What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

That was a "WTF" game

the coaches have had praise all year, time for criticism. They did not have the team close to being mentally prepared. everyone was aware of the possibility of them having swelled egos and thinking they'd walk all over ucla. the fact they couldn't get rid of the 'chippiness' at 1/2 time says something too.
also, how is it there were almost no adjustments on offense, nothing they could find to work ?

It was a wake up call for the boys.
Very rusty after a bye week, and they did not have contorl until much later in this game.

They needed a game like this so they can see the difference and get their act together before WSU and Utah come to town.

What was wrong with Sefo? He looked off all night....was he nervous because of hte pro scouts? When they put in Montez and
he threw that bullet, I looked at my son and said, "dang, they need to keep him in. He's ready to go."

Sefo played much better after the injury (which looked helmet to helmet if you ask me) but he was not the Sefo we've seen this year.

They beat a team that many preseason thought would be a play off team. Every kid on UCLA was a highly rated recruit and thinks they are better than CU.
4 turn overs and we still beat them by 10. Lots for coaches to correct and a long week to do it.

We held a team with alot of talented guys to a season low score.
They covered our WR like a blanket. UCLA is a good team whose record is reflection of other issues. That was a tight game. If not for the penalties some scores might not have happened.

This game was all about both defenses.

Kind of an ugly look in front of a national audience.

CU's "character" was on display with abundant personal fouls. Carroll and Moeller penalties uncovered a lack of discipline. MacIntyre was called out by the announcers for his emotional rollercoaster that included yelling at refs and chewing out players.

It's hard to count how many times the TV audience heard the crowd screaming "Bull Sh!t" after each flag and f*** 'em up, f*** 'em up" Go CU. The marshmallows and ice thrown on the field delayed the game and conjured memories of unruly CU fans of yore.

I'm not sure CU won over many people who were watching the Buffs for the first time. It wouldn't surprise me if the next three opponents would consider the team both "overrated" and "dirty" based on last night's performance. There is no question that the character of CU's fans will be discussed by our neighbors to the NE.

For those of us with access to the P12, we have not seen the Buffs play that ugly in prior games. This game had a different feel.

Yes, we got the "W" and that's all that matters to Buffs fans. Yes, 7-2 and in control of the P12 South is something few of us were expecting back in August. This is a magical season.

But for those rediscovering the Buffs for the first time in a decade, few are going to come away with the impression the Buffs are a legit top 20 team that deserves to contend for the P12 title.

Lots to clean up over the remainder of the season. Sure hope the next three look a lot more like the Oregon State and Arizona State blow outs. Swagger is more fun with a potent balanced team effort that isn't constantly shooting itself in the foot.

Yes, it didn't look good, but the penalties were an aberration. I have to conclude that UCLA trash talking took CU out of their usual game. Responding to things like that is learned, and nobody's been trash talking CU much for 10 years.

I will say this: based on the coaches quotes after the game, it's clear that Mac was embarrassed but that Mora wasn't. That's why Mora's teams under perform.

Mac: “We found a way to win and you’re going to have a game like that every once in a while, but not with the selfish penalties that we had and we’ll fix that.”

Mora: “I thought that Mike [MacIntyre] and myself brought our teams together and said, 'Let’s just play football.’ They’re emotional young men, and this is an emotional game. They’re fighting hard to try to win, and sometimes that happens."

In football, it doesn't matter how talented your players are if they can't play as a team. You can bet Mac is hammering kids today, pointing out how selfish some of those penalties were. Mora? Not so much.

As for the fans, did you think we were kidding when we said "here come the assholes?"

A) Liufau looks a lot better when he has more than 1.93 seconds to throw the football and not end up on his ass every play.
2) I do wish the fans would be a little more cool until winning becomes a regular yearly thing. When you get cocky and fans get this assholish this quick, teams mark you and put more effort into smacking you back down.
D) I would argue the first 2 personal fouls were BS. But after that, I couldn't even see where the Buffs thought it would be a good idea - kicking a player on the ground (USC??), taunting after a beautiful hit...etc

It's pretty safe to assume that trash talk happens in every game. Responding to it is what gets you in trouble. Things started getting out of hand with all those little things that happened after the whistle. The kicks, pushes, late hits.

That was a fun game.

In my three years as a Buff fan, my second favorite game moment to date was Awuzie's block of the FG in the 2nd. That to me was the emotional spike the team needed at the end of the first half after all those turnovers.

