What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What to expect from Davis Webb (NOTHING - Cal Bound)

I see this assumption a lot of places on this board, but I wanted to check if it was true. Here's what Cal has recruited since 2012 at QB:
  • 2012:
    • Zach Kline (4 star, 6.0 RR)
  • 2013:
    • Jared Goff (gone)
  • 2014:
    • Chase Forrest (2 star, 5.4 RR)
    • Luke Rubenzer (3 star, 5.7 RR)
  • 2015:
    • Ross Bowers (3 star, 5.7 RR)
  • 2016 (incoming):
    • Max Gilliam (4 star, 5.8 RR)
    • Victor Viramontes (3 star, 5.7 RR)
The current Cal depth chart lists Bowers, Forrest, Kline, Gilliam, Rubenzer as co-number 1s.

Over that same timeframe, CU has recruited:
  • 2013:
    • Sefo Liufau (3 star, 5.7 RR)
    • Jordan Gehrke (NR)
  • 2014:
    • Cade Apsay (gone)
  • 2015:
    • Steven Montez (3 star, 5.5 RR)
  • 2016 (incoming):
  • Sam Noyer (3 star, 5.6 RR)
As we know, CU's depth chart lists Gehrke, then Montez, then a walk-on.

So, I'd say it's pretty clear that there's a bigger hole and less competition on CU's roster than Cal's, but the wildcard is Sefo. He has started more games than the rest of the 9 guys mentioned above combined, but there is no guarantee he'll be able to perform at the same level if he even makes it back for the fall.
Great work! Sefo's career stats aren't bad but they mask his ATC rating...Ability To Choke.

I see this assumption a lot of places on this board, but I wanted to check if it was true. Here's what Cal has recruited since 2012 at QB:
  • 2012:
    • Zach Kline (4 star, 6.0 RR)
  • 2013:
    • Jared Goff (gone)
  • 2014:
    • Chase Forrest (2 star, 5.4 RR)
    • Luke Rubenzer (3 star, 5.7 RR)
  • 2015:
    • Ross Bowers (3 star, 5.7 RR)
  • 2016 (incoming):
    • Max Gilliam (4 star, 5.8 RR)
    • Victor Viramontes (3 star, 5.7 RR)
The current Cal depth chart lists Bowers, Forrest, Kline, Gilliam, Rubenzer as co-number 1s.

Over that same timeframe, CU has recruited:
  • 2013:
    • Sefo Liufau (3 star, 5.7 RR)
    • Jordan Gehrke (NR)
  • 2014:
    • Cade Apsay (gone)
  • 2015:
    • Steven Montez (3 star, 5.5 RR)
  • 2016 (incoming):
  • Sam Noyer (3 star, 5.6 RR)
As we know, CU's depth chart lists Gehrke, then Montez, then a walk-on.

So, I'd say it's pretty clear that there's a bigger hole and less competition on CU's roster than Cal's, but the wildcard is Sefo. He has started more games than the rest of the 9 guys mentioned above combined, but there is no guarantee he'll be able to perform at the same level if he even makes it back for the fall.
just doubled down on the analysis, I see

Still not ruling out the possibility that Kingsbury is pissed about Chev recruiting in his backyard and may have gotten in his QB's ear about Cal.
Kingsbury seemed fully supportive of Chev taking the CU job and seemed genuinely happy for him. That doesn't sound like a guy who would, all of a sudden, be pissed.

Talked to a buff mom today. She said, she said her son and a couple of his team mates said don't count on Webb coming. She also said they didn't care one way or the other.

Talked to a buff mom today. She said, she said her son and a couple of his team mates said don't count on Webb coming. She also said they didn't care one way or the other.
Extra-Extra.jpg

Cal's new OC, Jake Spavital, like CU's new OC, were both recently assistants under Kingsbury. Spavital was under Kingsbury at A&M and Spavital's brother is Kingburys current DB coach at TT.

So, this Cal/CU/Kingsbury circus shouldn't really be all that much of a surprise.

The wildcard is that you're basing their usable depth on recruiting rankings from HS. Much has changed and some Cal guys haven't developed. They have more guys but maybe no really good guys at QB.

Perhaps Kliff is still upset about his only visit to Boulder. Some of the relevant highlights:

BOULDER, Colo. (AP) -- Facing one of college football's most prolific passers, Colorado's defense made the bigger plays.

Safety Medford Moorer intercepted a Kliff Kingsbury pass and returned it 51 yards for a touchdown, and tackle Tyler Brayton returned Kingsbury's fumble 14 yards for another score as the Buffaloes (No. 20 ESPN/USA Today, No. 21 AP) beat Texas Tech 37-13 Saturday.
The Buffaloes defense limited Texas Tech to 359 total yards -- 125 yards below the Red Raiders' season average -- and 25 points
below their average.
Texas Tech (5-4, 2-2) crossed midfield only once in the second half, a drive that ended when freshman safety Akarika Dawn swatted
away Kingsbury's fourth-down pass.
On Tech's next series, Brayton sacked Kingsbury, forcing a fumble that Brayton picked up and returned for a TD with 4:22
remaining.
Kingsbury, the nation's leader in completions, attempts, yards passing and touchdown passes, was 36-for-65 for 268 yards and no
TDs.
Kingsbury, who had been intercepted only six times in 419 attempts coming into the game, was picked off a career-high four
times, including Moorer's runback that put the Buffaloes ahead 30-13 late in the third quarter.
``It was a total collapse on offense, a total collapse on special teams, a great game by our defense,'' Tech coach Mike Leach
said. ``We can't be in this business and just play on one side of the ball. Anybody on offense and special teams should be ashamed of
themselves.''
Asked if Kingsbury, who required eight stitches to close a wound on his throwing forearm during practice this week, was affected by the injury, Leach said, ``I don't think so.''
Moorer's interception return made it 30-13 with 1:46 to go in the third quarter. ``I just read the quarterback's eyes,'' Moorer said. ``When you put pressure on the quarterback the way we did, it makes it easier.''

