 Network will exclusively feature approximately another 200 live Olympic sports telecasts across 30 men’s and women’s sports annually.
- The Pac-12 Digital Networks will feature several hundred other live Pac-12 athletic events on an annual basis, not covered by ESPN, FOX Sports or the Pac-12 Network.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/colleg...ll-and-basketball-details-on-the-new-tv-deal/

Here are some details from the Pac-12 press conference and teleconference on the new TV deal.

Check back periodically — I’ll have updates over the next 90 minutes or two hours (and over the next few days, for that matter).

The big news up front:

1. Commissioner Larry Scott says that under the new deal with Fox and ESPN, every football and men’s basketball game will be televised, along with most women’s basketball games.

2.Scott also said the $21 million annual revenue for each school will allow schools to reinstate sports that have been cut. (The impact of the new deal on women’s and Olympic sports cannot be overstated.)

3. There WILL BE a Pac-12 Network, in case there was any lingering doubt.

I think the implication here is that Mr. Scott EXPECTS to have a lot of these sports reinstated.

So does this mean that when CU and Utah are battling DU for the next national skiing championship, it will be televised?

Interesting. I was not aware. Thanks for the info.

Yeah. Fox sports/Fox National = GOOD. FSN= basically regional cable sports is BAD

Although it looks like FSN will air some of the basketball games meh.

But at least the football games will only be on the good channels.

Yeah. Fox sports/Fox National = GOOD. FSN= basically regional cable sports is BAD

Although it looks like FSN will air some of the basketball games meh.

But at least the football games will only be on the good channels.

Fox Sports does not even exist in our market any more. It is Root Sports, and it is owned by DirecTV.

Ok so I crept over to the lammie board to read their bitching. They are arguing that our TV deal is proof that the BCS is antitrust/unfair....WHAT? How does a single conference negotiating a tv deal have anything to do with the BCS? Ok so if any of you lammies wander over here to read this, let me set you straight on something. This is about free enterprise, supply and demand, etc. The Pac 12 has a product that is worth $250 million a year to the networks, because that is what the networks feel it is worth. If the MWC can generate the same kind of interest then they will get their own paycheck. If you have an issue with the BCS bowl criteria, fine because that is a totally seperate compensation issue. Have fun with that, cause we rich and you ain't. Bwuahahaha!
Yeah they're pretty funny to listen to and they may be one of the most delusional fan base ever.

But :woot: :woot: :woot:

fans for D-1 swimming might be disappointed to know that (from what i was told, 2nd hand but i trust it) is that swimming/diving facilities in the Rec will not be a part of the big renovation that the students approved. instead a "social" type pool will be built for hanging out, with a goofy shape and fountains and other crap. be a like a resort pool, but without umbrella alcohol drinks. seems like a colossal waste to me, but the inmates run the asylum up there these days.

that would mean that D-1 swimming and diving would likely need their own facility....which i don't see happening. if we've got money to burn, then maybe out on the east campus land or something....the club team is a powerhouse (FWIW)....so, it might makes sense.

i swim 2-3 times a week in the AM and the Rec pools are already a clusterf*ck of inadequate lane space....for lap swim, club team, triathalon team...etc.

Last edited:
Huh. I figured they just changed the name. I did not know ownership changed as well.

DirecTV has owned the three FSN affiliates that changed their names since late 2009. I guess they are still considered FSN affiliates though. I can't say I understand the nuances of network ownership completely.

This is what wikipedia says about it:

Liberty Media originally acquired FSN's Pittsburgh, Northwest, and Rocky Mountain operations as part of a 2008 deal with News Corporation, who exchanged the networks, $550 million dollars, and their controlling interest in The DirecTV Group for a 16.3% share of News Corp. that had been owned by Liberty.[2] The Liberty Entertainment division (who owned the networks) would be spun-off and merged with The DirecTV Group in November 2009,[3] followed by the networks becoming a part of a new division, DirecTV Sports Networks.[4]
In December 2010, DirecTV announced that it would be re-branding its FSN affiliates in 2011 under the new name Root Sports. The new brand was created to emphasize connections between the network and fans who passionately support (or "root" for) their local teams. The networks will, according to DirecTV Sports Networks President/CEO Mark Shuken, have a "mindset" that "enables us to go from simply covering teams and games to providing an immersive experience as a fan and for the fan."[1] The name also gives the channels their own unique brand, signifying independence from the Fox Sports Net system (although programming partnerships with FSN are still in place).[5][6]
The Root Sports brand was phased in on the networks during the 1st quarter of 2011, and officially replaced the channels' Fox Sports Net branding (FSN Pittsburgh, FSN Northwest, FSN Rocky Mountain, FSN Utah) on April 1, 2011, to coincide with opening weekend of the Major League Baseball season, as Root Sports holds broadcast rights for the MLB teams in their respective regions.[1]

