What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The makeup game

By now somebody must have Independence CC on the line.

Honestly, it doesn't really bother me if this game isn't made up until another year (2015 open date works).

I am not sure what the SDSU idea is other than they might have a bye on 10/19 but don't they already have 12 games scheduled? Are they allowed a 13th? Do they travel to Hawaii or something?

Yeah, I don't know what the SDSU idea is either, but I'm assuming the same as you are. It might work out pretty well for us, as they are definitely more beatable than Fresno....

SDSU has a bye week for Oct 19th. They also play at Hawaii this year, so can do a 13th game.

CU also has a by for Oct 19th.

The idea would be that we'd add SDSU this year during that week, play a home game against FSU in a future year, and add a road game at SDSU in a future year.

I'm not sure that FSU would want to give up the revenue for this year's budget, but it's actually a net win for MWC revenues since the conference would get 3 games instead of 1. Maybe there's a way to make it happen.

The NCAA allows one victory per season over a Division I FCS team to count toward an FBS team's bowl eligibility, so long as the FCS team has supplied financial aid for football averaging out to at least 56.7 full scholarships (90% of the limit of 63 allowed to FCS schools) over "a rolling two-year period" that can include the current season. And can only count one win towards bowl eligibility per season. There is also a clause stating you can apply for waiver which I am guessing if we get to 5-6 we might be granted if we cannot pick up another game. Even as ****ty as the NCAA I think holding a team out due to a national disaster is press even the NCAA would be terrified of.

ASU beat two FCS teams a couple years ago and applied for a bowl waiver and were denied.

NO to SJSU not fair to our new Coaching staff... YES to SDStU. or convince AFA to get over themselves and play us, like that idea, a lot.

can someone fill me in on the baggage that we carry with Airforce? If they somehow feel slighted, is there anyone left at CU who could possibly be responsible? Dave Plati maybe?

ASU beat two FCS teams a couple years ago and applied for a bowl waiver and were denied.

ASU also didn't lose a game due to "biblical" flooding in their city. The publicity the NCAA would get for not waiving that rule for us this would be as bad as them trying to take a year away from a former soldier because he played in a couple pickup football games while he was stationed overseas. I don't see that happening.....Mark Emmert and company aren't that dumb.

can someone fill me in on the baggage that we carry with Airforce? If they somehow feel slighted, is there anyone left at CU who could possibly be responsible? Dave Plati maybe?

There's a thread around here somewhere on it. It goes back to the Vietnam War era. Bunch of hippy jackasses in our crowds abused their cadets pretty badly.

NO to SJSU not fair to our new Coaching staff... YES to SDStU. or convince AFA to get over themselves and play us, like that idea, a lot.

Don't like this idea much, they are just good enough in any given year that we could end up embarassing ourselves.

San Diego St. - YES!!!

I admire your optimism bit I don't share it. There are winnable games but I don't expect us to go 4-0 or even 3-1 in those games.

I'd be happy to be wrong and I'm really glad that we're a couple of games into the season and our bowl hopes haven't been completely crushed already. That's progress.

Ok, Monday hasn't been good to me. I totally ****ed up my count (yeah, yeah :finger:) :lol:

3-1 could be done, I wouldn't bet on it though. If we schedule a bad team like SDSU, Tulane, or Hawaii we would likely go 3-0 in the OOC and maybe we steal a win we shouldn't at some point that wasn't listed on the winable games list above. I'd also throw Arizona to the winable conference teams, they are 3-0 but they have also played Northern Arizona (#128 in the Sagarin Rankings), UNLV (#138 in the Sagarin Rankings), and UTSA (#132 in the Sagarin Rankings) so they've played a really, really bad schedule so far and haven't been tested.

i'd love an sdsu game. no team is a pushover for us at this point, but you'd have to at least put that game in the "winnable" category.

then, to find just.three.wins in conference.

i can dream, can't i?

Serially? that's lame.

