1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

September 3 - Colorado @ Hawaii

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Sexton Hardcastle, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

Sorry. I know there's about twenty UH threads out there. :lol:

I don't think this is going to be a easy W like some think. Hawaii has a pretty exciting passing game, and everyone here knows how inexperienced our secondary is. Hopefully we can step up and leave Hawaii with a win.

[video=youtube;1YneUMxXc_E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YneUMxXc_E[/video]
    [video=youtube;IQB0eb83cT0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQB0eb83cT0[/video]
    [video=youtube;0pCZ5RkhJkY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pCZ5RkhJkY[/video]

LA TIMES:NCAA Football Preview - Hawaii Warriors
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/sns-tsn-afn-hawaii-outlook-20110825,0,3583904.story

2. Sexton Hardcastle

Hawaii's Bryant Moniz on the verge of being a household name by season's end

3. Sexton Hardcastle

Not related to the game, but still interesting imo.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap...0Q16sw?docId=e160935e172045a9a26d52a1c4c2cda4

4. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

Who thinks this is going to be an easy win? I haven't seen anyone saying that, and we're widely considered the underdogs

5. Sexton Hardcastle

There are some characters out there thinking were going to roll. I won't name any names. :smile2: Maybe they'll share their opinions on their own. :thumbsup:

6. Jerry

Jerry Well-Known Member

I am one of those who's binged on the kool-aid. I think we'll push them around like a WAC team they are.

7. Burrito Palazzo

Burrito Palazzo huff my smug Club Member

Always trust a Seabee.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  8. Sexton Hardcastle

They're some BA MFers!

9. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

I'd go to Japan to watch another CU-Hawaii game! :thumbsup:

10. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

I haven't seen many, if any, predicting an easy victory. The only people I've seen calling for a blowout are many of the Hawaii fans. It's as if they don't even realize the Buffs beat Hawaii by 18 last year. I've also seen some of them trashing Juda Parker which is pretty classless on their end. I'm expecting a close game, but I think our edge in the trenches gets us the victory in this one. This would be a different situation a month or two into the season, but it's not going to be easy for them replacing 8 starters on offense alone, including 4 on the OLine, receivers, and RB (you wouldn't know it from our game last year, but he was actually a decent back). Sure, it's said that Hawaii's receivers can step right in and put up video game numbers, but it's different facing Colorado than it is Louisiana Tech or Idaho. It's also worth mentioning that their special teams are awful. They have a solid punter, and a new kicker. However they were 115th in punt coverage, 111th in punt returns and 95th in kickoff returns. We should be able to win the field position battles and hopefully get some solid returns.

11. Sexton Hardcastle

Hawaii fans have always been a bit harsh on talent leaving the Island.

12. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

[video=youtube;RhF3TKMTCd0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhF3TKMTCd0[/video]

13. boydbuff

boydbuff Club Member Club Member

I predict a victory for CU, but I doubt it will be easy. We beat them last year with many of the same players we have this year, and a terrible coaching staff. Embree and company have this team playing more physical, believing in themselves and sharing in his desire to get the road monkey off their back. Hawaii lost lots of talent and we lost little plus gained a lot with our new coaching staff. I predict something like 31-21.

14. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

I wish we were playing their Air Raid offense later in the year. It would give our young corners more time to develop.

15. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

This game will come down to CU's DL vs UH's OL. If CU can stuff the run and generate a pass rush with the front four, the game is ours. If we need to blitz and leave the corners on an island, we're in for a long day.

16. MrFrumpylane

MrFrumpylane Well-Known Member

Didn't we change to a 3-4 defense?

17. Sexton Hardcastle

I feel Bryant Moniz will do some damage to our D regardless. What we need to do is sustain some drives and keep their offense off the field. The longer we can keep UH's defense on the field the better. They will give up points.

It would be nice to have the offense step up and take control of the game instead of relying on the D to bail us out. JMHO.

