What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

That was a "WTF" game

Gilbert's penalty was the correct call. If he keeps his head up, no penalty, but because he went down at the angle with the crown of the helmet he drew the flag. Bobo's was a case of getting the second guy and not the instigator. Normal game probably doesn't get called, but by that time the refs were absolutely clamping down on any questionable activity. Falo's roughing call also probably wouldn't have been called in a normal game. It seems maybe the officials heard some garbage talk pregame and took it upon themselves to set a tone early on and we made it very easy for them to do so. Just glad that being -3 in the turnover game with all those sloppy penalties didn't cost us the W.

Gilbert's penalty was the correct call. If he keeps his head up, no penalty, but because he went down at the angle with the crown of the helmet he drew the flag. Bobo's was a case of getting the second guy and not the instigator. Normal game probably doesn't get called, but by that time the refs were absolutely clamping down on any questionable activity. Falo's roughing call also probably wouldn't have been called in a normal game. It seems maybe the officials heard some garbage talk pregame and took it upon themselves to set a tone early on and we made it very easy for them to do so. Just glad that being -3 in the turnover game with all those sloppy penalties didn't cost us the W.
Gilbert's was the correct call, Bobo's was weak, Falo's was very weak, Moeller's was the correct call. Officials definitely weren't putting up with anything.

Maybe it's just me but I liked that our players were pissed off. They have a right to be. Yes they need to be smarter about it but have we forgotten the teams we had who BACKED DOWN to adversity and quit?!

Our boys want to knock people out and thats the Buff mentality I've been waiting for! Chev and Leavitt have been a god send for instilling a lot of that!

**** EM UP **** EM UP!!!

I blame Brady Quinn.
I felt he was pretty obvious with a bias toward UCLA last night. Apologizing for everything they did, while ripping CU for being stupid or playing poorly at every chance. He was on the Fam morning show yesterday and had the same attitude. Said that CU hadn't done enough this year to prove they were worthy of being a P12 favorite and that CU still needed to "show him".

I felt he was pretty obvious with a bias toward UCLA last night. Apologizing for everything they did, while ripping CU for being stupid or playing poorly at every chance. He was on the Fam morning show yesterday and had the same attitude. Said that CU hadn't done enough this year to prove they were worthy of being a P12 favorite and that CU still needed to "show him".
Moron, so many of these mediocre yakkers try to be outspoken and "tell it like it is!". He sucked as a QB and sucks more behind the mic.

You know I don't often criticize playcalling, but the opening series may have been the worst game plan I've seen. There were some nice moments throughout, but far too often Lindgren would get 8 yards with Lindsay and then go to the air with Sefo and watch him scramble for his life or throw incomplete.

I felt like they could have run on that team had they made a more concerted effort. And I'm fine with QB draw on short yardage and every now and then on 1st and 10, but he had like 26 carries last night, and 20 of them had to have been designed runs.
I agree; I also thought they went away from the vertical passing game with which they've had a lot of success this year. Often they would line up with three WRs on the wide side of the field and UCLA put a CB, Nickle, and a Safety on them with no over the top help, and CU never tried to take advantage of it. Way, way, way too many designed QB runs. Frustrating.

its Brady Quinn, does it really matter?

Why are you saying all this like it's a bad thing? We have a ****ing reputation to uphold, and it's been too long since the rest of college football has seen it. **** 'em all.

God Damn Right

When the Buffs win a game via special teams, it's a weird night. Mac is going to do something fierce to the team this morning and get them mentally straight. UCLA got them out of their game, Zona game will be a test only if the Buffs don't get back to their Oregon/OSU/ASU level of execution. Part of me wonders whether other teams are starting to figure out our offense; was impossible to tell last night because of the poor execution.

I drove into work listening to the Utah station where they proclaimed Colorado not a very good team with lack of discipline and poor talent. "Utah is better at every position" was the statement from a local high school coach who runs college summer camps.
It will be interesting to see how Mac gets them to respond next week.

With CU ranked #20, lots of teams are paying attention to the Buffs. Not just Utah (Arizona, WSU). Fans, coaches and writers that influence the polls, recruits and bowl bids have last night's game on tape for review.

I agree with @ladyblaise that the opinion of Nubs fans don't matter.
I also am sympathetic with @96Buff and acknowledge "here come the assholes" is a reputation that wasn't earned accident, and arguably is worthy of upholding.

Those points notwithstanding, it does matter to me to see CU give messageboard fodder to people who influence potential recruits in CA and TX. Is CU going to embrace our reigning 2016 Fulmer Cup title, and be the bad boys of the PAC 12, or does Colorado Football mean something else?

