What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sefo Liufau v Steven Montez

Starting QB when Sefo is back

• Total voters
KEvens #2 punt returner now.
Looks like Sefo is the man and do we assume Gordon is done?

CugUliYUIAA-uy1.jpg:large
Lots of injuries (italics) on this thing. Am I to understand that our whole Oline (excluding Irwin) may be out? I count 20 people who left the game with an injury last week. Can't be right......right?

Lots of injuries (italics) on this thing. Am I to understand that our whole Oline (excluding Irwin) may be out? I count 20 people who left the game with an injury last week. Can't be right......right?

There status is still in the air, not that they may be out. Probably limited in practice, or just came out during the game. We will be fine.

there were a lot of injuries in the game... i saw a ton of our guys come out for various lengths of time.

any word on sefo watch, the asu edition?

we need this one at home.

there were a lot of injuries in the game... i saw a ton of our guys come out for various lengths of time.

any word on sefo watch, the asu edition?

we need this one at home.

He didn't aggravate the ankle against USC. He practiced Monday and Tuesday. He was listed at the top of the depth chart as co-starter with Montez which is a shift from weeks prior. I am guessing that unless there is a set back this week with his ankle, that Sefo starts for us Saturday.

He didn't aggravate the ankle against USC. He practiced Monday and Tuesday. He was listed at the top of the depth chart as co-starter with Montez which is a shift from weeks prior. I am guessing that unless there is a set back this week with his ankle, that Sefo starts for us Saturday.

Had Montez not done so well the prior week I think Sefo, in warrior mode, would have started against SC. Don't see how he doesn't start this week.

Wonder though if we don't see Montez rotating in for spot duty or particular situations. Ideally we are up by 30 in the 3rd quarter and M2 tells Sefo that we know he is tough but it is time to sit down and rest the ankle the rest of the game.

Gonna need both Saturday, IMO.

I also think Steven is the better QB.

I want both available, but I hope we only need one.

Also I think Steven has the potential to be a better QB. He is playing comparably in a lot of ways to a senior QB as a RS-Freshman. That is a very good sign for his future. Think Sefo's experience and command of the team/offense gives him the advantage right now.

I want both available, but I hope we only need one.

Also I think Steven has the potential to be a better QB. He is playing comparably in a lot of ways to a senior QB as a RS-Freshman. That is a very good sign for his future. Think Sefo's experience and command of the team/offense gives him the advantage right now.

Not sure why but I still have 3 years of bad sefo on my brain. I hope good sefo shows up.

Not sure why but I still have 3 years of bad sefo on my brain. I hope good sefo shows up.
If he hadn't come out and looked like a draft worthy QB the first 3 games I would agree with you. He is playing like a different QB this year. Hope it keeps up.

Had Montez not done so well the prior week I think Sefo, in warrior mode, would have started against SC. Don't see how he doesn't start this week.

Wonder though if we don't see Montez rotating in for spot duty or particular situations. Ideally we are up by 30 in the 3rd quarter and M2 tells Sefo that we know he is tough but it is time to sit down and rest the ankle the rest of the game.
----
I like this scenario. (Most of us will.) Get big, early lead, rest Sefo and let Montez go to work to increase said lead.

sefo reads better and makes quicker decisions. he had the usc defense in reactive mode for the limited time he was in the game. montez held the ball too long and didn't see the field as well and that allowed the defense to dictate the flow to our offense. sefo looked faster, which surprised me, but montez generally didn't make the decision to run until he was already surrounded with nowhere to go.

montez before this game looked quicker to me so maybe it was just the pressure. but, because he couldn't get a quick enough read on what the defense was doing, we weren't able to go over the top and make them pay, which needed to happen to slow that defense down. montez has a really good arm and i think he has the potential to be a great qb for us.

i would, without any doubt whatsoever, start sefo if he is healthy. and maybe if he is only almost healthy. the offense responded when he came in.

Does "experience" include ability to read defenses, pick up the blitz, situational awareness? Sefo was completing around 70% of his throws. Steven is around 60%.

Intangibles/experience. Yes. I think sefo should start.

Sefo has been sort of snake bitten, IMO. Last year, he separated his shoulder during the CSU game. By the time we played USC, he was really playing well and we were on the verge of beating USC when he got injured. This year at the time he was hurt, I think he was the 7th rated QB in the country.

sefo reads better and makes quicker decisions. he had the usc defense in reactive mode for the limited time he was in the game. montez held the ball too long and didn't see the field as well and that allowed the defense to dictate the flow to our offense. sefo looked faster, which surprised me, but montez generally didn't make the decision to run until he was already surrounded with nowhere to go.

montez before this game looked quicker to me so maybe it was just the pressure. but, because he couldn't get a quick enough read on what the defense was doing, we weren't able to go over the top and make them pay, which needed to happen to slow that defense down. montez has a really good arm and i think he has the potential to be a great qb for us.

i would, without any doubt whatsoever, start sefo if he is healthy. and maybe if he is only almost healthy. the offense responded when he came in.

Agree with all of this.

Montez is still figuring things out, he has to focus on what he does and can't focus on being fully the leader of the team.

My sense is that the team has a lot of confidence in Sefo and he is looked to for leadership. Sefo lets his teammates be better.

Montez will get there with time but isn't at that point yet.

Does "experience" include ability to read defenses, pick up the blitz, situational awareness? Sefo was completing around 70% of his throws. Steven is around 60%.

Totally agree. Sefo makes quicker decision, reads the defense better, and throws a better ball - and he steps into his deep balls.

And I feel that the staff is less predictable with its play calling with Sefo under center. Not saying it is right, but I feel the Buffs are less vanilla with Sefo at the helm.

Did Sefo really do that well against SC? I may have to go back and look.
What I recall was that I wasn't too impressed with Sefo. I know he wasn't able to keep the drive alive and got sacked on a 3rd down play that forced us to punt (not being able to convert in critical situations is a Sefo weakness IMHO).

I do agree that he is much better than Montez at reading/reconizing the D and checking us into the best play.

What I recall was that I wasn't too impressed with Sefo. I know he wasn't able to keep the drive alive and got sacked on a 3rd down play that forced us to punt (not being able to convert in critical situations is a Sefo weakness IMHO).

I do agree that he is much better than Montez at reading/reconizing the D and checking us into the best play.

Looked to me like he wasn't moving very well. On the sideline when the cameras cut to him earlier in the game, there was a hitch in Sefo's giddyup when just walking. I'm sure his ankle has continued to improve, though. I'm also sure that if Sefo left a game and then missed 2 games+ that is was pretty bad.

and had a pass tipped

@Nik - agreed about Sefo's toughness. You could amputate his arm in the 1st quarter and he would be out there to start the 2nd quarter.

Whether people want to laugh at this or not, Sefo does get the team in the right play, most of the time. With Montez inexperience, I haven't seen that much from him. It will come with time, though.

Whether people want to laugh at this or not, Sefo does get the team in the right play, most of the time. With Montez inexperience, I haven't seen that much from him. It will come with time, though.
Sefo was killing the Michigan blitzes in the first half. It was fun to watch lindsay run to the opposite side of the formation as 2 guys came in unblocked on no one.

Back