What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Scrimmage notes

Scrimmage Stats from CUBuffs.com

DScott- 14 carries for 86 yards. Not bad.
Ray Ray- 6 att. for 35 yards
Rodney Stewart 4 att. for 29yds.

Cody went 17-26 for 275 yards. No picks. 3 TD's.

JFly 3 catches for 72 yards.
PWill 2 catches for 61 yards.

Jimmy Smith took a PR to the house.

Brad Jones seemed to be everywhere. 14 tackles. 2TFL and 1 sack.

am curious about how "speedy" stewart's being used in the offense....mainly an outside running threat?...screens, reverses and more of those redundent end arounds from last year?...is he being sent upfield as a receiver ever?

i haven't heard a single person say anything different...i'm hoping Hawk finds a lot of different ways to get the ball in his hands with some space or in a 1 on 1 coverage where he breaks a tackle and takes off

Nah, he needs to be redshirted.
Agreed. He looks like he has potential to be a capable QB, but there is not any distance between him and Nelson. Hansen's running abilities are nice but his lack of passing acumen negates them. RS him and let him build some muscle and experience. I like his toughness and his courage. I was worried about our depth at QB next year watching Ballenger play (it was not pretty). Hansen should RS unless things get really desperate.

Couple of thots from the video and the stat sheet:

1. I realize the vid didn't have the whole scrimmage, but the inside handoff running plays look like they need work. Could be # of reps with the o-line. We'll see how these plays look in later scrimmages.

2. I like the way Hansen moves. He may be pushing hard for pt after a redshirt year, although it's gonna be hard to unseat Cody.

3. The o-line looks huge.

4. Yes, it's just a scrimmage, but the 3rd down efficiency sucked (from an O standpoint).

the 3rd down efficiency sucked, but Cody and McKnight are a deadly combo on those broken down plays...

“Both plays were slight improve plays by Cody and me,” McKnight explained. “We did a great job finding the soft spots and Cody is so accurate, he put the ball where it needed to be and I just had to catch it. We’ve worked on doing some things so that we’re on the same page when a play doesn’t go as planned. We both understand what we need to do to find a soft spot in the D. We just find a hole in the zone and today we did that.”

McKnight was basically invisible unless the play went to ****. Great thing for a QB to have.

I really hate handing the ball off in the shotgun. It seems to me like the RB can't really gain any momentum when he hits the hole. I was never a huge fan. I hope Hawk lines Cody up under center in the red zone. jmho.

Based on those stats, the video did not show much of that at all. I hate the side hand-off. looked like the running back had to avoid the quarter back first, and then get going. Cody did not look very good in the video high lights...took to long to throw. Oh well, first scrimmage.

I really hate handing the ball off in the shotgun. It seems to me like the RB can't really gain any momentum when he hits the hole. I was never a huge fan. I hope Hawk lines Cody up under center in the red zone. jmho.

i've got to completely agree with that....what makes it successful are the play actions passes from the shotgun, but if you can't establish a good run from the start it doesn't matter....part of what makes this offense successful for the likes of Kansas, K-state and others is a mobile QB which cody is not

i've got to completely agree with that....what makes it successful are the play actions passes from the shotgun, but if you can't establish a good run from the start it doesn't matter....part of what makes this offense successful for the likes of Kansas, K-state and others is a mobile QB which cody is not
cody juked anthony wright (I think) out of his shoes today on a scramble. They called the play dead before cody could take it to the house:). He will never be a option QB, but he could be as mobile as Reesing imo. It seems to be a mentality and confidence issue more then an ability issue.

holy crap Scott audibled the punt fake according to Hawk in the interview. That was not a coaches decision!

ooopsies, it really wasn't a good day for 5 star!

Did you see the stiff arm he tried to give Polk? It's about 1:27 in the vid. 9 times out of 10 Scott's successful with that stiff arm. I think Polk got lucky. :smile2:

Did you see the stiff arm he tried to give Polk? It's about 1:27 in the vid. 9 times out of 10 Scott's successful with that stiff arm. I think Polk got lucky. :smile2:
I watched him give the stiff arm. He seemed to give up and be frankly shocked that Polk held on.

I think it was cause Polks a bad ass. He looked GOOD today. One bad drop, but he was confident, quick, and dangerous.

cody juked anthony wright (I think) out of his shoes today on a scramble. They called the play dead before cody could take it to the house:). He will never be a option QB, but he could be as mobile as Reesing imo. It seems to be a mentality and confidence issue more then an ability issue.

I don't know about that. Obviously no one is going to take a shot at the QB in practice or they'll be on a plane home the next day.:smile2: If cody tries to get tricky out there and run he'll get nailed. Just run 5 yards and slide cody! for the love of god! Don't try to juke anyone. :lol:

I watched him give the stiff arm. He seemed to give up and be frankly shocked that Polk held on.

I think it was cause Polks a bad ass. He looked GOOD today. One bad drop, but he was confident, quick, and dangerous.

He's been having some issues with catching the ball. But he seems to be correcting it pretty quickly.

that stiff arm was like swatting flies away in his high school videos....if he can still push people away with that ease at this level then he will definately be the force that he's hyped to be

Alot of people are saying Scott is not at 100%. I've heard its from a minor groin injury, and i've also heard he came into camp a little out of shape. Not sure which, if any, are true, but he doesn't seem to be tearing it up out there. And i do realize it's only the first week of camp. I'm just sayin. :smile2:

i've heard from lots of places that DS is a little out of shape and he's (along with others) have been blaming the altitude....i'm a Colorado native so i don't truly understand the altitude claim, but if it is truly this taxing on players then how come we don't kill every team at home in the 2nd half???

Our offensive line is just stellar in pass blocking. I think Cody had over 8 seconds back there on several occasions before throwing to a (finally) open guy. The only time cody went down he tripped over an offensive linemans leg (trunk? Those guys are big!)

I hope the time Cody had in the pocket is a sign of how the line will be all year and not of a serious lack of pass rush. With the number of good Big 12 QBs this year, no pressure=no wins.

I hope the time Cody had in the pocket is a sign of how the line will be all year and not of a serious lack of pass rush. With the number of good Big 12 QBs this year, no pressure=no wins.
A little of both I think. Neither Miller nor Solder had any problems today. The DE's were invisible against the #1 Oline. Against the #2 oline, they dominated. So take that for what it is worth.

A little of both I think. Neither Miller nor Solder had any problems today. The DE's were invisible against the #1 Oline. Against the #2 oline, they dominated. So take that for what it is worth.

I like to think that practicing day in and day out against the likes of Ryan Miller and Nate Solder has to make our Dline better.

i've heard from lots of places that DS is a little out of shape and he's (along with others) have been blaming the altitude....i'm a Colorado native so i don't truly understand the altitude claim, but if it is truly this taxing on players then how come we don't kill every team at home in the 2nd half???

The altitude does play a factor but I have noticed it more with drinking than with stamina. It only lasts about a week or so tho. Stamina wise I was out of shape when I came back this summer but after a week and a half of playing basketball I could run all day. If DS has an injured groin he should rest it for a couple of days and let it get to 100%. Nagging injuries bother me especially when you can rest it for a week and they'll be fine the rest of the season rather than have a player play at 80% all season.

This was a blocked punt returned and I'm not sure what exactly happened....but it looked like he got dinged on this play. He was limping the rest of the day. Sure it was minor.

He actually limped on to the field for the play, ran like nothing was wrong when the ball was in his hands then limped off the field.

Back