Perhaps Kliff is still upset about his only visit to Boulder. Some of the relevant highlights:

BOULDER, Colo. (AP) -- Facing one of college football's most prolific passers, Colorado's defense made the bigger plays.

Safety Medford Moorer intercepted a Kliff Kingsbury pass and returned it 51 yards for a touchdown, and tackle Tyler Brayton returned Kingsbury's fumble 14 yards for another score as the Buffaloes (No. 20 ESPN/USA Today, No. 21 AP) beat Texas Tech 37-13 Saturday.
The Buffaloes defense limited Texas Tech to 359 total yards -- 125 yards below the Red Raiders' season average -- and 25 points
below their average.
Texas Tech (5-4, 2-2) crossed midfield only once in the second half, a drive that ended when freshman safety Akarika Dawn swatted
away Kingsbury's fourth-down pass.
On Tech's next series, Brayton sacked Kingsbury, forcing a fumble that Brayton picked up and returned for a TD with 4:22
remaining.
Kingsbury, the nation's leader in completions, attempts, yards passing and touchdown passes, was 36-for-65 for 268 yards and no
TDs.
Kingsbury, who had been intercepted only six times in 419 attempts coming into the game, was picked off a career-high four
times, including Moorer's runback that put the Buffaloes ahead 30-13 late in the third quarter.
``It was a total collapse on offense, a total collapse on special teams, a great game by our defense,'' Tech coach Mike Leach
said. ``We can't be in this business and just play on one side of the ball. Anybody on offense and special teams should be ashamed of
themselves.''
Asked if Kingsbury, who required eight stitches to close a wound on his throwing forearm during practice this week, was affected by the injury, Leach said, ``I don't think so.''
Moorer's interception return made it 30-13 with 1:46 to go in the third quarter. ``I just read the quarterback's eyes,'' Moorer said. ``When you put pressure on the quarterback the way we did, it makes it easier.''

Ah the stones ages. So much fun it was...

Cal's new OC, Jake Spavital, like CU's new OC, were both recently assistants under Kingsbury. Spavital was under Kingsbury at A&M and Spavital's brother is Kingburys current DB coach at TT.

So, this Cal/CU/Kingsbury circus shouldn't really be all that much of a surprise.

One small correction. Spavital and Kingsbury worked together under Kevin Sumlin at Houston in 2009 but Spav actually came to A&M in 2013 to replace Kingsbury after he left for the head coaching job at Tech. Still both are branches off the incestuous Mike Leach tree. Spavital's weakness seems to be in the coordinator duties but quarterbacks love him. A big reason why Kyle Allen transferred was because he had a great relationship with his coach who was almost assured to be fired. If Webb chooses Cal the credit should go to Spavital for closing.

This situation sure has gone back and forth.

My position is really pretty simple.

I expect Davis Webb to attend Colorado University and play for the Buffs. That is what he gave his word to do. He is not a teenager anymore that flips from one school to the next during his recruitment. In less than a year he will be taking his considerable skill set to the NFL to become a highly paid professional adult.

I am aware that it is 2016, the modern world, but in my book a persons word should still mean something. And if he chooses not to honor his word to the CU coaching staff........I'll let you draw your own conclusions as to what I think about that.

New

That was the day I told the Techie i worked with Kingsbury ? he looks more like King-spare-me, because we relegated him to the "Spare me to death" list forever

I hope he comes here. It would fill the gap after Sefo's injury for sure.
If he doesn't, I'm hoping the Montez era kicks off with a bang. But I'd rather see Webb than Montez this season.
His presence and potential draft status would be a huge shot in the arm for years to come.

Bye Felicia

http://www.californiagoldenblogs.co...is-webb-texas-tech-qb-transfer-heading-to-cal

InsideCoaches.com believes that Texas Tech Red Raiders quarterback Davis Webb is going to transfer to Cal.

On Saturday sources close to Davis Webb confirmed he has made the decision to transfer to the University of California. INSIDE Coaches also confirmed Davis would make it public this coming week before graduation.

After originally deciding on Colorado, Webb visited Cal a few weeks ago along with Auburn. It sounds like he's done enough to change his opinion on where he should go. Nothing is confirmed yet but this sounds promising.

Webb had a decent first two seasons in Texas Tech in 2013 and 2014, completing 62% of his passes and putting up 46 touchdowns to 22 interceptions in two seasons. Webb struggled with injury and lost his starting job. His best performance came against Arizona State in the Holiday Bowl.

Back