What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Spring Football News

I think Moeller could thrive this year in JLs defense. Has the speed to play DB and the toughness to support like a small LB. Smart and hard working never hurts when you have talent to back it up.

I don't hold out a lot of hope for Gillam to be a full-time contributor. Anything we get from him would be a bonus. Don't know if they would consider doing it but I'd like to see them use him some on the outside, give him more space to work in.

Have zero confidence that Adkins can stay healthy to contribute. Don't think in the fall it will matter with the addition of the freshman along with Lindsay and Carr. If Adkins wants to play in the future he may want to consider moving on to another program.

Would be interesting if Halverson won the kicking job. I don't know how Neinas managed to stay past the first year but yes S2S is right, the guy did damage to this program. We cannot afford to have a bunch of kicker on scholarship and a WO doing the kicking. Need to move a couple guys out of the program.

I think Moeller could thrive this year in JLs defense. Has the speed to play DB and the toughness to support like a small LB. Smart and hard working never hurts when you have talent to back it up.

I don't hold out a lot of hope for Gillam to be a full-time contributor. Anything we get from him would be a bonus. Don't know if they would consider doing it but I'd like to see them use him some on the outside, give him more space to work in.

Have zero confidence that Adkins can stay healthy to contribute. Don't think in the fall it will matter with the addition of the freshman along with Lindsay and Carr. If Adkins wants to play in the future he may want to consider moving on to another program.

Would be interesting if Halverson won the kicking job. I don't know how Neinas managed to stay past the first year but yes S2S is right, the guy did damage to this program. We cannot afford to have a bunch of kicker on scholarship and a WO doing the kicking. Need to move a couple guys out of the program.

your attempt to get this thread back on track = epic fail.

Seems like some are writing off Adkins really early. Still think he's our most complete RB and has some power and speed. Yes, he had a run of injuries, but that's not unusual in itself for the position. We were so thin last year we had to move Donovan Lee to RB and now people are saying we are over-loaded.

I just never heard the stories of Adkins being soft or faking injuries. If he was, HCMM would have tossed him aside and he's not. Adkins is a smart kid. I could easily see being our #1 back this year and having a great season with no injury issues.

Seems like some are writing off Adkins really early. Still think he's our most complete RB and has some power and speed. Yes, he had a run of injuries, but that's not unusual in itself for the position. We were so thin last year we had to move Donovan Lee to RB and now people are saying we are over-loaded.

I just never heard the stories of Adkins being soft or faking injuries. If he was, HCMM would have tossed him aside and he's not. Adkins is a smart kid. I could easily see being our #1 back this year and having a great season with no injury issues.
To the bolded... The reason people are saying we are over-loaded is because we have one RB coming off RS that seems to figure into seeing some PT (Dino), and then we signed Bisharat who doesn't figure to be a RS candidate. That's 5 guys that should see the field as a RB, not including Lee. Not going to work.

As far as his injuries, "tweaked" hamstrings and rolled/sprained ankles are commonplace. At this level, RBs need to be able to play through some of that stuff.

To the bolded... The reason people are saying we are over-loaded is because we have one RB coming off RS that seems to figure into seeing some PT (Dino), and then we signed Bisharat who doesn't figure to be a RS candidate. That's 5 guys that should see the field as a RB, not including Lee. Not going to work.

As far as his injuries, "tweaked" hamstrings and rolled/sprained ankles are commonplace. At this level, RBs need to be able to play through some of that stuff.
Come on Schekler - I've been around the game and coaching as much as you. Sometimes, Hamstring and/or Ankle injuries can be a lot worse than others. Some come around quickly, other's do not. Sometimes, kids let small things keep them off the field. That's Sports facts.

So either you are saying he's a puss or you don't really know the true extent of what he went thru. I'm in the latter camp.

Regarding the RBs....I'm ok with using two running backs consistently, especially if they have different styles (ie power or quickness). But a continual rotation of three or four backs seems problematic to me.
Keep them healthy, pick two and go! Allows to use hot hand as well as different need at different down/distance/yardage.

It looked to me like Bisharat often lined up in the backfield with another back. I wouldn't mind seeing Bish and Carr in the same backfield from time to time. That gives the defense a lot to think about. Particularly if you have Winfree and Fields split out.

Come on Schekler - I've been around the game and coaching as much as you. Sometimes, Hamstring and/or Ankle injuries can be a lot worse than others. Some come around quickly, other's do not. Sometimes, kids let small things keep them off the field. That's Sports facts.

So either you are saying he's a puss or you don't really know the true extent of what he went thru. I'm in the latter camp.

The narrative from the injury "experts" on a kid that has obvious talent, but is being regulated as a throw away roster spot is laughable. No one knows what this kid was or wasn't going through....I am rooting for him to come back and play to his potential this year. People that don't support that position will never make sense to me.....and I'm glad they're not coaches.

The narrative from the injury "experts" on a kid that has obvious talent, but is being regulated as a throw away roster spot is laughable. No one knows what this kid was or wasn't going through....I am rooting for him to come back and play to his potential this year. People that don't support that position will never make sense to me.....and I'm glad they're not coaches.

