What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sefo Liufau v Steven Montez

Starting QB when Sefo is back

• Total voters
We're gonna see both so...
That's what I would prefer the rest of the way unless one guy is playing perfect. To be clear, I want Sefo getting 80% or more of the snaps, but keeping Montez involved and learning ala Chase Daniels' frosh year back when Mizzou was chewing us up seems like a good thing to me.

Also, I can't really believe NFL HCMM is going to do it.

If both play, fine. I'd tread carefully with that though. Montezuma does throw off his back foot quite often. Is it something you can fix during the season? I doubt it, so wouldn't mess with it right now. Wouldn't hurt to hire a qb guy to work with him. That dude stepping into throws consistently, get the ice ready receivers, you will feel it.

My son insists that Montez throws off his back foot way too often and that will lead to picks. When I watch him, on his touch passes, he does kind of start his throw off his back foot and doesn't really follow through to his front foot much. Kind of all arm, I guess. But when he throws sideline routes or when he really needs to fire it over the middle, he steps through and just has a rocket. He made some throws last week that were frigging lasers.

He threw this one off his back foot for about 55 yards hitting Shay in stride. I'm fine with it if they keep ending up as TDs.

Jk changing prediction to Montez. There's your scoop
giphy.gif

I like some of these new posters showing up. It's no surprise that the best posters sign up at times when things look positive for the program, like back in early 2008 just after we played Bama close in the Independance Bowl.

Now we just need to not go sucking because 2009-2015 brought all sorts of terrible posters.

I like some of these new posters showing up. It's no surprise that the best posters sign up at times when things look positive for the program, like back in early 2008 just after we played Bama close in the Independance Bowl.

Now we just need to not go sucking because 2009-2015 brought all sorts of terrible posters.
I showed up about the time we hired John Embree.... Wait a minute?

I've been waiting on it honestly. It seems to happen every time we can start balling a bit.

They are very similar players. I'm not sure that Cam was any better than Montez is right now when Cam was 2 years removed from high school. The question is on how much upside Montez has. There's a huge gap between where he is now (which is good) and being one of the best 5 QBs on the planet.
(You can say the same thing about Newton this year)
As QBs, Sefo and Montez are almost twin brothers from different mothers. Having them both does not change any DC's preparation for CU's "O".
The real question is whether Sefo is truly 100%. Start Sefo at USC to determine that, because anything other than game conditions, is just opinion and speculation. Note that everyone involved, has never definitively described the sprain as a high sprain or regular one; but the fact Sefo didn't even put in a mop-up appearance vs. OSU indicates a typical slow-healing high sprain.

I've noticed that on occasion Montez is at the line, pre snap, and there is an obvious blitz being set up and he, for some reason, doesn't seem to pick it up. I think Sefo is much better at that. One thing I've noticed about Montez that he does better than Sefo did at the same stage is go through progressions. Montez seems to do a good job of checking off receivers.
Good points. But if Montez misses the intent, he has a bit more wiggle to avoid the blitzer.

Been thinking the same thing

I really wanted two healthy QBs going into this. I really wanted to Sefo to start.

Obviously we don't know the situation (or at least I don't). Hopefully the "setback" talk is not as significant as we fear.

My son insists that Montez throws off his back foot way too often and that will lead to picks. When I watch him, on his touch passes, he does kind of start his throw off his back foot and doesn't really follow through to his front foot much. Kind of all arm, I guess. But when he throws sideline routes or when he really needs to fire it over the middle, he steps through and just has a rocket. He made some throws last week that were frigging lasers.

100% agree, thankfully not a major issue to fix. Your son sounds smart. Best keep him away from this board.

Sucks but maybe rushed it a bit? That's the game though. Wait and see I guess. I don't want him going out there and getting all ****ed up. Sefo is the type that's gonna try to go but somebody needs to look at that situation.

Back