What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Unintended consequences

"Some of our fans are against us," quarterback Tyler Hansen said. "Because of everything that's gone on, we really won't mind going on the road. "In a way, it'll be good to get away." Even with an 11-game losing streak away from home, Hansen said going on the road for a game significant to bowl hopes of both teams won't be all that bad. Upset with the direction of the program, including losing six of the first eight games this season, some fans wore the same powder blue that Colorado football teams wore while winning 10 games in four seasons between 1981 and 1984. "A group of fans chose to wear blue to disrespect the players and to protest the coaching staff and the program as a whole," Hansen said. "It ticked us off."

Maybe the powder blue crowd's intended message -- we're pissed at the coaches but not at the players -- is a bit too subtle for the players to understand. If you think you've done something good by convincing your new quarterback that he's better off playing on the road, it's time to re-evaluate what the heck you're doing.

The key word in TH's quote is "disrespect." If the powder blue brigade loves the Buffs as much as they claim, maybe it's time to stop disrespecting the program and start channeling their frustration in more productive ways.

Maybe either Tyler is just to stupid to understand what was being said---and don't even tell me that the facebook page was not brought to his attention by other kids on campus--, OR (and this is what I think) he is just one of those guys who looks for something to fuel his competitive fire. Anything. Even if he has to make something up.

One other option-- this is the party line that Dan is spouting, and Tyler will fall in step with him so that there is one less reason for Dan to pull him and put Cody back in.:cool:

I love the quote.

Tyler and others are competitors. They are deliberately mis-interpreting the "sky blue protest" so they can use that for motivation. Just as they should be. They used it last week to beat a hot Texas A&M team. They're trying to use it this week to convince themselves that they look forward to playing on the road.

This is flippin perfect. I hope we spank the mother****ing clowns and get this road monkey off our back. Whatever it takes.

Well, Mr. Walrus, there are lots of options for using your time more productively: Take your kids to the park; volunteer at the local soup kitchen; adopt a stretch of highway and pick up some trash. Basically, anything that gets you away from the computer and thinking up clever ways of expressing your frustration with the way this season is going.

Dividing the fan base into the powder blue haters and the black & gold supporters isn't helpful. NO ONE IS HAPPY WITH THE BUFF'S RECORD AND EVERYONE KNOWS THE HAWK IS ON THE HOT SEAT. Despite the rumors and rumblings reported by those "in the know" on this forum, it doesn't look like DH has lost this team. Write an email to Bohn if you must, but ambiguous public displays of dissatisfaction with the program have their downside, as TH's quote makes clear.

It is the fan police again...telling us who is and who is not a good fan. For the record, I wore black and gold but it certainly did not bother me that other fans wanted to show their displeasure.

Tyler Hansen and the players should be more concerned about their performance against Missouri and KSU rather than what shirts the fans are wearing. I feel like the players disrespected the money I spent on this team with those performances.

Tyler Hansen is probably only playing because of the fans showing their displeasure with the coaching decisions.

I'm waiting for it...You just know that there will be 5000 fans who opted out due to the Powder Blue Out.

Amber Fartenspoogen, a lifetime season ticket holder was quoted as saying, "I go the the game win, lose, or draw. But I could not bring myself to Folsom fearing that I might have to put my black and gold shoulder next to some snot-nosed spoiled rich kid who is disrespecting my players by wearing that god awful powder blue."

Too bad it took a blue shirt to get these guys motivated instead of their ineffective coach or the prospect of having one of the worst seasons in school history. Either way I will take the new motivation.

It is the fan police again...telling us who is and who is not a good fan. For the record, I wore black and gold but it certainly did not bother me that other fans wanted to show their displeasure.

Tyler Hansen and the players should be more concerned about their performance against Missouri and KSU rather than what shirts the fans are wearing. I feel like the players disrespected the money I spent on this team with those performances.

Tyler Hansen is probably only playing because of the fans showing their displeasure with the coaching decisions.

Well, but that benefitted him, so that was a protest for the team, not against. Just goes to show he understnads what this is really about and is either just putting on a show for Danny boy, or is using it falsely for motivation.

On behalf of Mr. Walrus :lol:, I think you have missed the point.

Which of the following is better for the program:

(1) Purchase tickets, go to the game, root for the team, but do it wearing powder blue; or

(2) Don't purchase tickets and volunteer at the local soup kitchen?

I slightly lean towards the latter, but certainly understand the former.
No, I don't want you to STFU. I just don't think it's helpful to be a protester at a college football game. Maybe for the Fuskers game the blue crowd can show up in their blue jerseys AND wear paper bags on their heads. That would show that they're REALLY angry. And so on and so on.

I don't know, it just seems childish to me. At the point an adult feels he or she as to go to the game wearing protest gear, maybe, just maybe, that person has lost perspective.

This is bull****. How did they know what the powder blue meant? By reading the articles. What did the article say? That this is directed at coaches, not players. They can make up anything they want, but they know the truth of the blue-out.

