What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

UCLA tells Darrell Scott "Not Interested"

Hawkins never let this guy be great, give him a break. He had over 3k yards and 45 touchdowns his junior year in high school. Only one touchdown at CU...hmm is it him or the coaches

Has a lot to do with attitude as well. I think Darrell was "lazy" coming into Cu thinking he was automatically gonna be the big fish on campus, and just give him the ball type stuff. He came in overweight, and the coaches should have redshirted him right then. Instead they played him, and he had been injury prone his entire time here a lot of because of being out of shape IMO. I think the reason DS didn't shine here is a combination of his attitude and the coaches.

Has a lot to do with attitude as well. I think Darrell was "lazy" coming into Cu thinking he was automatically gonna be the big fish on campus, and just give him the ball type stuff. He came in overweight, and the coaches should have redshirted him right then. Instead they played him, and he had been injury prone his entire time here a lot of because of being out of shape IMO. I think the reason DS didn't shine here is a combination of his attitude and the coaches.

this

Hawkins never let this guy be great, give him a break. He had over 3k yards and 45 touchdowns his junior year in high school. Only one touchdown at CU...hmm is it him or the coaches

i would have probably given your opinion some thought, until you compared his junior year high school stats in the valley to college ball. way to make an argument.

Moorpark is not in the valley and that was D4 competition he was playing against.

Incidentally this was at moorpark ANOHTER school he quit on.

I don't know what player you guys were watching. I saw a RB and kick returner with very good speed, good moves, but absolutely no vision. Maybe he develops vision with more playing time, but I wouldn't bet the ranch on it.

Now when Calhoun transferred . . . that was a kick in the nuts.

i would have probably given your opinion some thought, until you compared his junior year high school stats in the valley to college ball. way to make an argument.

men lie, women lie, numbers don't

During his senior year in H/S DS rushed for over 1,600 yards and had 21 TD's. He had over 100 yards rushing in 8 out of 10 games.

In 3 seasons at CU he had 1 touchdown and roughly 400 yards and you wonder why he wants to transfer....

During his senior year in H/S DS rushed for over 1,600 yards and had 21 TD's. He had over 100 yards rushing in 8 out of 10 games.

In 3 seasons at CU he had 1 touchdown and roughly 400 yards and you wonder why he wants to transfer....

Division III senior year there would have been some soft teams on his schedule.

And for those of you who will clearly be curios:

Div 1 is the biggest league in CA with DV being the ****tiest league, DIII is a little odd though as it has a lot of top tier small private schools that court athletes.

Do you think he is the first college bust? Many players have great stats in high school against weak sauce competetion.

Division III senior year there would have been some soft teams on his schedule.

And for those of you who will clearly be curios:

Div 1 is the biggest league in CA with DV being the ****tiest league, DIII is a little odd though as it has a lot of top tier small private schools that court athletes.

So, they were'nt playing Mater Dei or De LaSalle type competition?

we will see whether he is a bust or not at his new school. Hawkins on the other hand is a bust.

I wish Darrell all the best and hope he tears it up at his next school. None of that will change the fact that, for what ever reason, a) he was nicked up a lot and b) he was unable to outperform Speedy while at CU.

Someone just needs to step in and sit down with the kid and find what the problem is and if the problem can be solved or not. How old is he? 19 or 20? My god, the stupid decisions I made then, I wish someone would have intervened on my behalf back then. We need to quit treating him like a pariah and see if this thing can be patched up or not.

So, they were'nt playing Mater Dei or De LaSalle type competition?

Nope, actually he'd probably be way better off if he'd gone to De LaSalle type school where more was expected of him day in and day out. The kid seems to have the raw talent a factory like De LaSalle might have been just what he need to get that killer edge.

I think Darrell Scott has all the talent in the world, for whatever reason it wasn't working here. He was injured a lot, who knows whose fault that was, but it didn't help things. What he does now doesn't really concern me.

FWIW I think Rick will take all the RB talent he can get. He didn't magically forget why he tried to put on the full court press on Darrell at the last minute. This is all probably just a front to convince Malcolm Jones to stick to his commitment.

Have you ever seen Sumler's HS stats? He had better HS stats than DS, but got the rock less in his first two years.

If high school stats were 100% accurate in projecting college success, then it would have been obvious speedy would be the superior back;

He (Speedy) earned first-team All-State, All-District and All-City honors as a senior, when he rushed for 2,036 yards and 33 touchdowns, averaging 10.8 yards per carry
http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=1514883

There was an article on Pitt's true freshman RB Dion Lewis in SI this week that sounded similiar to speedy's story. Lewis is a diminutive back (5-8) that most coaches thought was too small. The kid drove his HS tapes to Rutgers in an effort to drum up interest, but they never responded. Wannstedt took a chance on him and last month he hung 180 yards and 2 TDs on Rutgers. He may be first team Big East this year.

Sometimes recruiting ratings are very wrong.

Someone just needs to step in and sit down with the kid and find what the problem is and if the problem can be solved or not. How old is he? 19 or 20? My god, the stupid decisions I made then, I wish someone would have intervened on my behalf back then. We need to quit treating him like a pariah and see if this thing can be patched up or not.

rumor, and I stress RUMOR, is that some of the reason he left wasn't football-related. It was "high school soap opera drama" and hasn't been elaborated more than that. Take it for what it's worth, but this could be the sad case of a kid with knee-jerk reaction to something in his personal life, that will carry lasting consequences.

Hey, I've been there. I've done that. Just not in the public eye.

rumor, and I stress RUMOR, is that some of the reason he left wasn't football-related. It was "high school soap opera drama" and hasn't been elaborated more than that. Take it for what it's worth, but this could be the sad case of a kid with knee-jerk reaction to something in his personal life, that will carry lasting consequences.

Hey, I've been there. I've done that. Just not in the public eye.
his FB status updates sure seemed dramarific.

my dad said this to me after seeing Darrell in person (CU Law 72) at the first scrimmage....."he is not the same killer as a personality that Adrian Peterson is. or Beinemy".

i'll always be a fan of DS, but i think there is a lot of truth to that.

I am not convinced that Hawk is willing or able to do what is necessary to adapt to the talent he has. It seems to much like he is trying to force players to adapt to his system rather than vice versa.

DS looks like one of those backs who needs a little space to work in and is better once he gets going. What I saw on kickoffs showed me a very talented runner, what I saw from scrimmage was a very tentative runner who seems to be afraid that if he made a mistake he was going to be buried on the bench again. Unfortunately at this level of football if you play not to make mistakes you will invariably make mistakes as so went the cycle.

I just look at the schools that were recruiting him heavily and can't believe that all of them were wrong. He clearly didn't get much help in terms of scheme and the O-line has been an embarassment. It is always hard to say but under different circumstances ???

I think it is clear that Hawk was not completely honest with him or with us about him. I hope he gets a chance to prove on the field what he can or cannot do, wouldn't mind if it was here under a different coach than Hawk.

I think it is clear that Hawk was not completely honest with him or with us about him. I hope he gets a chance to prove on the field what he can or cannot do, wouldn't mind if it was here under a different coach than Hawk.

maybe he can quit the team by carrier pigeon under that guy.

Back