What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sefo Liufau v Steven Montez

Starting QB when Sefo is back

• Total voters
They are going to want Montez but after sefo tears ASU apart they are going to feel embarrassed that they actually didn't want Sefo to start.

I don't think its a stretch to say that before the injury, Sefo was playing at O'Brien award level. He looked like one of the top QB's in the nation. If he is playing close to that on Saturday, ASU won't be able to stop it. Montez has an extremely bright future. He is going to be a very very good QB, but I don't think it is any disrespect to say that he isn't fully ready yet.

Remember how dominant Sefo looked before the injury....he was ALL WORLD against Michigan.
If he's healthy, he deserves to start.
If he can't go or doesn't play well, fall back upon Montezuma.

I don't think its a stretch to say that before the injury, Sefo was playing at O'Brien award level. He looked like one of the top QB's in the nation. If he is playing close to that on Saturday, ASU won't be able to stop it. Montez has an extremely bright future. He is going to be a very very good QB, but I don't think it is any disrespect to say that he isn't fully ready yet.
Agreed. And Montez has certainly earned the respect of his teammates and coaches. People always talk about how the team rally's behind sefo. They also rally behind Steven especially the young guys. I know this has been beat to death but how nice is it to have two QBs (I think Noyer is pretty damn good too). Stevens time will come and it could come again this year.

It's the little things that really separate Sefo and Montez. They can both make the necessary throws and operate the bulk of the offense relatively similar, but it's the blitz recognition, clock management, knowing when to get rid of the ball, general pocket awareness, etc. Those little things add up throughout a game and is what gives Sefo the edge.

Yes Sefo should start and after Montez's miserable performance, no one can deny that. But I'm tired of the claim that this is "Sefo's team" as if that has any merit whatsoever. The player who should start at QB should be the best QB we have and the player the team is best with, no matter what. The answer to that happens to be Sefo, but if Montez had shown he was the answer to that question, then he should be starting and claims that this is Sefo's team would fall flat. This is not Sefo's team, this is Mike MacIntyre's team.

Yes Sefo should start and after Montez's miserable performance, no one can deny that. But I'm tired of the claim that this is "Sefo's team" as if that has any merit whatsoever. The player who should start at QB should be the best QB we have and the player the team is best with, no matter what. The answer to that happens to be Sefo, but if Montez had shown he was the answer to that question, then he should be starting and claims that this is Sefo's team would fall flat. This is not Sefo's team, this is Mike MacIntyre's team.

Don't think they are mutually exclusive.

More importantly, how will the 1% feel?
No major impact on them. They'll briefly notice the announced starting QB while dining on fine cheeses and wine in their luxury box then continue on with congratulating each other on being masters of the Universe during the game. #FirstWorldProblems

It's the little things that really separate Sefo and Montez. They can both make the necessary throws and operate the bulk of the offense relatively similar, but it's the blitz recognition, clock management, knowing when to get rid of the ball, general pocket awareness, etc. Those little things add up throughout a game and is what gives Sefo the edge.
This is really all it boils down to. When Sefo came in last week I remember a play that he changed to a run that resulted in some good yardage. It was the right call and just not something Montez can do right now.

Sefo looked good. Damn good. So glad that he, and the team, got to see Folsom like that again. It's been a long time.

Hopefully just an appetizer for a raucous Thursday night against UCLA and a game against Utah with the South Division on the line.

...Not to mention that crucial Wazzu game. We're not letting Wazzu of all teams come into Folsom and put a dent in this season. No ****ing way.

All we're seeing is the difference between a senior and a rs-frosh. Montez is a heck of a player, but experience matters so much when it comes to orchestrating an offense.

As I said before, I think this is a solid bowl team with Montez at QB and a potential conference champion with Sefo at QB. I also think that Montez will be one of the better QBs in the conference in 2017.

Back