What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The 2020 COVID Coaching Carousel

Say what you will about him, and you would probably be right, but Malzahn has the ring.

If he doesn't want to take a year off or work for Saban their will be plenty of teams willing to bid for a "big name" coach.

He’s their wealthiest alum.
Yeah I get that, I just was curious if he’s an active booster to the athletic department? Is he the kind of wealthy alum who is going to contribute to a massive buyout for a football coach? Maybe he is, I honestly don’t know.

Say what you will about him, and you would probably be right, but Malzahn has the ring.

If he doesn't want to take a year off or work for Saban their will be plenty of teams willing to bid for a "big name" coach.

Do Cam and the recruiting violations come with him?

Do Cam and the recruiting violations come with him?
We all know that there are plenty of schools out there that would happily fund the recruiting violations if they could get a Cam Newton and a trip to the playoffs out of it.

How do you view Malzahn?
I view him as “Not Saban.” Saban has applied an entirely new and complete system to college football.
Alabama has a proven and effective system for EVERYTHING that happens within that program.
They have applied the same principles that corporations use to capture markets and capture market share. We are seeing that domination with a consistency that is unmatched in the history of college football.
I think programs like Georgia, Auburn, Tennessee, Florida, OSU, USC and LSU have a chance to get there but it is going to take time and an expertise far beyond what most football coaches possess.
Their system is far greater than just X’s and O’s and I don’t see ANY coach matching it any time soon.

Obviously, the record against Saban is pretty decent and the coach at Auburn will always be compared to the coach at Bama, but Malzahn did not get not fired today because he could not close the gap with Bama.

He got fired because he lost a lot of ground to A&M, Georgia (a huge rival), and LSU over the past several seasons. You can argue the Auburn fanbase has outsized expectations as it relates to Bama (probably true), but is one top 10 finish after that great first season at Auburn really that irreplaceable? That makes it hard to say it is just a Nick Saban issue.

All this is not to say Malzahn is a bad coach, far from it. He is usually pretty good occasionally flirting with very to great and a head-scratching loss thrown into the mix as well. It likely would have ended up better for all parties if he had just bolted for Arkansas three years ago.

Last edited:
Obviously, the record against Saban is pretty decent and the coach at Auburn will always be compared to the coach at Bama, but Malzahn did not get not fired today because he could not close the gap with Bama.

He got fired because he lost a lot of ground to A&M, Georgia (a huge rival), and LSU over the past several seasons. You can argue the Auburn fanbase has outsized expectations as it relates to Bama (probably true), but is one top 10 finish after that great first season at Auburn really that irreplaceable? That makes it hard to say it is just a Nick Saban issue.

All this is not to say Malzahn is a bad coach, far from it. He is usually pretty good occasionally flirting with very to great and a head-scratching loss thrown into the mix as well. It likely would have ended up better for all parties if he had just bolted for Arkansas three years ago.
Right. The issue is that we are living in a world where it is Alabama vs everyone else. I don’t see anyone that Auburn would hire that is going to change that

Yeah I get that, I just was curious if he’s an active booster to the athletic department? Is he the kind of wealthy alum who is going to contribute to a massive buyout for a football coach? Maybe he is, I honestly don’t know.
I don’t know. He shies away from publicity like that. But, I know Auburn has plenty of deep pockets willing to cut a check to whack a football coach.

I don’t know. He shies away from publicity like that. But, I know Auburn has plenty of deep pockets willing to cut a check to whack a football coach.
He's wealthy enough that writing a check that big doesn't have any real impact on his finances.

He's also wealthy and successful enough that he doesn't need or want the attention that doing something like that would bring. If he were to pay for it he could insist on staying anonymous.

Right. The issue is that we are living in a world where it is Alabama vs everyone else. I don’t see anyone that Auburn would hire that is going to change that

Not at all what my post is saying. If Auburn was consistently top 15 and only occasionally beating Bama, Malzahn is still the coach there.

Not at all what my post is saying. If Auburn was consistently top 15 and only occasionally beating Bama, Malzahn is still the coach there.
I agree. The problem is that Auburn lives in the cyclical world of ups and downs that is a typical college football team. They are not going to hire someone who changes that. (IMHO)

LSU's the defending champ and I'd put the odds of Texas A&M in the CFP at 40-45% depending on the ACC championship game. Auburn has dropped to arguably 4th in that division.

It won't, but Auburn does not need to change that dynamic to be successful.

Not a coach, but an interesting move none the less.

Sounds like a good hire. Interesting that he worked for the ND athletic department for a few years, maybe that will be a factor in eventually getting ND to join the ACC I'm football. A big item on the table is reworking their current ESPN deal and getting ND to join would certainly spearhead that.

Back