What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

That was a "WTF" game

And yet, on 9 News this morning, the only film clip they showed was Montez's interception and they said it was Sefo's.

How inept do you have to be, as a news station, when a team is 7-2, and wins on the first punt return in 11 years, to show an interception. Good work gang!
9news is hot garbage. This is only one example of their cluelessness.

9news is hot garbage. This is only one example of their cluelessness.
I haven't seen any local TV news that was worth a shjt in decades, but admittedly never tried looking for anything here. Is there a Denver-area TV news station that we like?

I would say the PAC has two teams that can play with anyone in the country in Washington and USC. Those are followed up by 4 good teams in Colorado, Utah Washington state and Stanford. Then you have your potential bowl teams that have proven they are better than the teams in the same position in different conferences: ucla, Arizona state, cal and Oregon. Then there are two bottom feeders in Arizona and Oregon state although osu is making a strong case to be in that next group with how they have competed.

I don't rate Stanford any better than UCLA. They can't throw the ball and have trouble on offense in general. We handled both teams about the same, but Stanford was on the road. Clearly both are down this year below Utah, WSU and Colorado and I'd lump them with ASU, Cal and Oregon.

I don't rate Stanford any better than UCLA. They can't throw the ball and have trouble on offense in general. We handled both teams about the same, but Stanford was on the road. Clearly both are down this year below Utah, WSU and Colorado and I'd lump them with ASU, Cal and Oregon.
The difference is stanford can actually run the ball a ton better than ucla and I would say their defense is better as well, especially when healthy. Ucla has no identity and doesn't know who they want to be and it shows up in big moments IMO.

Maybe so.
Bad-boy teams aren't sustainable. Sustained success is built on executing plays, not extracurricular attitude. Look at Miami. It wasn't sustainable. Similar story with the Oakland Raiders or the Baylor Bears. The bad-boy persona leads to bad off-field issues. Been there, done that.

One game is enough for you to think we are going with a "bad boy persona"? What happened to the last 8 games where we were one of the least penalized teams in the nation. Just outliers? This isn't something to worry about unless we do it again. Just a (as the title says) WTF game.

Also, I thought Brady Quinn did a decent job.

I've taken young nieces and nephews to games. They've been taught "Buff 'em up, Buff 'em up, GO CU" and as far as I know, they did not learn otherwise. Should they be so lucky as to attend the University of Colorado at Boulder, one day, I'm sure other students will set them straight, but in the meantime, they have been AT games and not known what the chant is, so I believe the viewing audience won't know either.
Yup. Taught my boys that it is "Buffaloes, Buffaloes, go CU". Even inside the stadium (as long as you're not right next to the students), you can't tell what they are saying.

parents need to harmonize on alternate fight-song ad-lib lyrics. I know I've sat behind parents teaching "rough 'em up, rough 'em up" to their kids.

or just say screw it and let them figure out the truth. that could be a convenient excuse for when your four year old gets her parents in trouble with day care because she says the f-word. "no, she definitely didn't learn that word at home, but I do take her to Buffs games..."

parents need to harmonize on alternate fight-song ad-lib lyrics. I know I've sat behind parents teaching "rough 'em up, rough 'em up" to their kids.

or just say screw it and let them figure out the truth. that could be a convenient excuse for when your four year old gets her parents in trouble with day care because she says the f-word. "no, she definitely didn't learn that word at home, but I do take her to Buffs games..."
I've always thought it SHOULD be "Rough em' up Buffaloes, GO CU", thus my screen name was born.

Honestly I am surprised this hasn't happened yet this season. Leavitt is a firery guy I guess ucla just brought it out in the players which is understandable since the whole conference thinks they are a bunch of spoiled bitches.

We don't hide the truth in our house. They will hear it one day. Both my kids have always said **** em up, **** em up since ****ting in diapers.

Last edited:
Yup. Taught my boys that it is "Buffaloes, Buffaloes, go CU". Even inside the stadium (as long as you're not right next to the students), you can't tell what they are saying.
This is the official chant and is the one the spirit squad uses. It is also the one I use and taught the kids. When they get of college age and stand all game they can use the alternate student chant just like I did.

This is the official chant and is the one the spirit squad uses. It is also the one I use and taught the kids. When they get of college age and stand all game they can use the alternate student chant just like I did.
my mistake. I didn't realize there was an official version and had assumed they were all fan ad-libs. that's a different situation, then.

Content with an ugly win, but agree with Skidmark. I was alarmed that the prepared, disciplined, execution-focused team that we saw over the first half of the season looked a bit like the success had gone to their heads. They came in confident (good!) but also cocky and undisciplined.

Don't even get me started on the footage of several players after the game looking into the eyes of girlfriends or flirtatious coeds. Distractionville.