Serious disrespect towards the cadets and the air force

From the Gazette

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." - William Faulkner Nearly 39 years ago, Colorado traveled to Falcon Stadium for the final game in what could have been - what should have been - an enduring football series. The Buffs defeated Air Force in a 28-27 thriller. Colorado and Air Force have not played a football game since. And they may never play again. I want CU and Air Force to hug, make up, settle their differences and play some football. Both schools struggle to sell tickets in a state where college football struggles mightily. Trust me; a clash between the Buffs and Falcons would fill the stands in Boulder or Colorado Springs. But ugly times from the past remain a roadblock to the future of the series, which thrived during 16 games from 1958 to 1974. On Air Force's final two football trips to Boulder in 1971 and 1973, chaos reigned. CU students, fueled by alcohol and rage about the Vietnam War, attacked Air Force cadets and leaders. Uniforms were ripped. Hats stolen. In the final trip in 1973, students tossed eggs and cans of beer. One of those cans hit Lt. Gen. Albert Clark, an American hero. Clark, the Air Force superintendent, survived internment at a German prison camp during World War II. He came home to survive a frozen beer can smacking him upside the head. "The college was pretty riotous," Clark told me in 2009. Those disastrous, disturbing visits to Boulder were long ago. Yet in a powerful way, those trips live, lingering in the memories of dozens who endured those "riotous" days. Air Force athletic director Hans Mueh, who sat in the stands in 1973, is one who remembers. On Wednesday, Mueh was walking quickly on his way to lunch, talking happily about the weather. He stopped in his tracks when asked about those final football trips to Boulder. "It was a very, very unpopular war," he said, "but for them to take it out on us ." He shook his head. His smile was gone, not to return while he talked about a defunct football series. "I will never forget it," he said. "It left a lasting impression. It did." He sometimes sees, in his mind's eye, "little snippets" of the anarchy in Boulder. He was hit by a cup of beer in 1973 while he watched his friends abused by a rowdy gang of students. "It's still with me," he said. And not just with him. I've supported the renewal of this series for the past decade, and this has inspired Air Force alums and supporters to fill my e-mail box. The CU campus is, one Air Force supporter wrote, "severely indoctrinated with a blind rage toward the military." This is a typical comment. But if true, why did the Air Force basketball team visit the CU campus without incident in November? Those who lead the Falcons athletic department have never quite gotten around to renewing the series because they remain stuck in the past. It's not just Mueh. Randy Spetman, his predecessor, also retained a sense of anger about those now-distant journeys to Boulder. I wish Hans, and everyone connected with the academy, would listen to the words of Clark, who spoke with me not long before his death. Clark, then 96, talked in a clear voice. He no longer opposed renewing a once-promising football series. "I don't hold a bitterness forever," he said. Right on, general.
Read more at http://gazette.com/ramsey-if-gen.-c...ll-series/article/1502576#U8ridPsDzSdh4Vtt.99

sad and embarrassing, but that was 1973. lot's have changed since then. Get over yourselves and "lets play some football". Someone told me long ago. "Sometimes you have to let things go".
I personally would rather play AFA then csu every year.

Last edited:
Cadets that were at the game are now in charge of the AD. Its still very personal and very hurtful to them.

It was 40 years ago, though. At the height of public anti-Vietnam sentiment.

This is what it's going to be like in 35 years when my grandchildren ask me why I hate Nebraska and Baylor. :lol:

Cadets that were at the game are now in charge of the AD. Its still very personal and very hurtful to them.

So hurt that we play in basketball essentially every year. I could care less about playing Air Force. It's disappointing and shameful what occurred, but at some point you move on.

Last edited:
So hurt that we play in basketball essentially every year. I could care less about playing Air Force. It's disappointing and shameful would occurred, but at some point you move on.

I agree the basketball thing should have been a step in right direction. Something about football they are just afraid of. Maybe it comes down to the fact they do not need to play us. They can fill their sched with pretty much anybody they want. They are a bad enough team that the big boys want to play them for the win, but AF doesn't play or look like a bad team so its not embarrassing if its close/loss

I agree with others - I don't care if they have to schedule another div2 team - get another game on the schedule - even if it is at the end of the season.

Meanwhile, No one seems to want to make any kind of sacrifice to help CU fix the schedule. I am flabbergasted. I was sure someone would say, "You know what, they went through a bad deal and we can do something to help." Instead, its, "screw you guys." What really sucks is that we are already hurting financially. Losing a few million for a game hurts.

Anyway, I know this post is over emo. But I'm in a bad mood and this pisses me off. :lol:

Meanwhile, No one seems to want to make any kind of sacrifice to help CU fix the schedule. I am flabbergasted. I was sure someone would say, "You know what, they went through a bad deal and we can do something to help." Instead, its, "screw you guys." What really sucks is that we are already hurting financially. Losing a few million for a game hurts.

Anyway, I know this post is over emo. But I'm in a bad mood and this pisses me off. :lol:

I think Fresno has already done plenty to help, I'm sure if we had open dates that matched up, they would move the game there in an instant. Let's see how this plays out.

Back