My most disappointing moment to date as a Buff fan was the complete lack of response and energy from the fans last night during Enter the Sandman. The hell people, there was a sick, drunk, old man in the stands last night bouncing more than you 20-somethings.

My very proudest moment as a Buff fan was Oliver's return. As that ball was coming toward him and i started looking at the open field in front of him to the left, I got excited. Started jumping and screaming. When he broke the second arm tackle and there was green the rest of the way, I was in ecstasy.

Fvck yeah, The Rise is real! Go Buffs!!!!

The biggest penalty that pissed me off was Moeller trash talking over the top of the guy after he hit him....go back to the dam huddle, you made a play good job, nothing more necessary. If I was Mac I would ripped the guys helmet off and punched him in the face for that one and lost my job....which is why i'm not a coach. Just a dumb dumb penalty. The one penalty that hurt the most was 2nd and goal at the 1 and bobo pushes the guy....granted the guy sold it he flopped but what are you doing, let them take the penalty for grabbing sefo on the bottom of the pile and make it first and goal at the 1. You put that in the end zone and you could have put it out of reach at that point with momentum on your side. Just don't get those things but I understand emotion gets the better of you sometimes on the football field.

WOW. That was an ugly game to watch. Kind of embarrassing. Finally get on national television, and that is our new image? Thank goodness it was buried on an obscure channel late at night and missed by many. a win is a win and in 2 weeks it won't seem as embarrassing?
we have to start converting in the red-zone.. To many times down there and no points to show. The reffing I can't really complain about. Maybe one or two calls? but most were deserved. Gilbert being ejected is a close call (I can see it both ways). Kicking kids on the ground, WTF is that about? Thank goodness Oliver ran that punt back, how long has it been since we seen that? Our D is really legit!! The offense seems to have lost their ability, can't put my finger on it? Play calling was meh..I thought we would have ran the ball more? and for 300 yards.. ucla was in our backfield way to much (Mckinley lived back there).
These guys need to get their **** together and refocus, or they will not be in the championship game. Can not play like that again. as far as the fans - It was fun, it was loud, not cool throwing crap on the field.

The biggest penalty that pissed me off was Moeller trash talking over the top of the guy after he hit him....go back to the dam huddle, you made a play good job, nothing more necessary. If I was Mac I would ripped the guys helmet off and punched him in the face for that one and lost my job....which is why i'm not a coach. Just a dumb dumb penalty. The one penalty that hurt the most was 2nd and goal at the 1 and bobo pushes the guy....granted the guy sold it he flopped but what are you doing, let them take the penalty for grabbing sefo on the bottom of the pile and make it first and goal at the 1. You put that in the end zone and you could have put it out of reach at that point with momentum on your side. Just don't get those things but I understand emotion gets the better of you sometimes on the football field.
Looking back years from now, I'll always remember that flop as the precise moment my hatred for UCLA started to grow.

It's always hard to criticize play calling but this was the first time in a while I had so many wtf moments. Sefo hasn't been accurate for two games now and missed a ton of throws but the coaches are begging for him to get hurt again. Why in gods name did we run him out of an empty backfield while trying to milk clock with 3 minutes left?
You know I don't often criticize playcalling, but the opening series may have been the worst game plan I've seen. There were some nice moments throughout, but far too often Lindgren would get 8 yards with Lindsay and then go to the air with Sefo and watch him scramble for his life or throw incomplete.

I felt like they could have run on that team had they made a more concerted effort. And I'm fine with QB draw on short yardage and every now and then on 1st and 10, but he had like 26 carries last night, and 20 of them had to have been designed runs.

I don't think all trash talk is the same. Anyone remember that time in basketball a few years ago when Oregon State got in our heads? Our team had a completely ugly game and it looked like there were several moments where a fight would break out. It's my favorite Dinwiddie game because he played poorly and still had like 7 assists and delivered when it mattered for the W.

UCLA had nothing to lose, that can be dangerous in any sport. Not to say our guys responded the way they should have, but I think UCLA went above and beyond based on how much shenanigans was going on.

You know I don't often criticize playcalling, but the opening series may have been the worst game plan I've seen. There were some nice moments throughout, but far too often Lindgren would get 8 yards with Lindsay and then go to the air with Sefo and watch him scramble for his life or throw incomplete.

