1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unintended consequences

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by dcbuffman, Nov 13, 2009.

1. dcbuffman

dcbuffman Member

"Some of our fans are against us," quarterback Tyler Hansen said. "Because of everything that's gone on, we really won't mind going on the road. "In a way, it'll be good to get away." Even with an 11-game losing streak away from home, Hansen said going on the road for a game significant to bowl hopes of both teams won't be all that bad. Upset with the direction of the program, including losing six of the first eight games this season, some fans wore the same powder blue that Colorado football teams wore while winning 10 games in four seasons between 1981 and 1984. "A group of fans chose to wear blue to disrespect the players and to protest the coaching staff and the program as a whole," Hansen said. "It ticked us off."

Maybe the powder blue crowd's intended message -- we're pissed at the coaches but not at the players -- is a bit too subtle for the players to understand. If you think you've done something good by convincing your new quarterback that he's better off playing on the road, it's time to re-evaluate what the heck you're doing.

The key word in TH's quote is "disrespect." If the powder blue brigade loves the Buffs as much as they claim, maybe it's time to stop disrespecting the program and start channeling their frustration in more productive ways.

2. buffsfan01

buffsfan01 Member

maybe they needed to play pissed from the start of the year,it seemed like they played and was coached with some fire somethan we havent seen all year !:thumbsup:

3. The Guest

The Guest Guest

Such as?

4. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

Maybe its time for some of the players to grow a pair.

5. InTheBuff

InTheBuff Club Member Club Member

TH = :dbt:

6. canbuff

canbuff New Member

Hey, it's not the fans fault that TH isn't sharp enough to be able to distinguish between a protest leveled at the coaches and administration versus one against the team as a whole. Doesn't bode well for CU if he can't discern the difference then good luck learning the playbook and guiding this team back out of the cellar.
    Hopefully he really isn't that slow and he is just using the protest to help fire him up....God knows Hawk has no clue how to fire them up!!!

7. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

:yeahthat:

Let's all sit around and talk about our "feelings" now.. :rolleyes:

Being 2-6 should tick you off more than what fans are wearing in the stands Hansen..

8. AlferdJasper

AlferdJasper Well-Known Member

Great.

CU Fans protest the football program and expect the players to understand "oh, this isn't about YOU, it's about coaching decisions." Or something. When the players feel disrespected, they are called "not sharp enough."

Sorry, I thought the idea was fun for students to pull off, but I figured it would end badly. Tell me again how Tyler Hansen was supposed to imagine that the powder blue-out was a sign of support for him? Didn't happen when Cody was playing, it happened after Tyler took over.

He may be sharper than you think.

If someone doesn't understand the message you are sending, sometimes you have to look at the message, not the recipient and figure out what went wrong. Gee I can't imagine why the quarterback of a losing team would think that a fan protest about bad football was directed at him and his teammates.

(I'm really tired of this. Probably time for a board break.)

9. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

When I pair the word "disrespect" with the word "shirt" in the context of Tyler Hansen, the first color to come to mind is not blue.

absinthe and (deleted member) like this.
  10. CaliBuff901

CaliBuff901 Active Member

Tyler needs to realize that people in powder blue still paid $50 to watch him play for 3 hours on Saturday. I don't think he is in position to be "ticked off" because fans who continually support the football program were unhappy with the product that was being put on the field. We are paying large $$$ to Dan Hawkins to coach and win, not to get wiped out by a CRAPPY Toledo Rockets team.

11. Hank

Hank Well-Known Member

But easily less than 200 showed up in powder blue. That's easily less than one-half of one percent. And now we'd rather play on the road? I guess those that scream the loudest...

"Hey Bohn! Powder Blue!!!"

12. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

I wore my regular gear. If the players are upset because a minority of the fans wore blue, so be it. Nobody is happy losing. This team is losing. If it takes getting a little P.O.'ed to get them back on track, I'm OK with that. The crystals, incense and orange slices haven't worked, maybe the fans expressing their displeasure at watching the Buffs get beat at about $50 bucks a seat wasn't so bad after all.

BuffNut99 likes this.
  13. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

:lol: Great point. Less than 200 people can throw the team off the even keel apparently.

14. dcbuffman

dcbuffman Member

Well, Mr. Walrus, there are lots of options for using your time more productively: Take your kids to the park; volunteer at the local soup kitchen; adopt a stretch of highway and pick up some trash. Basically, anything that gets you away from the computer and thinking up clever ways of expressing your frustration with the way this season is going.

