What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Random CU Olympic Sports Thread

It's on ESPN though. So now the criteria for athletes is that's it's on ESPN and they have to be able to do what 99% of the population can't. Are bowlers athletes than?

You're really looking at this in a black/white perspective

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So golfers aren't athletes right?

I consider golfers to be lower on the athlete totem poll than competitive cheerleaders.

Case in point: Miguel Angel Jimenez is one of the greatest golf athletes of his generation.

Sports%2BPictures%2BWeek%2B2008%2BMay%2B26%2BX2xSqzacrkwl.jpg

What is your definition "athlete"?

I would say that an athlete is someone who competes or trains in a sport for the broad definition.

But more specifically, an athlete is gifted with speed, strength, agility and endurance.

I feel there is a difference between athleticism and someone who is skilled at a sport (or has a specialized skill within a sport).

Only in the most general and broad sense would I put both Carl Lewis and Dick Weber (bowler) under the same "athlete" label.

I would say that an athlete is someone who competes or trains in a sport for the broad definition.

But more specifically, an athlete is gifted with speed, strength, agility and endurance.

I don't have problem with this definition.

I feel there is a difference between athleticism and someone who is skilled at a sport (or has a specialized skill within a sport).

Only in the most general and broad sense would I put both Carl Lewis and Dick Weber (bowler) under the same "athlete" label.

I would absolutely include competitive cheerleaders under the athlete label.

do we need a poll?

athlete: cheerleaders

not athlete: golfers, burrito-eating gophers, chess players, dart players, poker, and accountants. These are all nice games and can involve cheating, but not athleticism.

c2fedc22879b11e396bb0e8092767a2f_8.jpg

cubuffssoccer 3 hours ago
Costan Rican National Team Coach Jorge Pinto with Don and Jason on campus today. Costa Rica is in Boulder looking at training sites for the 2014 World Cup! #toppitch

[video=youtube;cw5nnZ43ax0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw5nnZ43ax0[/video]

[video=youtube;Q58BdtTKDw8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q58BdtTKDw8[/video]

[tweet]456259602145742848[/tweet]

[tweet]456259974184710145[/tweet]

[tweet]456260395959730176[/tweet]

Just because they train just hard as any athlete doesn't mean they are athletes. Ballerinas can train just as hard for 3x as long and I wouldn't consider them athletes either.

Apparently having a differing opinion to you is ignorance.

No, in your case, it is ignorance. You try ballet sometime. It requires strength, agility, stamina, hand/eye coordination, balance, flexibility, and discipline. Those are all athletic traits. The ability to hit a round ball with a round bat is talent, not necessarily athleticism. The ability to throw a football 49 yards on a spiral is talent, not athleticism. Based on your comments, you really don't understand what athleticism is.

Back