The character of the coach is echoed through the players and the fans. Does anyone think MacIntyre is okay with selfish outbursts by players or projectile throwing fans?

C'mon. Let's save the asshole behavior until after the team has actually beaten a ranked team and delivered a decisive bowl victory.

That's pretty funny about Utah fans saying we aren't good. They struggled to beat this exact ucla team and almost lost to Oregon state in an ugly game. It is just me or are their fans becoming really ****ing annoying on twitter now that we are good?

With CU ranked #20, lots of teams are paying attention to the Buffs. Not just Utah (Arizona, WSU). Fans, coaches and writers that influence the polls, recruits and bowl bids have last night's game on tape for review.

I also am sympathetic with @96Buff and acknowledge "here come the assholes" is a reputation that wasn't earned accident, and arguably is worthy of upholding.

Those points notwithstanding, it does matter to me to see CU give messageboard fodder to people who influence potential recruits in CA and TX. Is CU going to embrace our reigning 2016 Fulmer Cup title, and be the bad boys of the PAC 12, or does Colorado Football mean something else?

The character of the coach is echoed through the players and the fans. Does anyone think MacIntyre is okay with selfish outbursts by players or projectile throwing fans?

C'mon. Let's save the asshole behavior until after the team has actually beaten a ranked team and delivered a decisive bowl victory.

We are ranked #15, not #20.

And who gives a ****? Honestly, you've been quite high and mighty about this game. It's stupid, relax and enjoy the win. We aren't going to lose recruits because we had a sloppy and chippy game. As for the fans, no one actually cares.

On the crowd and how the fans "looked" to a national audience:
1. The marshmallows didn't "look bad on national TV." The next person to get hurt because someone threw a marshmallow at them will be the first. The announcers laughed about it, and that's the right attitude - they're marshmallows. Marshmallows.

2. Unless you actually know that the line is "**** em up, **** em up, go CU," you can't tell what the crowd is yelling when it's on the broadcast. You really can't. Watch a game with someone who doesn't know, point out the cheer, and ask them what the words are. They'll have no ****ing clue.

3. The crowd looked great on TV.

4. The Icelandic chant sounded absolutely amazing, especially in surround sound.

As for the players, I'm not going to excuse some of the **** they pulled, but:

1. Some of it is in fact on the refs: in a lot of those plays, there really should have been two calls; only calling one team in those was bull****. I almost think the league has told the refs not to call matching penalties on plays like that (has a P12 crew done it once this year, called offsetting unsportsmanlike penalties? - it's almost like they're not allowed to, which would also explain why they talk to each other so much before making the call). Anyway, when at least one player (it doesn't matter which team ) is getting a pass on ****ty behavior over and over again, things are going to get ugly. If there had been some offsetting penalties, it actually would have calmed things down a bit.

2. As noted elsewhere, it's obvious that our team hates fUCLA. The players didn't want to just beat them, they wanted to rip their guts out and stomp on their entrails. And so they tried too hard which both caused them to make some mistakes (I chalk up at least one int and two fumbles to this), and it also led to the undisciplined penalties as well. They need to learn to channel and control the hate, let it flow through them.

We are ranked #15, not #20.

And who gives a ****? Honestly, you've been quite high and mighty about this game. It's stupid, relax and enjoy the win. We aren't going to lose recruits because we had a sloppy and chippy game. As for the fans, no one actually cares.
Actually it may even entice some recruits. Players like to be part of a badass team that has swagger.

I think your making way too much of the impact of fans and penalties in one game. I for one love the swagger and not being the choirboys of the PAC. I don't recall Miami giving a **** during their glory years.

Actually it may even entice some recruits. Players like to be part of a badass team that has swagger.
It's clear HCMM won't have any of that kind of team persona. While a team needs an edge, what was on display last night isn't a winning formula.

... Thank goodness Oliver ran that punt back, how long has it been since we seen that? ...

I believe the announcers said that the last time CU ran a punt back for a touchdown, it was 2005. (CU's last winning season, btw.)
And unless we had a play I've forgotten, the last score on a kickoff return was when Nelson Spruce returned an onside kick for a score against Cal on Nov. 16, 2013. So yeah, special teams. Let's do this.

That's pretty funny about Utah fans saying we aren't good. They struggled to beat this exact ucla team and almost lost to Oregon state in an ugly game. It is just me or are their fans becoming really ****ing annoying on twitter now that we are good?