I don't know, it just seems childish to me. At the point an adult feels he or she as to go to the game wearing protest gear, maybe, just maybe, that person has lost perspective.

Perspective: In the 120 history of CU football, how many teams entered November with only 2 or fewer wins?

There's no room for perspective in college football. I'm a delusional fanatic and proud of it.

No, I don't want you to STFU. I just don't think it's helpful to be a protester at a college football game. Maybe for the Fuskers game the blue crowd can show up in their blue jerseys AND wear paper bags on their heads. That would show that they're REALLY angry. And so on and so on.

Rushing the field after beating average teams seems childish to me. But hey if they want to do it let them.

My Neighbors probably look at me leaving for the game at 7 in the morning with my Black Escalade covered with Buff Magnets and Flags as being somewhat childish but none have complained about it - yet!

It is almost impossible for a player to seperate itself from the coach under any circumstances. Like him or not Hawkins is the guy who recruited them, has taken care of them, represents the program etc. etc. I think Hansen's reaction is very predictable and not "stupid" or being a crybaby. As I've said before, a siege mentality in the long run is not good for anybody.

Yeah, how dare the fans care? Or even worse, show they care?? :rolleyes:

I know why Tyler said what he said. Growing a pair that was mentioned earlier would be a good start. These guys need to realize how lucky they are to get a first class education and be able to play ball too. There is nothing free in this world, so step the **** up and go get yours. They shouldnt be worried about anything outside that lockeroom.

Let's see. . . .what was Tyler's salary for the game you paid $50 to see? Oh yes . . . it was $0.00. O.K. The Blue thing would have pissed me off too. You can't neatly separate out the players from the collective entity that is Buffalo Football past and present. You can bet none of us who wore the Black & Gold would wear a different color and expect the players to understand. So maybe you guys that are still in school should try to walk on and see if you can improve the effort of the team. I'm sure there are plenty of guys on the team that would be happy to knock you on your ass for a couple of hours a day. They would probably even let you wear a blue jersey.

My Neighbors probably look at me leaving for the game at 7 in the morning with my Black Escalade covered with Buff Magnets and Flags as being somewhat childish but none have complained about it - yet!

I was the same way last year... Every gameday, I proudly hoisted my CU flag in the front yard and donned my CU regalia. Eventually, the neighbor's kid told my kid that they all felt sorry for me. It was very humbling.

It's like I said, I understand why it pissed them off and it probably wouldve pissed me off too. Saying that, start kicking some ass and none of that stuff happens. If anybody has a reason to change things and start not accepting losing, these guys fit that bill.

Let's see. . . .what was Tyler's salary for the game you paid $50 to see? Oh yes . . . it was $0.00. O.K. The Blue thing would have pissed me off too. You can't neatly separate out the players from the collective entity that is Buffalo Football past and present. You can bet none of us who wore the Black & Gold would wear a different color and expect the players to understand. So maybe you guys that are still in school should try to walk on and see if you can improve the effort of the team. I'm sure there are plenty of guys on the team that would be happy to knock you on your ass for a couple of hours a day. They would probably even let you wear a blue jersey.

I see both sides of the argument. I wore my regular stuff (Black and Gold).

What I see is a GIGANTIC disconnect between the AD and the fans. The AD wants to charge premium prices, for everything from tickets, to parking, to licensed gear, to 6.00 chicken burritos. As soon as anybody says, "Hey, I expect something for that kind of $$$$", the AD hides behind the "student-athlete" "your not a real fan" "your team" line.

The fact is, it is our team, at least as far as alums and ticket buying fans go. Especially when your prices are VERY high for the product, I don't see why the AD cannot handle some criticism. Especially when it comes form the folks who foot the bill.

The people who get the short end of the deal are the players IMO. Yeah, they get a free education, but the value they add to the process is the greatest, but they see the least return.

The AD wants everybody to pony up premium prices, attend every game, cheer on the team and NEVER point out where things could be done better. When your team isn't competitive everybody gets restless. The AD, especially MB and DH are very well paid to manage the situation. Instead they often sound like a bunch of crybabies. Welcome to the big time, we're not reallyinterested in your excuses for lack of wins. You are not paid to give excuses.

"Some of our fans are against us," quarterback Tyler Hansen said. "Because of everything that's gone on, we really won't mind going on the road. "In a way, it'll be good to get away." Even with an 11-game losing streak away from home, Hansen said going on the road for a game significant to bowl hopes of both teams won't be all that bad. Upset with the direction of the program, including losing six of the first eight games this season, some fans wore the same powder blue that Colorado football teams wore while winning 10 games in four seasons between 1981 and 1984. "A group of fans chose to wear blue to disrespect the players and to protest the coaching staff and the program as a whole," Hansen said. "It ticked us off."

Maybe the powder blue crowd's intended message -- we're pissed at the coaches but not at the players -- is a bit too subtle for the players to understand. If you think you've done something good by convincing your new quarterback that he's better off playing on the road, it's time to re-evaluate what the heck you're doing.

