What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Scholarship football players are getting their education for free

Are scholorship football players are getting their education for free

• Yes

Votes: 48 51.6%
  • No

Votes: 45 48.4%

• Total voters
Also don't kid yourself into thinking a scholarship is some form of "payment" for the player's hard work. It's not a reward, it's a recruiting tool. Scholarships are there to induce kids to come play at your school so the school can make a lot of money.

Think of it this way, if the NCAA completely banned football scholarships, would kids stop playing college football? No, it would just be harder for kids to afford school. The kids who pay their way would still play.

It is like a work study exchange where they spend their time meeting other's demands, but focusing on something that they like.

Think of it this way, if the NCAA completely banned football scholarships, would kids stop playing college football? No, it would just be harder for kids to afford school. The kids who pay their way would still play.
Not true. I'd go play Canadian College Football. I can't imagine that the National Canadian Collegiate Athletic Association would ban Canadian football scholarships. Canadians are cool like that.

I'm curious what our posters that were scholarship football players think.....

On a different note, my dad went to the Air Force Academy and considered that a free education but I suppose many here would not look at that as being free either.

Chippy, every time I see your avatar, I think of this:

SeriousCat.jpg

Actually, the university is getting ripped off with this deal. These athletes are getting an education that they don't pay for, free room and board, free medical care, the use of phenomenal facilities and top caliber coaching for 5 years all of which enable them to earn millions of dollars in the NFL after they leave. Given what it gets them when they turn pro these players should be paying double what the average CU student does for the privilege of going to CU.

(I know this is a ridiculous argument (which I don't agree with) but since this is a pointless thread...Please don't "prove me wrong".)

How much did CU earn last year from football? Gross and net.

Divide that up between the number of scholarship players and you can even argue that they are giving up more to the University than what they are getting in return. If they blow out their knee or their back than I would certainly say that they are putting more at risk than the University does as well.

Actually, the university is getting ripped off with this deal. These athletes are getting an education that they don't pay for, free room and board, free medical care, the use of phenomenal facilities and top caliber coaching for 5 years all of which enable them to earn millions of dollars in the NFL after they leave. Given what it gets them when they turn pro these players should be paying double what the average CU student does for the privilege of going to CU.

(I know this is a ridiculous argument (which I don't agree with) but since this is a pointless thread...Please don't "prove me wrong".)

awesome

Yep, all those guys that have been drafted lately are getting a steal.

Re: Scholorship football players are getting their education for free

I suppose.

Players put in a lot of work to "earn" their "free" ride.
Yes they do but, what now is the cost of putting a kid through 4 years of college - got to be alot, and if it's a private school, thousands more. I'm talking books, meals, rent, the whole ball of wax. Less and less kids are now going to college. Alot go to Tech schools, JC's, or don't go at all because fewer and fewer parents can afford to do it.

In the last few years very few CU players are making millions in the NFL. How many CU players were taken in this year's draft?

Re: Scholorship football players are getting their education for free

Yes they do but, what now is the cost of putting a kid through 4 years of college - got to be alot, and if it's a private school, thousands more. I'm talking books, meals, rent, the whole ball of wax. Less and less kids are now going to college. Alot go to Tech schools, JC's, or don't go at all because fewer and fewer parents can afford to do it.

so...what does that have to do with a "free" education?

there are benefits to being a student-athlete on scholarship for sure. but there are costs too. clearly the accountants and bankers on this board can't see past the ****ing bottom line, but i expected more out of the rest of you ****ers...

the definition of "free" is definitely the key.

free to me means a gift; nothing required in return for the goods or services.

an athletic scholarship is paid for in time, effort, dedication, and public representation of the university.

it is definitely not "free".

^^^Yep^^^

Also athletes loose out on potential earnings associated with a 'regular' job.

Not only are FB players not getting a 'free' education, you could argue they are being unduely exploited.

I said no. Only because I'm looking at it from playing their sport is their profession and education is how they are getting paid.

^^^Yep^^^

Also athletes loose out on potential earnings associated with a 'regular' job.

Not only are FB players not getting a 'free' education, you could argue they are being unduely exploited.

Get serious a "regular job"? So it's unfair that they aren't allowed to roll burritos at Illegal Pete's for minimum wage in their spare time? You can probably afford not to have that "regular job" when you don't even have to pay for food.

