What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

September 24 - Colorado @ The Ohio State - GAME THREAD

When will we win a road game?

• Stanford

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Washington

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • Arizona st

• UCLA

Votes: 21 33.9%
  • Utah

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 20 32.3%

• 2014 +

• Never

Votes: 7 11.3%

• Total voters
Football is fun when it's played well. Right now the Buffs are far from playing well, and at home (including Denver) they've beaten a pathetic CSU team and blew a chance to beat a bad Cal team. It's my guess they Buffs will find a way put a winnable home game against WSU in the loss column, in their usual way: slow start offense, too many stupid penalties, and atrocious special teams.

My observations-

While we have some really nice players, (Rippy, PRich, and some others) we don't have anywhere close to enough talent to compete.

There are serious problems starting with the O line. I like Speedy, but you can only run the screen pass so many times before they blow it up. Our bad O line highlights Speedy's lack of size. 5'6" and 175 running up the middle with a bad line rarely results in positive yards. Speedy can't break tackles, and can't move the pile if there are no holes. Hansen's mechanics are terrible. I don't know if Hansen still worries about the spleen injury, but he looks nervous in the pocket, and really tentative when running. Whatever the reason they need to stop calling the roll out passes, because he can't throw for crap if he doesn't set his feet.

Special teams with the exception of the FG unit are an abortion.

I can't even complain about the D. They have played better this year than I expected. They were never put in the position for success yesterday.

I'm not making any excuses for Embree and the utter failings this team has with penalties, and lack of focus. I can forgive the occasional holding call if you simply get beat by a better player, but the inability to line up correctly, fielding a punt at the 4, fumbles, false starts, dropped balls and everything else needs to get pinned directly on the players and coaches.

The problem is our utter lack of depth eliminates the ability to bench many of the players that are messing up.

I think my biggest disappointment is the lack of senior leadership. I've been more impressed with some of the freshman & sophomore players than any of the seniors.

I can see I had my expectations set too high. They aren't ready yet. This is starting to look similar in some ways as it did when coach Mac first started out. I hate to think it is going to take three or four years to see a team that is a threat to win week in week out but it seems like this is going to be the case. No quick fixes here from the look of it.

I'm not down on Embree, the rest of the staff or the kids. They program just isn't ready to be a winner yet. Too many years of losing and the scandal before that. Those two things really have burnt this thing to the ground. I think Embree is starting all over at this point

I learned long ago not to drink the Koolaid. Sorry Bro. But I hoped you learned something. I expect 2 wins at most. Just because Embree arrived does not mean anything has really changed for me. If we had hired someone like Mike Shannahan, someone proven, I mighta ticked it up to 3 wins. Embree, I need not remind you, is learning how to be a head coach on our dime. And based on the penalty yardage Id say he has some chapters left to read.

I'm not blaming. I'm not making excuses. In fact I'm sick and tired of the excuses. Just go out and play good, hard, smart football, and ****ing win. This team plays like garbage. I don't care if it is Hawkins players or Barnett's players or McCartney's players or Neuheisel's players -- how hard is it to line up correctly? How hard is it to kick the ball down the middle of the field? How hard is it to know the snap? There is not a lot of talent on this team but absolutely horrific penalties and even worse special team play would doom even a GOOD team. I've seen middle school teams that looked better than this CU team has looked so far this year, knew how to line up, knew the snap count, didn't commit silly personal foul penalties, didn't commit stupid holding penalties, etc.

You can run around making excuses all day long about how there's no talent -- but that excuse is a self fulfilling prophecy and it only lasts for so long. Before too long, the players are all Embree's -- then what excuse will you have if they are committing a dozen penalties a game and playing absolutely horrific special teams?

We have had numerous poor recruiting classes under Hawkins. We are several recruiting cycles away from returning to the 90s. We are a few classes away from returning to the late 80s.

I would also point out that the rules have changed significantly between then and now. There are less walk ons now, less scholarships, far less practice hours, and vastly more difficult set of entrance requirements. Anyone, namely someone named Embree, will not have it as easy as Mac had it.

My advice would be to temper your hope unitl you see actual signs of on field results.

I have to admit I am starting to lose interest. Halfway through the 3rd quarter my wife wanted to go out and run some errands - I went with her. The status of CU football has dropped in my life. It use to be in my top 10 and now it is below running errands with my wife which is not in my top 100 of things to do on Saturday....

Pretty sad isn't it. Im numb after watching this crap for near a decade now.

I think November 23, 2001 (62-36) was the last day it was fun to be a Buffs fan. I really hope Embree can turn things around. If not, we're looking at a HUGE hole to dig out of to be competitive.

Beating Texas' ass in the B12 title that year was also quite nice. Though I will admit that knowing NU has never recovered from the that game was quite nice. That being said the Buffs state of affairs is downright despicable.

The only other bright spots in the last decade were signing that RB whose name I cant remember. Hawkins beating OU. And the day Hawkins was fired.

After that its a turd bowl party.

Back