Beat UCLA by the widest margin all year. Our defense shut down an offense that put up over 40pts on the utes. They can go **** off

Ugly games happen, we can't be worried about what everyone's fans say. UW went to OT with a subpar Arizona team. Florida barely beat Vandy in an ugly game earlier this year and lost to the only team with a pulse they've played so far. Nebraska seems like they're about to lose to a B10 bottom feeder every other week. Ohio State had a close ugly one vs NW. What matters is we won and it wasn't a fluke.

There is nothing swaggy about unsportsmanlike conduct and personal foul penalties that cost your team a ton of yardage and get a player ejected. Let's stop that ridiculous narrative right now. MM, and every coach, wants their players to play their hearts out with extreme physicality and toughness, within the rules. No coach worth his salt is not going to stand for the stupid **** that was on display last night.

2. Unless you actually know that the line is "**** em up, **** em up, go CU," you can't tell what the crowd is yelling when it's on the broadcast. You really can't. Watch a game with someone who doesn't know, point out the cheer, and ask them what the words are. They'll have no ****ing clue.

I've taken young nieces and nephews to games. They've been taught "Buff 'em up, Buff 'em up, GO CU" and as far as I know, they did not learn otherwise. Should they be so lucky as to attend the University of Colorado at Boulder, one day, I'm sure other students will set them straight, but in the meantime, they have been AT games and not known what the chant is, so I believe the viewing audience won't know either.

There is nothing swaggy about unsportsmanlike conduct and personal foul penalties that cost your team a ton of yardage and get a player ejected. Let's stop that ridiculous narrative right now. MM, and every coach, wants their players to play their hearts out with extreme physicality and toughness, within the rules. No coach worth his salt is not going to stand for the stupid **** that was on display last night.
This. Anyone who thinks the "badass" behavior had any part in the victory last night is delusional.

My thoughts:
UCLA is good on Defense and in the Return game. Very tough up front on DL and A+ athletes at a lot of positions.
UCLA is a bad offensive team, with almost no ability to run the ball.
Colorado is VERY good on defense. Saw lots of good things from Falo, Hasselback and Shaver.
Colorado Special teams were very good, minus a PK. We blocked a kick and returned a punt. The kick we had blocked was a low kick.
Colorado offense struggles against good defenses. We miss having a big and strong WR. Ross, Fields and Bobo were blanketed last night.

Sefo needed to run the ball as it remains a key part of our offense. Get used to it.
Sefo is leaving the pocket early again. He needs to step up in pressure, not bail out to the right.
Our offensive struggles have more to do with opposition defense. But it needs to continue to grow.

We are better coached than most teams we are seeing in the PAC12. We commit less penalties, we are confused less often. We haven't had any long runs where we forget how to tackle (for example). We have the right guys in the right place, in the right situations.
Last night better be an exception with the turnovers and penalties. That's not us.

Lastly: The PAC12 mostly sucks this year. It's a perfect storm.
UCLA, Arizona and Stanford are much worse on offense than was predicted in August.
ASU, Cal and Oregon are flat out bad on defense. So is AZ, but we expected that.
USC is now playing about how we expected, after a bad start. The rest are about how I expected.
That's 6 teams that we were concerned with in August that don't look nearly as good as we expected.

Last edited:
I've taken young nieces and nephews to games. They've been taught "Buff 'em up, Buff 'em up, GO CU" and as far as I know, they did not learn otherwise. Should they be so lucky as to attend the University of Colorado at Boulder, one day, I'm sure other students will set them straight, but in the meantime, they have been AT games and not known what the chant is, so I believe the viewing audience won't know either.
I had some kids sitting in front of me at a game once, I changed it to "Buffaloes, Buffaloes, go CU." Their dad looks at me, and says "can you not yell that in front of my kids?"

You hear what you want to hear.

When was the last time you were pissed after a Buff's victory? Because that's how I felt last night driving home. For all the reasons stated in this thread - the penalties, lack of offensive production, the play calling, the O-line play, the turnovers, the officiating, the lack of a sell-out, the fact that we didn't get a ****ty preview from nik. All of it really pissed me off!

I woke up this morning with a huge grin on my face because I realized that the Buffs are relevant - for the first time since my third child was born. I care - I REALLY CARE that the Buffs not only perform, but HOW they win. This team, this coaching staff has earned every bit of my passion for the Buffs this year. Who would have thought at the beginning of the season that we would have beaten ASU, Oregon, Stanford, and UCLA at this time? No one that I know.

I'm still pissed, but I'm smiling from ear to ear. Because I have confidence in and expectations for this team for the first time in a very long time. The **** we saw last night will get corrected and we'll finish strong. We're witnessing a historic turn-around.

So gents, The Rise is indeed real. Revel in your pissedness!

Last edited:
Back