What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Would incremental improvement in football get you excited?

What it would take to get you fired up

• Major Splash in BOTH results & recruiting

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • Major Splash in EITHER results or recruiting

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • Incremental Improvement in BOTH results & recruiting

Votes: 64 58.7%
  • Incremental Improvement in EITHER results or recruiting

Votes: 9 8.3%

• Total voters
You did see the games with Utah and Oregon State last year right? Let me refresh your memory OSU 44 CU 17 and Utes 24 CU 17. Don't let the score of the Utah game fool you, Utah was up 21-0 before they shut it down thinking the game was over and then learning they couldn't do that. If CU manages to lose by less than 10 to the Beavs then that is a HUGE improvement. Beating Utah at home....OK, it is possible, but Utah was as young as CU last year and their O line and QB's come back with experience this year, so I expect they make similar improvements as the Buffs and CU loses by a similar score.

I think you're applying some very selective memory to both of those games. CU was definitely in the OSU game. We outplayed OSU in the fist half, and collapsed in the 2nd half. CU had the ball with a chance to tie the game late against UU, and fell short. Both of those games will be in Boulder this year. I'm not predicting wins, but I also think we stand a much better chance than you seem to believe.

I think you're applying some very selective memory to both of those games. CU was definitely in the OSU game. We outplayed OSU in the fist half, and collapsed in the 2nd half. CU had the ball with a chance to tie the game late against UU, and fell short. Both of those games will be in Boulder this year. I'm not predicting wins, but I also think we stand a much better chance than you seem to believe.

Yep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, not talking on a game to game matchup basis but if you compare how we played last year in losses to how we played the year before (and in recent prior seasons) the improvement was huge.

We did get blown out in a number of games but unlike prior seasons team had to work to blow us out. In many of those games prior to last year we were done before the kickoff, see the Fresno embarrassment as exhibit number one. Last year we had games in which we competed through the first quarter before finally running out of talent and energy in the second or third quarter.

If we see even a third the improvement this year that we did last year we are going to be in some games at the end that were clear losses last year.

I don't mean to sound too down (mostly I like this staff). I expect us to beat UMASS, but I still think we are very young and inexperienced. My point being, I don't have high expectations this year and plan to not panic if we lose a game or two we shouldn't.

I think MM will have the team ready and they will likely beat UMASS comfortably, but I hate the fact that it is:

1. On the road (on the east coast).
2. The week after the emotional season opener against the in-state rival.
3. Against a team that gets their shot at a Big 5 team that they probably think they can beat.

Where is Admiral Ackbar when you need him?

I think MM will have the team ready and they will likely beat UMASS comfortably, but I hate the fact that it is:

1. On the road (on the east coast).
2. The week after the emotional season opener against the in-state rival.
3. Against a team that gets their shot at a Big 5 team that they probably think they can beat.

Where is Admiral Ackbar when you need him?

Admiral Ackbar.jpg

You did see the games with Utah and Oregon State last year right? Let me refresh your memory OSU 44 CU 17 and Utes 24 CU 17. Don't let the score of the Utah game fool you, Utah was up 21-0 before they shut it down thinking the game was over and then learning they couldn't do that. If CU manages to lose by less than 10 to the Beavs then that is a HUGE improvement. Beating Utah at home....OK, it is possible, but Utah was as young as CU last year and their O line and QB's come back with experience this year, so I expect they make similar improvements as the Buffs and CU loses by a similar score.

"Brandin Cooks (Belitnekoff winner) caught nine passes for 168 yards and two touchdowns for the Beavers (4-1, 2-0 Pac-12), and had five carries for 47 yards. (Specifically one 50/50 ball that broke the Buffs' backs)

Colorado (2-1, 0-1) played its first game in three weeks. Flooding postponed the Buffaloes' Sept. 14 game against Fresno State, in addition to a bye week."

This. Pretty sure neither of these things is going to happen this year.

Sean Mannion can still take over a game if needed. Oregon State smoked us in the second half, there was no collapse.

Sean Mannion can still take over a game if needed. Oregon State smoked us in the second half, there was no collapse.

It was both. I was extremely impressed with how well Mannion threw the ball in that weather. On the other side, Wood couldn't handle the wet ball and completely lost his composure.

Where I blame HCMM is that the team was flat. Should have been excited to play with an undefeated record and coming off a break. They didn't handle it well. Oregon State was a one dimensional offense playing in inclement weather. You've can't get rolled against that.

