1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is no longer a bad football team

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by KDBuff, Nov 14, 2015.

1. KDBuff

KDBuff Member

That one hurt. This team keeps finding inventive new ways to break our hearts. At the end of the day, we're not good enough to overcome mistakes. However frustrating, two years ago this team was losing these games by 40, and not looking even remotely competitive.

I thought the play calling was much better last night, had them on their toes. My only complaint is one that has been brought up here all season, and that's the coaches not have a game-ready backup qb. I blame Apsay's struggles with the blitzes on the coaches not having gotten him more experience. I said it as soon as he came in...we're going to get sacked here. But, he looked good all things considered.

I hate to keep feeling encouraged through losses, but I'm encouraged. Haven't looked at the schedule for next year, but I think we turn the corner.

DavisBuff likes this.
  2. buffs04

buffs04 Well-Known Member

What's the game plan for turning these losses into wins? The team is clearly better than Embree era, but we aren't winning more games. There is a pattern developing in losing these close games against better teams. We go up early, then we blow it (seemingly in the 3rd quarter). Frankly I think that the team is used to losing. Hopefully this attitude isn't wearing off on the incoming players.

Being close is probably going to cut it this year, but I hope it doesn't next year.

3. TimmyDUBs

TimmyDUBs Dirty haole Club Member

Meh, I am plenty used to losing close. I am not going to feel very encouraged until we win games against legitimate programs.

Big Jim likes this.
  4. SINKRATZ

SINKRATZ Club Member Club Member

Bad is relative. Better than Embree's teams? Sure. We're still (probably) a 1-win Pac 12 team who will miss out on a bowl. That's bad under most definitions.

sliderNcider and Big Jim like this.
  5. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

Well, it's time to knock the door down. I don't wanna hear this close bs. If it's there, take it.

6. Sykobuff

Sykobuff Club Member Club Member

The concern is, they lost all those close games last year. This year was the next step and they continue to keep losing close games.

They look good for a half then they implode, especially at home. Until they actually win these close games, they won't get the benefit of the doubt.

TimmyDUBs likes this.
  7. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

Finish, that's the only word that makes sense.

8. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

I still remember the 40-3 USC beat down in 2002. I am encouraged. Go beat the **** out the Pirate's crew.

9. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

Disheartening to read the WeAreUSC thread where CU is "THE WORST TEAM IN THE CONFERENCE" [/ALLCAPS].

CU is going to have to beat someone other than Oregon State and Wazzou to shake that opinion.

10. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

I knew were in trouble when they put up that stat where USC had not won a game they trailed by double digits at halftime in a decade.

FlatironsBuff likes this.
  11. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

The game was over when Powell fumbled in the third quarter. Yes, I realize we still had a four point lead at that point, but the game was lost. It was obvious to me. I had seen that play before and I knew how it ended. Until we get past that, we are what we are.

Big Jim and Daaah like this.
  12. pcbuff

pcbuff Well-Known Member

USC and UCLA were games that would be wins against much of the PAC. Now we need that type of game against WSU and they win by ten.

13. BuffSurveyor

BuffSurveyor Club Member Club Member

Colorado is playing better, but still a poor football team. Building and growing for next year for sure.

14. patebuff

patebuff Downgraded to half a star Club Member

I thought the exact same thing. Unfortunately we aren't talented enough or have enough depth to have back breaking penalties or turnovers. Other teams can weather a few bad penalties and turnovers. Not the buffs. Either they need to play flawlessly or the talent needs to improve drastically.

15. patebuff

patebuff Downgraded to half a star Club Member

Still better than Nebraska

16. Bufffan68

Bufffan68 Club Member Club Member

I would say we are average and improving.

17. Burrito Palazzo

Burrito Palazzo huff my smug Club Member

I would say our record disagrees with you.

ZandiBuff and Big Jim like this.
  18. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

You don't have a say in this matter. Your drive by posts suck.

19. BuffSurveyor

I want some of what you are drinking.

20. Burrito Palazzo

Burrito Palazzo huff my smug Club Member

**** off, troll.

21. BuffSurveyor

Right! Trolling since '08. NOT!

22. fatbuff

fatbuff Well-Known Member

As Mike's mentor said "We are what our record says we are."

23. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Still a bad football team.

24. buffs04

Yeah, I don't buy the "we're good, we just blow it in bad moments..."

A huge part of being a good team is NOT doing that.

DrunkPanda likes this.
  25. Colorado Track Fan

Colorado Track Fan Banned BANNED

Give me an example of a bad football team in the p5

26. 14er

14er “Imitation is suicide.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

27. walk

walk Member

Guess who these quotes are from: "Trust the process! The future is bright for this team." "So close... Wouldn't want to be here with any other group of guys. Love this team." and "The future is so bright for this team and I am so happy to be apart of the process."

You got it - Kansas! After almost beating a top 5 team yesterday. Every team looks at the positives and thinks their improving. We are no different at Colorado. However, the record is the baseline and right now we barely beat the worst team in the P12 and have 1 victory in conference and arguably the worst recruiting class (bottom 2 for sure). But yeah, I would think we'd beat Kansas.

Big Jim likes this.
  28. DrunkPanda

DrunkPanda Active Member

No.... no, actually we ARE a bad team... That's.... why we have won 2 conference games in 3 years... That's why we screw up and blow it in every game that we are close in. Good teams find a way to win games, bad teams find a way to lose games. How are people here not seeing that?

We aren't even getting our opponents' full effort and they are still all beating us. Do you really think they are preparing and playing with the same focus & intensity when they play "2 wins in 3 years" Colorado as they would if they are playing a conference contender team?

Tell anyone, ANYONE outside of the CU fan base that CU is actually a good team and watch their reaction. They will laugh at you

Big Jim likes this.
  29. buffs04

Looks like the luster might be off of our signature close loss after last night, too. Hopefully next year our signature close losses will come against teams that are actually good.

30. Big Jim

Big Jim WTF? Club Member

This was the 2005 ISU game all over again. Seniors Vickers and Klatt both had turnovers in the second half that were returned 63 yards for TD's allowing CU to lose a come from ahead game. The team quit on Barnett that day and he was fired after the Big 12 loss, 7000-3, to UT next.

It is pretty amazing that MacIntyre has not lost this team yet given the past two seasons. But this loss to USC feels like it could be his "ISU". The seniors are done. No bowl, no more home games. MacIntyre is not even trying to hide his disdain for his QB of the next two games. At least one player is publically tweeting he has all but given up.

It will be interesting to see if the coach and team have enough juice to keep fighting for the remaining two games given that the season goals are lost. I truely believe that the next two games will be make-or-break for MacIntyre in Boulder. If the team plays with heart the next two games then 2016 may see an upswing in success. If the players have quit for the season and get blown out at WSU and at UU than I see a strong probability of a fracured team that will almost no chance of success in 2016.