18. sackman

Yes, but the 4th LB will likely be playing on the line most of the time. They'll move him around to put him in a position to make a play.

I agree that Moniz will make some plays. That's what playmakers do. CU won't shut them out. The key will be whether CU can keep the damage to a minimum. If he throws 3 TD's and 2 INT's, it'll be considered a good day, especially if CU can keep from turning the ball over on offense.

19. Sexton Hardcastle

If he throws three TD's then he's probably going to run for a couple more imo. I don't think CU is in the position to win shootouts. Especially if Hansen gets rattled in the pocket. He will become a TO machine. I'm sure Hawaii will throw everything at him.

If I'm UH's DC, I throw everyone to stop the run and create as much pressure as I can for Hansen. I think they probably don't think much of Hansen's ability to beat them through the air.

20. sackman

If he runs for a couple more, then CU's DL has not done it's job, and we're toast. QED. It all comes down to the DL. On paper, we have an advantage here. We're deep and talented along the DL. UH is starting four new OL.

Sexton Hardcastle likes this.
  21. Burrito Palazzo

Burrito Palazzo huff my smug Club Member

I know their new guys are all over 300lbs, but I wonder how quick their feet are? I expect results off the edge.

22. Sexton Hardcastle

Moniz is athletic enough to get his numbers on just about anyone. I don't think it's fair to place all the burden on the DL. This will be a crazy game. You can only hope to contain him, we won't stop him.

23. Sexton Hardcastle

:nod: The DL will have their hands full on Saturday.

24. sackman

Which is pretty much what I said. He's going to make his plays, but if he gets 3 TDs, while throwing 2 picks and getting sacked 4-5 times, then the damage is minimized. I feel confident our offense can score at least 24 points on UH. If we're not getting pressure on him, and he's chucking the ball all over the yard, we're in big trouble. That's been my point all along. We can overcome a lot of mistakes in this game, but poor DL play won't be one of them. We absolutely need to keep their running game in check and generate a pass rush with the front four. Do that, and we win.

25. Sexton Hardcastle

Moniz had three TD passes, was sacked four times, and still managed to get the W vs a very respectable Nevada squad in Hawaii last season. This guy does nothing but make plays under pressure. Rattling him with our pass rush isn't really the answer imo.

He thrives under pressure. So I disagree with your opinion that "keep their running game in check and generate a pass rush with the front four. Do that, and we win." Their running game isn't what scares me. It's their passing game.

26. Sexton Hardcastle

Looking at some highlights of Hawaii from 2010. Their OL looks really bad. It seems that just about every team manages to put Moniz under pressure. The kid still makes plays.

I doubt Greg Brown and staff will have an issue forcing Moniz out of the pocket with the pass rush. It's what he does after that is what scares me. Our secondary is a much bigger concern heading into this game than the DL.

I expect a ton of screen passes, and designed QB sneaks/draw plays off the edge like BP mentioned above. I doubt they'll try to ram it down our throats. That has never been their style. Don't forget about them launching the ball fifty yards down field every other play. :lol:

I'm no coach or expert. JMO here. :thumbsup:

27. rodrigo

rodrigo Well-Known Member

That was last year. If anything Hawaii's D can be given credit for that one.

28. Sexton Hardcastle

Good point. I haven't really taken a look at Hawaii's D. They're going to be a bit tougher playing on their home field.

29. greentea

greentea New Member

Howdy!

Long time warrior fan here. But love Colorado much, bought some property in Alamosa area awhile back. Anyhow, warriors are competitive this year with major improvements from last year and some achilles
    Heel in some areas; the biggest one I know is no offensive timing, warriors are done. Many teams fall victim to constant barrages of Moniz's passes last year. Sack him, distrupt his timing your in like flint. If not,
    It'll be a gloomy ride back to the mainland.

Sexton Hardcastle likes this.
  30. Sexton Hardcastle

[video=youtube;aS-izZ1RHlU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS-izZ1RHlU[/video]