What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Predictions for RMS

Be Bold...

CSU is boldly heading to a place where other D1 schools fear to tread...the FCS.

Rams lost another starter on their defense - they have no lost, or are expected to lose, the below by the time we see them in Sept.

CJ James - Senior Defensive End
Mike Orakpo - Junior Linebacker (likely kicked off team or suspended for our game)
Nordly Capi - Junior Defensive Lineman (likely kicked off team or suspended for our game)
Colton Paulhaus - Junior Defensive Lineman (likely kicked off team or suspended for our game)
Drew Reilly - Sophmore Defensive Back

That front seven is essentially decimated, as Sisson also graduated. This is the opportunity for our offensive line to prove that they've finally pulled it together. We'd better pound the rock down their throat, and then follow it up with some effective play action.

Their defense was going to struggle anyway, now it looks like a disaster. Add in a poor defensive staff and injuries (no team completely avoids them), you have a team that better be able to outscore everyone.

This sets up well for us in breaking in the starting five on OL. They should (hopefully) gel the first couple weeks before that primetime road game against Fresno.

Rams lost another starter on their defense - they have no lost, or are expected to lose, the below by the time we see them in Sept.

CJ James - Senior Defensive End
Mike Orakpo - Junior Linebacker (likely kicked off team or suspended for our game)
Nordly Capi - Junior Defensive Lineman (likely kicked off team or suspended for our game)
Colton Paulhaus - Junior Defensive Lineman (likely kicked off team or suspended for our game)
Drew Reilly - Sophmore Defensive Back

That front seven is essentially decimated, as Sisson also graduated. This is the opportunity for our offensive line to prove that they've finally pulled it together. We'd better pound the rock down their throat, and then follow it up with some effective play action.

Oh man. Now CSU has an(other) excuse when they lose.
This game has a built in asterisk for them.
"If CSU were full force....blah, blah, blah"

Would anyone be surprised if Orakpo, Capi, and Paulhaus are suspended from preseason workouts (to teach them a lesson) but reinstated in time to play against CU?

Would anyone be surprised if Orakpo, Capi, and Paulhaus are suspended from preseason workouts (to teach them a lesson) but reinstated in time to play against CU?
If CSU has any hope of getting a new on campus stadium, those players will be gone.

Yeah, the media and community scrutiny would be intense if they're kept around. Neither McElwhine or Graham can be blamed for a crumby season as the result of getting rid of them - so it makes sense to dump em. But if they keep em, then that would tarnish their reputation early.

They were going to have a crappy season with or without those guys. Might as well cut the cancer.

wouldn't surprise me at all

Yeah, the media and community scrutiny would be intense if they're kept around. Neither McElwhine or Graham can be blamed for a crumby season as the result of getting rid of them - so it makes sense to dump em. But if they keep em, then that would tarnish their reputation early.

what reputation?

Oh, you meant the new coach, who came from alerbammer where everything is swept under the rug. My bad.

wouldn't surprise me at all

what reputation?

Oh, you meant the new coach, who came from alerbammer where everything is swept under the rug. My bad.

If McElwain doesn't agree with the Ft. Collins community pressure to punish the bad apples, then he would move one step closer to being a just another coach who is just there to collect the paycheck.

Last edited by a moderator:
If McElwain doesn't agree with the Ft. Collins community pressure to punish the bad apples, then he would move one step closer to being a just another coach who is just there to collect the paycheck.

Of course that's why he's there. It's a good paycheck and a chance to use it as a stepping stone to a better job if he does well. He'd also been putting out feelers to get out of Alabama since he's been there. That wasn't a good marriage despite the on-field results.

I am going to be REALLY curious at what CSU looks like on the field - meaning how Vanilla is his offense going to be? Was the boring offense we saw at Bama the results of Saban repressing McElwhine's creativity?

Who knows - but I think this guy has bust written all over him. There is a reason that he ended up at CSU, and not a more prestigious school

I am going to be REALLY curious at what CSU looks like on the field - meaning how Vanilla is his offense going to be? Was the boring offense we saw at Bama the results of Saban repressing McElwhine's creativity?

Who knows - but I think this guy has bust written all over him. There is a reason that he ended up at CSU, and not a more prestigious school

There is a Fairbanks vibe about this hire.
From a big name powerhouse with a big paycheck and a perspective that isn't necessarily compatible with the microbrew drinking tree hugging academics before athletic leaning locals.

The facilities are a key issue, both the 70 yard indoor practice field and the off-campus stadium.

Capi, Orakpo, and Paulhus have been expelled. Safe to say they are done at CSU.

Whoa - where are you getting this from? I haven't heard they've been expelled.
Lambnation had a post with the email saying they were expelled. Didn't read it however but here it is:

[hide]To the CSU Community:

Recent events involving a few of our football players are disturbing
and unacceptable. It is important you hear personally from me about
the standards to which we hold our student-athletes.

First, an update. As has been widely reported already, there was an
off-campus fight a couple of weeks ago between a group of CSU
football players and some other CSU students in which the level of
violence exerted by the players was beyond anything that could be
considered reasonable. As a result, three of our players have been
charged with misdemeanor disorderly conduct.