I felt like they could have run on that team had they made a more concerted effort. And I'm fine with QB draw on short yardage and every now and then on 1st and 10, but he had like 26 carries last night, and 20 of them had to have been designed runs.
It seemed to take the staff forever to grasp the concept that a 5 or 7 seven step drop pass with a single guy on Takkarist wasn't going to work.

It seemed to take the staff forever to grasp the concept that a 5 or 7 seven step drop pass with a single guy on Takkarist wasn't going to work.
Yeah, not to mention too many one on one situations with TE Irwin on one of their sweet DEs getting owned and costing us in short yardage. Worst game of the year for Lindgren and Chev, IMO.

Yep had to get the ball out quicker. Other thing that bothered me is we never went up tempo the way we usually do, it was fast to the line of scrimmage but then stood and looked over to the sideline for the play and let the defense set up. We play best when it's back to the line and snap it soon as the ref gives the ready for play. I don't get why we slow down, watch all the games where the offense was in sync and it's when we run the play, back to the line, run the play.

I listened to the radio broadcast on my way home from work. First off, MJ and GB are fantastic. I miss Zim but GB is a really good analyst. They called the first half like they wanted to puke out of the press box. GB's insights on the o-line were interesting. Repeatedly calling out our tackles for looking lost on the field. #98 is can ball and that front 7 exposed our o-line the same as Stanford in pass protection. Best call was the punt return for a TD. Oliver gets past the first wave and during MJ's play-by-play GB yells "He's got it!" While Oliver was crossing the 50.

It's no coincidence that our worst offensive games of the season have come against USC, Stanford and UCLA. The 3 teams that are probably the most physically imposing along the DL. Makes me a little nervous for the Utah game, tbh. It's also pretty clear why OL has been such a huge priority in this recruiting cycle.

There is no question that the character of CU's fans will be discussed by our neighbors to the NE.

I am 100 percent certain I don't care what those self proclaimed goody goodys think. These are the brainchildren of "Sal is dead, Go big red." They lost forever the right to morally police anyone else. And they ensured I would hate them for centuries.

**** the nubs.

Aside from Oregon, Stanford and USC, how many of the other programs who have out recruited us for the last 5 years have been ranked in the top 15 and found ways to win even the ugly games?

Yeah it was ugly but our defense was never worried and played with swagger. We have one of the best defenses in the PAC for the last 10 years.

I don't think all trash talk is the same. Anyone remember that time in basketball a few years ago when Oregon State got in our heads? Our team had a completely ugly game and it looked like there were several moments where a fight would break out. It's my favorite Dinwiddie game because he played poorly and still had like 7 assists and delivered when it mattered for the W.

UCLA had nothing to lose, that can be dangerous in any sport. Not to say our guys responded the way they should have, but I think UCLA went above and beyond based on how much shenanigans was going on.
Agree. Don't know if you got a chance to listen to the post game but Barnett said something to the same effect. Said he was on the field pre-game and UCLA never quit "chirping", he said he knew it was going to get nasty based on that. Again, CU's fault, it's all in how you respond, but we sank to their level. And their level is dog ****.

It's hard to count how many times the TV audience heard the crowd screaming "Bull Sh!t" after each flag and f*** 'em up, f*** 'em up" Go CU. The marshmallows and ice thrown on the field delayed the game and conjured memories of unruly CU fans of yore.

I'm not sure CU won over many people who were watching the Buffs for the first time. It wouldn't surprise me if the next three opponents would consider the team both "overrated" and "dirty" based on last night's performance. There is no question that the character of CU's fans will be discussed by our neighbors to the NE.

Why are you saying all this like it's a bad thing? We have a ****ing reputation to uphold, and it's been too long since the rest of college football has seen it. **** 'em all.

There's no excuse for the blatant crap that Moeller pulled last night but It makes me understand it a little more after hearing about UCLA not shutting up and chirping the whole night. It had to be so gratifying for them to make a play and shove it in their face.

I know I'm living in a fantasy world to think this should translate to the higher levels, but we always tell our kids that the scoreboard is the best trash talker in football. Just wish our guys would have let that do the talking and let UCLA embarrass themselves with the penalties.

I drove into work listening to the Utah station where they proclaimed Colorado not a very good team with lack of discipline and poor talent. "Utah is better at every position" was the statement from a local high school coach who runs college summer camps.
It will be interesting to see how Mac gets them to respond next week.

Back