fans for D-1 swimming might be disappointed to know that (from what i was told, 2nd hand but i trust it) is that swimming/diving facilities in the Rec will not be a part of the big renovation that the students approved. instead a "social" type pool will be built for hanging out, with a goofy shape and fountains and other crap. be a like a resort pool, but without umbrella alcohol drinks. seems like a colossal waste to me, but the inmates run the asylum up there these days.

that would mean that D-1 swimming and diving would likely need their own facility....which i don't see happening.

Disappointing, but not unexpected. The USCU operates the Rec Center. A pool facility would need to be an AD facility where the athletic department has control over it's use. I maintain that an expanded Fieldhouse/Carlson could include a very solid swimming/diving/water polo facility along with a bunch of other stuff.

that would mean that D-1 swimming and diving would likely need their own facility....which i don't see happening.

It would have to be a long-term idea, I would think. Unless there's some way we can tie it in with a swim club such as the golf program did with a home course that's off campus. Is there anything in Boulder or Broomfield counties that would be able to handle Olympic-level competition?

It would have to be a long-term idea, I would think. Unless there's some way we can tie it in with a swim club such as the golf program did with a home course that's off campus. Is there anything in Boulder or Broomfield counties that would be able to handle Olympic-level competition?

i edited a little more info since you quoted me in my previous. apparently, from what the lifeguards tell me....the Carlson Pool at CU is full all the time with HS teams and locals....Boulder is Boulder, lot of swimmers. if the community is using CU's antiquated pools, hard to imagine there's a local facility that can accommodate competitive events and the practice schedule scholarship teams would need.

there is that totally weird new pool built on 30th street across from Grease Monkey and the 29th St. parking garage.

Last edited:
Would be perfectly ok with them sending the band to Vegas with free money hahaha. Was hoping for LA cuz the weather is nicer, but Vegas would work.

I think Vegas would be a easier draw than LA. FOr some reason, Staples arena does nto do well with the Tournament.

i am not sure they would do the tourney in vegas...

the gambling association is a touchy thing. i mean, i think i read somewhere you can't even bet on unlv games in the vegas books because they are worried about the association with gambling. would they really run a tourney there?

Great idea and each poster should get one question.

Junction: How do you feel about a future championship game in Vegas?

i am not sure they would do the tourney in vegas...

the gambling association is a touchy thing. i mean, i think i read somewhere you can't even bet on unlv games in the vegas books because they are worried about the association with gambling. would they really run a tourney there?

Call me Nostradumbass.

Damn, what a terrible deal. this is really gonna kill allbuffs. Can you imagine how many threads there are gonna be asking which channel the CU game is on? It is gonna RUIN US!!

Let's get to the nitty-griitty. What's it going to cost me for an annual subscription to the pac 12 digital network? I get ESPN3 for free based on my ISP. I'll set the over/under at $99. Does that sound right?

Way, way less. It's going to be on a tier of your cable/satellite provider (like Big10 Network is now). It won't be something you buy on its own.

Way, way less. It's going to be on a tier of your cable/satellite provider (like Big10 Network is now). It won't be something you buy on its own.

ps... ... looking forward to "hating" you for many years to come, man!

i'm taking a group of cal guys with me to boulder for the game this fall. their livers will never be the same when i am done with them.

ps... ... looking forward to "hating" you for many years to come, man!

i'm taking a group of cal guys with me to boulder for the game this fall. their livers will never be the same when i am done with them.

This them?

images

Back