The key word in TH's quote is "disrespect." If the powder blue brigade loves the Buffs as much as they claim, maybe it's time to stop disrespecting the program and start channeling their frustration in more productive ways.

:dbt:

Perhaps he prefers playing in front of a half filled stadium. Its $300 to take a family of four to a game. There are other things to spend $2100 on that the average Joe can get a lot more satisfaction out of. He could, for example, buy every accessory for the Wii, Xbox, or PS3 and have still have money left over.

No one likes playing on a losing team. But thats life. Tyler is protected by the same first amendment rights to complain as we are. The difference is the fans footing the bill for his education and for him to be there. :censored: It's a sad state of affairs for all.

:dbt:

Perhaps he prefers playing in front of a half filled stadium. Its $300 to take a family of four to a game. There are other things to spend $2100 on that the average Joe can get a lot more satisfaction out of. He could, for example, buy every accessory for the Wii, Xbox, or PS3 and have still have money left over.

No one likes playing on a losing team. But thats life. Tyler is protected by the same first amendment rights to complain as we are. The difference is the fans footing the bill for his education and for him to be there. :censored: It's a sad state of affairs for all.

That's my take on it too. When I take the whole clan to a game, it's a $300+ proposition. I don't really give a **** if MB approves of my attire. I cheer for the Buffs. I try to act civilized and enjoy myself. Having those bozos drop the "real fans" crap is just that, crap. I didn't wear the blue, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. The whole smarmy attitude by the AD is what ticks me off. Like their doing the fan a favor letting them pay through the nose even though under DH the team has yet to win more than they lose...

That's my take on it too. When I take the whole clan to a game, it's a $300+ proposition. I don't really give a **** if MB approves of my attire. I cheer for the Buffs. I try to act civilized and enjoy myself. Having those bozos drop the "real fans" crap is just that, crap. I didn't wear the blue, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. The whole smarmy attitude by the AD is what ticks me off. Like their doing the fan a favor letting them pay through the nose even though under DH the team has yet to win more than they lose...

The loudest message any paying fan can send is to stop paying. Money talks and bull$hit walks.

They go through even one season after losing something minimal, like 5000 fans, and they'd $hit bricks. Retaining DH presents the possibility that something like that could happen unless DH wins the rest of the slate.

The loudest message any paying fan can send is to stop paying. Money talks and bull$hit walks.

They go through even one season after losing something minimal, like 5000 fans, and they'd $hit bricks. Retaining DH presents the possibility that something like that could happen unless DH wins the rest of the slate.
If they keep DH following a 4-8 or less result, I fear the AD will see a massive drop in season tickets and attendance. I would be willing to see what happend if he wins out, but I still would not have a lot of confidence he's going to get it done. There have just been too many embarassments to believe he's the guy IMO. If he wins out and they go to some dog crap bowl, I'd be willing to see a year five.

Yeah That. And that goes double for all those 6 foot 5 280 pounders with good feet and hands who are cruising the Norlin Stacks!

I don't care if they're pissed off at me, just so long as they're PISSED OFF. They can be mad at me all they want. Somebody has to light a fire under this team, and right now, the coaching staff is doing a piss poor job of it. If it needs to be the fans, so be it. This team has too much talent to be pushed around by the likes of CSU, Toledo, Missouri and Kansas State. The truth hurts sometimes, and the truth of the matter is that the play on the field has flat out sucked. If the coaches are not able to deliver that message, then somebody else has to. The alternative is a half empty stadium. I don't want that. You don't want that. Mike Bohn doesn't want that. Dan Hawkins doesn't want that. The players sure as hell don't want that either. But that's the next step. I already know of several people who have simply given up on this team. A co-worker of mine who's been going to the games for 20+ years has said he's done. This isn't a guy who's had a passing fly-by-night interest in the program. He was, until this year, a devoted fan. He even traveled out to the WVU game this year. He's done now. The people who showed up in blue haven't given up. They're still showing up. They care.

[Portion of post edited due to player attacks - Dionisus1122]

Again, I say if you don't like what the program is doing, quit giving them your money and you will force their hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they keep DH following a 4-8 or less result, I fear the AD will see a massive drop in season tickets and attendance. I would be willing to see what happend if he wins out, but I still would not have a lot of confidence he's going to get it done. There have just been too many embarassments to believe he's the guy IMO. If he wins out and they go to some dog crap bowl, I'd be willing to see a year five.

If they win out, they could very well being going to a BCS bowl. :wow:

[Portion edited out for player attacks - Dionisus1122]

Again, I say if you don't like what the program is doing, quit giving them your money and you will force their hand.

Easy, partner. He's a kid. He's probably being spoon fed things to say by his coaches. I don't hold his comments against him. It's Platis comments that annoy me. 200 people my ass.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they win out, they could very well being going to a BCS bowl. :wow:
:lol: I forgot about the CCG. I meant win against ISU, OSU and the niblets. If they went to the CCG and won, I'd give Hawkins a three year pass. Somehow, I think there is little danger of having to issue that credential.

Back