Also, many (not all) of these athletes would never get in to CU if they weren't coming in on a football scholarship. All they have to do is "qualify" academically, so there's no competetive admissions for them.

i lived on a 16,000$ a year fellowship in Boulder, Colorado and taught classes with a full doctoral course load as a PhD student (and was lucky to have the fellowship). considering the cost of living in Boulder, c'mon? i worked 25-30 hours a week when i was MA student.

if you all you have to do is make C's to play football with today's grade inflation and athletic tutoring, i think the educational opportunity at a very good school like CU is more than worth it. i get the "exploitation" or even gladiator/spectacle angle....but that's how many players out of the total roster that complete the University markets me out of money i don't make logic? Adam Drill or the 3rd team outside LB wasn't missing out on marketing money. god bless em for their effort, but hey.

should there be a kind of stipend or middle ground, sure.

Get serious a "regular job"? So it's unfair that they aren't allowed to roll burritos at Illegal Pete's for minimum wage in their spare time? You can probably afford not to have that "regular job" when you don't even have to pay for food.

Also, many (not all) of these athletes would never get in to CU if they weren't coming in on a football scholarship. All they have to do is "qualify" academically, so there's no competetive admissions for them.

they are paying for their food with their efforts and representation of the university. obviously you can't see the point in that.

idot.

as to your second "point", they still have to maintain specific academic standards to qualify for their scholarship. implying that is an easy task that gives the scholarship athlete an advantage over the general population is assinine.

idot.

i lived on a 16,000$ a year fellowship in Boulder, Colorado and taught classes with a full doctoral course load as a PhD student (and was lucky to have the fellowship). considering the cost of living in Boulder, c'mon? i worked 25-30 hours a week when i was MA student.

if you all you have to do is make C's to play football with today's grade inflation and athletic tutoring, i think the educational opportunity at a very good school like CU is more than worth it. i get the "exploitation" or even gladiator/spectacle angle....but that's how many players out of the total roster that complete the University markets me out of money i don't make logic? Adam Drill or the 3rd team outside LB wasn't missing out on marketing money. god bless em for their effort, but hey.

should there be a kind of stipend or middle ground, sure.

i totally respect what you have done in your time at cu, mick. you are one of the good guys. you are not an idot.

at least i don't think you are.

how did you vote?

:cool:

they are paying for their food with their efforts and representation of the university. obviously you can't see the point in that.

idot.

as to your second "point", they still have to maintain specific academic standards to qualify for their scholarship. implying that is an easy task that gives the scholarship athlete an advantage over the general population is assinine.

idot.

If that's your logic, then every walkon or high school player is either getting ripped off or is a moron since they have to "work" and STILL have to pay for their food. If it was such a bad deal for the athletes, why do so many kids still play??

And I understand that they have to qualify, but all they need to do is meet the minimum academic standards in high school to get in. An average student has to compete for admissions with the tens of thousands of other applicants to be admitted - scholarship athletes get to skip this step....idot.

Well, now that we've established that everybody who has taken one side or the other in this little debate is an idot, can we move on?

Can someone clue me into the point of this thread?
No.

In the truest sense, yes it's a free ride since they do not pay for their expenses including tuition, room, board, food and sweet Nike gear.

Is it free in terms of the wear and tear on their body? No.

I suspect many parents look at it as being "free" since they don't have to pay for their kids schooling or that kid does not have to take out student loans either.

A scholarship is like a bonus at work. You work hard and excel at what you do, you will be greeted with a bonus for your hard work, but only the elite will get that bonus, by meeting certain criteria.

We could go back to Hawkins' "It's Big 12 fooball" audio and remind ourselves that the rant was about a parent request for the guys to get TWO flipping weeks off in the summer. Yeah, the schedule isn't all that demanding to take a couple summer school classes and work out in a nice facility, but the guys are away from friends, family and GFs all summer in addition to all year.

Yeah, they get those "free trips" to Nebraska and where ever else, but all that means is they are with the team for another 3 days straight, and not doing all the hanging around that "regular" students get in their college experience. And when they get back Sunday, they are up and at it at class the next day, making up anything they missed.

They are putting in a lot more time than the average student.
And I wonder if they get enough free time, being the teenagers and young 20s they are. That's just me, I really enjoyed the freedom of being away from home and with new people. These guys have a pretty rigid schedule.

I don't see it as free, and I don't see it as paid. It's an exchange, and each player has to decide whether the deal is worth it, given what he values.

Dan Hawkins talks about scheduling

Back