Dividing the fan base into the powder blue haters and the black & gold supporters isn't helpful. NO ONE IS HAPPY WITH THE BUFF'S RECORD AND EVERYONE KNOWS THE HAWK IS ON THE HOT SEAT. Despite the rumors and rumblings reported by those "in the know" on this forum, it doesn't look like DH has lost this team. Write an email to Bohn if you must, but ambiguous public displays of dissatisfaction with the program have their downside, as TH's quote makes clear.

15. Clean Undies

When CSU fans are dancing on the Ralphie logo on Folsom Field, that's disrespectful.

16. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

Maybe you have to look at the message. Or maybe you have to look at the ****ing coach who lied through his ****ing teeth about the clearly stated message of the fans, driving a wedge between the fans and players to cover his own ****ing ass. What Hawk just did is booby trap this program. By convincing this team that the fans were aiming their protest at the players, rather than at him, HE has created one more reason for players to look at leaving if he gets fired. And yes, that is on him, his decision to lie to his team and NOBODY else.

Buffarino likes this.
  17. Hank

Hank Well-Known Member

On behalf of Mr. Walrus :lol:, I think you have missed the point.

Which of the following is better for the program:

(1) Purchase tickets, go to the game, root for the team, but do it wearing powder blue; or

(2) Don't purchase tickets and volunteer at the local soup kitchen?

I slightly lean towards the latter, but certainly understand the former.

18. canbuff

canbuff New Member

It was clearly stated in MANY media outlets that the protest was against the coaching staff and administration and NOT against the players. The only way a player could mistake this is either because he wants to view it as a protest against himself and his teammates...or he is just NOT THAT SHARP!!

I know this doesnt fit in with Hawks philosophy of...positivity, keeping an even kiel and overall *****ness...but it just might have created a rallying point for the players and coaches to work that much harder, show that much more emotion and play like winning and losing really does matter.

19. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

Benching your starting QB at the end of the half and the game and telling the world it's because he isn't capable mentally of running it (when he clearly was)? THAT is disrespectful.

20. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

It was "Hey MIKE, Powder blue, baby".

At least get the quote right. :lol:

21. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

These guys, and their coaches, are SOFT!!!!

They are upset because some fans wore blue?? Oh boo-****ing-who!!!

****ing grow a pair you bunch of pansies.

22. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

glad hes pisssed off. maybe they will win an away game for the first time in two ****ing years.

buffsfan01 likes this.
  23. Goose

Goose Hoops Moderator Club Member Junta Member

That's only because I wasn't allowed to bring a sniper rifle in to the game.

24. chipwich

chipwich Administrator Club Member Junta Member

"Some of our players are against us," a black and gold clad fan said. "Because of everything that's gone on, I really won't mind the team going on the road. In a way, it'll be good to not have to watch them."

"A group of players chose to play like **** for 6 games and disrespected the program as a whole," the fan said. "It ticked me off."

BlackNGold likes this.
  25. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I see what you did there.

:cool:

26. canbuff

canbuff New Member

LOVE IT CHIPPY! I wish the players and coaches would see this and figure out that the powder blue is not the enemy...just a group of people that has some emotion and pride and wants the team to play and the coaches to coach with those two traits as well.

27. Clean Undies

I really like Hansen's grit. His performances against KU and Aggy were great. As a young QB, he's been put in a tough spot. We fans expect him to win out.
    To do that, he's going to need some blocking and he's going to need special teams to step up. He can say whatever he wants to win the lockerroom, win over his team mates, stay in the good graces of his coach, and put up a numbers that earn some respect around the conference.

His comments about CU Blue is just a tempest in a teapot, kinda like his "altercation" with the bouncer at the frat house. I do hope he remains a Buff and brings home a couple of road wins.

Now let's get back to this subject of disrespect.
    Having a red shirt pulled in 2008 for KSU, only to be benched is disrespectful.
    The fabricated Fall Camp QB competition was disrespectful, and the second RS year was bizzare.
    Missing the opportunity to play mop-up duty against CSU or Toledo or even Wyoming was disrespectful.
    Getting your RS pulled on national TV infront of the longhorns was disrespectful when considering that the O-Line and Hansen clearly didn't get enough reps together. That O-Line didn't have any feel for Hansen's snap count, and he paid for it.
    Getting yanked so Cody could run a hurry-up offense is disrespectful.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  28. Buffarino

Buffarino Math - how does it work? Club Member

The anti-blue folks apparently want to force everyone into option #3 - STFU about your thoughts on the state of the program, wear black and gold (because Hawk said so) and be happy they are letting us pay to watch them play.

29. Buffarino

Buffarino Math - how does it work? Club Member

YMSSR, Chippy

30. Clean Undies

Yep. Checks please. Now STFU.