As AD, I want to make it absolutely clear that we have zero
tolerance for this kind of behavior by our student athletes. Our
football coaches led by Coach McElwain cooperated fully with the
police investigation and we acted immediately to suspend the players
from the team indefinitely—a suspension that is now permanent. The
resulting criminal charges were determined by the Larimer County
District Attorney based on an investigation by the Fort Collins
Police. While some of you have expressed concern to me that the
charges don’t seem appropriate, I can only refer those concerns to
the DA.

What I can say from the CSU perspective is that these players are
also subject to the CSU Student Conduct process, which assesses
whether they have violated the student code of conduct. Independent
of any criminal charges, violations of the student conduct code can
lead to sanctions up to and including expulsion from the university,
depending on the severity of the offense and whether it is part of a
pattern of behavior. The Department of Athletics is fully supportive
of the University’s processes for addressing this type of incident,
and while the results of such processes are typically not public,
there is an exception when the allegations concern violence,
including assault offenses. For that reason, I am able to report now
that players Mike Orakpo, Nordly Capi, and Colton Paulhus have been
expelled from Colorado State, effective Monday May 7. Although
there is an appeal process, expulsion in our Student Conduct Code
means permanently removed from the University (they have been
prohibited from coming on campus since the incident occurred).

I also want to address another disturbing finding in the Fort
Collins Police report that steroids and marijuana paraphernalia were
found in the residences of two of the players. I cannot guarantee
that our student-athletes will not use illegal substances, whether
recreational or performance enhancing—I wish I could. I can tell
you, however, that I am committed, as are all of our coaches and
Athletic Department staff, to drug-free athletics and athletes.

All of our student-athletes are subject to year-round mandatory and
random drug testing by the NCAA. They conduct tests on
approximately 10% of our student-athletes between one and three
times annually. Immediately after I began my work as Athletic
Director, I took steps to implement additional biweekly tests
conducted by CSU that involve about 8% of our athletes in each
testing session, which is well above the norm relative to other
universities. The consequences for testing positive to drugs or to
masking agents (we test for that too) are harsh. It is unlikely an
athlete will survive at Colorado State if he/she chooses to take
drugs, and I can promise you that such behavior will in no way be
tolerated or abetted.

With all these issues coming up at this time, I want to restate very
clearly that CSU Athletics is committed to upholding the highest
ethical standards in all aspects of our competition. Our coaches –
all of them – are committed to recruiting student-athletes who:

(i) Have strong character;

(ii) Have academic capabilities that give us high confidence they
will succeed and graduate; and

(iii) Are great athletes.

We make decisions to offer scholarships in that order. An athlete
who does not clear our character and academic standards, regardless
of their athleticism, will not be offered a scholarship.

We want to win at Colorado State – we will win at Colorado State –
but not at any cost. There are very clear ethical lines that we will
always honor.

On April 22, all student-athletes, coaches and members of the
Athletic Department met with me to discuss the expectations we have
of each other with regard to behavior and citizenship. We agree we
must be held to a higher standard because we are highly visible
representatives of our University. It is essential that we
represent Colorado State as great people, great students and great
athletes.

Virtually every student-athlete and coach is horrified, angry and
embarrassed by the actions of these few. With me, our student-
athletes and coaches have accepted responsibility for these actions
and for doing all we can to root out this behavior to the extent it
may still exist.

There is another aspect to this story that was highlighted in the
police report but not mentioned in the media accounts: Two of our
other players not only attempted to break up the fight but
apologized to the other students at the scene and refused to get
back in the car with the players who were involved in the fight.
They were straight-forward with their coaches and the police about
what happened despite considerable peer pressure to behave
otherwise. Just as we may want to condemn the students involved in
the fight, we also need to acknowledge and give credit to those who
made the right choices under very tense circumstances. It is these
students who set the standard for CSU athletics, and these are the
students who have earned and deserve our support.

You have my word our athletes will continue to be held accountable
to represent our University in ways that always make us proud that
we are Colorado State University Rams.

Jack Graham
Director of Athletics
Colorado State University[/hide]

CSU was going to be terrible this year, losing these guys make them worse but probably isn't going to make much difference in the eventual record.

Gettting rid of them avoids the bad publicity of their actions and as stated earlier gives them a handy excuse. "Yeah, we were terrible but we would have been a lot better if we had the starters who got kicked out."

McElwain is going to regret taking this job. If he can get them to any kind of bowl he will be a miracle worker and should take any other job offer that bowl gets him. More than likely he has a number of bad seasons, they keep him because they can't afford to buy him out, and eventually he ends up in an assistants job someplace else.

Will be curious to see if the fallout spreads due to the steroids found in the apartment. Think any other players were involved with that scheme?

Ram fans are going to get hurt patting themselves on the back like this :lol:

This happened because the university took the decision out of the AD's hands. I bet coach sparkles was preaching the "give em a 5th chance" speech.

Thats too bad, dont get me wrong, they got exactly what they deserved. It would have spiced up game week though, had they let them play. I guess the only way these guys were gonna play is if they played for Tom Osborne lol.

Thats too bad, dont get me wrong, they got exactly what they deserved. It would have spiced up game week though, had they let them play. I guess the only way these guys were gonna play is if they played for Tom Osborne lol.

Dr. Tom would have been smart enough to hide the bloody clothes, sneakers, steroids and recreational drugs in a safe in his office until the season was over.

Back