Nobody is saying to throw him away. History has value though and history says that he doesn't stay on the field. May be fine to use him as a compliment but until he can prove that he can be relied upon it isn't a great idea to rely on him.

I don't know if it is because he is particularly injury prone, which some guys are, or simply won't play through things that other backs do but his time on the sidelines so far in his career means that until he proves otherwise he isn't going to be that guy you count on.

You're right, there are definitely varying degrees of sprains and pulls, etc. He may be a tough kid that simply couldn't be effective with the injuries he sustained last year, but that doesn't change the fact that part of being a great player is being able to stay on the field. Being injury-prone is just as relevant when judging a player, as size, speed, strength, vision, pass pro, etc.

What I do not really get about the Adkins hype is it amounts to about 5-6 good games (including Charleston Southern) over three years.
My impression is that he might have had 5-6 overall statistically good games. But it's hard to have more than that when you're working in a 4 back rotation. When he was in, he was more impressive then the rest IMO

If we are judging them purely by a small sample size, Lee is the best of the group.

Seeing 4 backs with 7 to 8 carries doesn't excite me. I'd like to see a two back rotation with one guy getting 20 carries.

Our rb's gain more yds running on and off the field then they do in the game.

My impression is that he might have had 5-6 overall statistically good games. But it's hard to have more than that when you're working in a 4 back rotation. When he was in, he was more impressive then the rest IMO

I guess. He was not really in the rotation most of 2014.

Our rb's gain more yds running on and off the field then they do in the game.

Every rb does. 26 yards into the huddle, 26 yards from the huddle to the sideline. Figure even a guy like Adrian Peterson, who runs for a lot of yards, puts in 300+ yards a game just running on and off the field.

He missed 14 and then most of 15.
Hence the reason some people wouldn't mind seeing him move on.

It's similar to Addison Gillam. The kid has shown that he is an absolute stud at LB when 100% healthy, but he hasn't been healthy in 2 years. Most people around here are not counting on him in 2016, even though all accounts right now are that he looks great.

most impressive back has been Lindsay. Last year I believe he was more efficient than Adkins, and that was after he had to play banged up and against better competition. And with a worse OL.

most impressive back has been Lindsay. Last year I believe he was more efficient than Adkins, and that was after he had to play banged up and against better competition. And with a worse OL.
Lindsay runs that hardest....but I disagree he has been the best. He was the best last year because Adkins was hurt most of the year.....and yes, I get the argument that you have to play to be counted, etc...

Lindsay is a true Buff, and I love his spirit. I think he lacks the vision that a good back must have a lot of the time though.....he runs right into the line without making an easy cut all too often. Hopefully he can improve on that....nothing would make me more happy for any one of these backs (but especially Lindsay) to take the reins and rule as a clear #1 back.

Ask Phil Lindsay if he had any aches and pains during the course of last year.

Some people can play through it, some can't. Not anything personal against Michael, seems like a good kid, but you have to know the potential in the "play through it" category as well. Not just the 40 times etc...

I don't mind rotating running backs I just don't like doing it by series. Put your number one back out there (Adkins, Bisharat, Carr, Dino) and then let Lindsay be your third down back. If a back needs a breather then put in your number two back. They make it way harder than it needs to be.

I have always felt that Adkins is a good athlete but not so much of a good running back. He seems to lack some of the instincts of a really good runner. RB is an area where CU needs a real upgrade. Lindsay is probably our best back and he is pretty average. Carr has nice speed but he is small and like a lot of speedsters tries to keep running wide when he should cut up field.

Lindsay runs that hardest....but I disagree he has been the best. He was the best last year because Adkins was hurt most of the year.....and yes, I get the argument that you have to play to be counted, etc...

Lindsay is a true Buff, and I love his spirit. I think he lacks the vision that a good back must have a lot of the time though.....he runs right into the line without making an easy cut all too often. Hopefully he can improve on that....nothing would make me more happy for any one of these backs (but especially Lindsay) to take the reins and rule as a clear #1 back.
That's a fine opinion. I disagree with your analysis and think the numbers don't back you up. (and yup, just checked... Lindsay was our best back - Or Lee.)
http://www.footballstudyhall.com/pages/2015-colorado-advanced-statistical-profile

Last edited:
I have always felt that Adkins is a good athlete but not so much of a good running back. He seems to lack some of the instincts of a really good runner. RB is an area where CU needs a real upgrade. Lindsay is probably our best back and he is pretty average. Carr has nice speed but he is small and like a lot of speedsters tries to keep running wide when he should cut up field.

Agree with the bold. I think that is a commonality for young backs just out of HS....you can't run around guys in college like you could in HS.

I have played against some really good backs that you had to game plan around because they were scary in the sense that they could break open a game. No one we have has yet represented to be that way, but I think Carr definitely has the most potential to be that "scary" back with a bit more maturity. I am excited to see if he can take that step this year.

Last edited:
Back