There are always a few "WTF" games per year. This was a learning experience. I was at the game so it seemed to me like the officiating was just over the top, but you guys who watched on TV seem to think it was the result of UCLA trash talking getting under our skin. Great!! They needed to try bush league tactics to try to beat us and we still won!

The game was ugly, no doubt. But we won, we held UCLA to their lowest point total of the year, we faced adversity and prevailed. These are really, really good things. This will help us a lot in our last three games. I left the game last night feeling like we escaped with an ugly win. Im far more positive about it today.

One game is enough for you to think we are going with a "bad boy persona"? What happened to the last 8 games where we were one of the least penalized teams in the nation. Just outliers? This isn't something to worry about unless we do it again. Just a (as the title says) WTF game.

Also, I thought Brady Quinn did a decent job.

I was responding to CUBuff80, who introduced Miami into the discussion, and in general to the sentiment that punch-them-in-the-mouth swagger is a good thing when confronted with a mouthy opponent like UCLA.

Clearly this game was an exception. Up to this game, CU has been extraordinary in avoiding dumb unforced penalties. We saw a side of CU that was as unexpected as it was undisciplined.

Based on MacIntyre's comments, the penalties and sloppy play doesn't meet the Colorado Football standard.

I'm confident the lack discipline we saw last night is being addressed in practice. It would be surprising and disappointing to see so many yellow flags and turnovers in any of the remaining games.

I almost vomited Kool-Aid all over my living room! Managed to keep it down. Made a fresh pitcher this morning. :D

C'mon. Let's save the asshole behavior until after the team has actually beaten a ranked team and delivered a decisive bowl victory.
100% This. I've seen it too many times - a team gets on a hot streak, they start being assholes, and now it's everyone's sole purpose in life to beat them...and we don't have enough clout yet. If we are good for 4-5 more years, then yes...let's get all 1993 v Miami style. But as of right now, we should just win, let the scoreboard do the talking, and keep our mouths shut - Alabama style.
As for the fans, I think kinda the same thing - already with the marshmallows and ice balls. We haven't earned that yet, and we are in a very delicate position right now of trying to rebuild our reputation as powerhouse. All that does is have the announcers talk **** about us and that's not helping (even if it is Brady "shaved arms" Quinn).

Good teams find a way to win games like this on and CU did last night. That is a lose in any of the last 10 years but not not this year. CU was the better team and just kept stepping on their Johnson whenever given the chance. Feels good to be able to win a game like this.

And I think the jury's still out on Washington. No OOC to speak of, and granted an away game but needed one of the worst officiated plays this year to win against a depleted Utah team. Will be interesting to see them against USC.

There are always a few "WTF" games per year. This was a learning experience. I was at the game so it seemed to me like the officiating was just over the top, but you guys who watched on TV seem to think it was the result of UCLA trash talking getting under our skin. Great!! They needed to try bush league tactics to try to beat us and we still won!

The game was ugly, no doubt. But we won, we held UCLA to their lowest point total of the year, we faced adversity and prevailed. These are really, really good things. This will help us a lot in our last three games. I left the game last night feeling like we escaped with an ugly win. Im far more positive about it today.
All teams have ugly wins, look at all of the "great" teams who've played Iowa St. and could easily have lost.

The O-Line got beat last night, plain and simple. Same at Stanford. Utah has a front 7 that can control the LOS.

Not sure about Arizona and WSU
I hope Buffs are 9-2 when Utah comes to town.

BTW -I kept thinking those ****ed up ucla snaps were going to bite them in the ass eventually? never really did except first or second series? that dude was snapping high all night.
That UCLA center was playing through a shoulder injury on his snapping arm. Not enough to keep him out of the game, but enough to affect his accuracy.

On another note, the UCLA game was the last time this season that CU will get multiple flags for f***ing saying things. There is no excuse for that, and the coaches will correct it.

The O-Line got beat last night, plain and simple. Same at Stanford. Utah has a front 7 that can control the LOS.

Not sure about Arizona and WSU
I hope Buffs are 9-2 when Utah comes to town.

That was the key for the UCLA defense last night. Their front 4 were awesome. Allowed UCLA to play 2-deep at safety so the corners could press our receivers knowing they had help over the top. LBs were also dropping out to cut off the passing lanes and create very tight windows. What that left open and the Buffs did not exploit enough were the short passes to the backs and receivers. I would have liked to see a lot more going on with RB, WR and even TE screens to slow that rush and suck up those LBs and Safeties to the line of scrimmage. They were basically giving that stuff to us.

The middle of the field was given to us. You know- the area where you typically throw to the tight end. We desperately need to develop a TE threat. We can't allow opposing defenses to ignore that part of the field.

Back