So our Buffs are the #1 most experienced team in the Pac12 next year, and 18th in the country. Az state last. Maybe playing them early is a good thing.
http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/73319/is-the-pac-12-inexperienced

Does this change any minds? i think it counts for something.

Nice stat, thanks for sharing the link. I don't think it changes my mind but it plants one of Obama's seeds of hope. Maybe I went to too many Notre Dame vs Air Force games as a kid and realized experience usually mattered for squat. I definitely hope the Buffs make that huge leap to 6 wins, but I would be happy with four because I still see it as an improvement even if most wouldn't.

Nice stat, thanks for sharing the link. I don't think it changes my mind but it plants one of Obama's seeds of hope. Maybe I went to too many Notre Dame vs Air Force games as a kid and realized experience usually mattered for squat. I definitely hope the Buffs make that huge leap to 6 wins, but I would be happy with four because I still see it as an improvement even if most wouldn't.

The problem with "4" isn't that it wouldn't represent an improvement. It would. But only those who look at things closely would notice that improvement. To 99% of observers (including recruits), it would be seen as a repeat of 2013 and maybe causes a belief that this is program is a perpetual loser.

I don't think we can afford to win fewer than 5. And we really need to win 6 or more.

Are you going to address questions about your previous post? Experience matters when you're playing on the road, it's a different mindset and routine compared to a home game. Another problem I see is you don't seem to be taking into account the whole home/road dynamic. Not saying we beat ASU but it's a lot different playing in Boulder vs. Corvallis/SLC. Plus, I'm not impressed with Wittingham at Utah, the guy had trouble beating Embree...

The problem with "4" isn't that it wouldn't represent an improvement. It would. But only those who look at things closely would notice that improvement. To 99% of observers (including recruits), it would be seen as a repeat of 2013 and maybe causes a belief that this is program is a perpetual loser.

I don't think we can afford to win fewer than 5. And we really need to win 6 or more.

I'd love to see 6 wins but don't think it's going to happen. 4-5 is most likely.

If they could pull 6 I think they end up with 7. 6 wins would put us in the lowest end of the PAC bowl slots, most likely the New Mexico. This would mean we are playing a 6-7 win MWC team (maybe even the sheep.) Unlike Leach and Wazzou a Buffs team under M2 isn't likely to figure out how to lose to a bad MWC team in a bowl game.

If we did pull it off it would be huge from a PR standpoint. We would be the team that went from worst in college football to a bowl winner in 2 years which is the kind of story the media loves and recruits eat up.

Meh, it probably helps with respect to discipline and picking up fewer bad penalties, but no one on the team has more than 12 starts under this staff/system.

I'm chilling out at TCU Amon Carter today.

This $168M renovation of the 47,000 capacity stadium has some nice attributes.

Big concession areas with flat screen TVs all over the place.
Escalators as well as elevators to the upper deck.
A robust wireless distributed antenna system so nobody is out of a signal.

Seatbacks between the 20's. The low seats have plenty of leg room. So much, in fact, that nobody needs to stand up to let somebody go by.

There are 7 different types of seats.
- flat aluminum bleachers without seat backs. The area where the band sits has asymmetrical spacing to allow room for the drums and big brass. Student sections have this.
- flat aluminum seats with flat aluminum backs. These are the entry level seats up high in the corners
- plastic fold-up seats with armrests and a drink holder with abundant legroom and width for fat asses. These are between the 20s
- plastic fold ups with a little less space between rows
-outdoor private logge boxes with upholstery.
- club seating (locked. No idea about appointments)
- special needs seating. There is room for 100 hoverchairs. Disabled people have it easy here. There are a bunch of courtesy carts which can cruise the concourse to help the blue hairs

The stadium looks big enough to sit 50,000 plus, but the generous seat spacing sacrifices attendance and noise for comfort.

These enhancements class up the joint, (aside from purple koolaid colors) and should be evaluated for a Folsom bleacher overhaul.

ana5ubeg.jpg
u2yhe8a3.jpg
tu8e5ajy.jpg
azugujem.jpg
ja8a5agy.jpg
ybe2adu3.jpg
eqebe6ej.jpg
2a4yju5u.jpg
retybeza.jpg

About the campus:
Impressive tennis facility. 18 courts in total. Tennis facility won design awards from US Tennis Association. Courts are down low surrounded by big grassy hills on all sides that provide amazing spectator views and enough capacity to host big tournaments.

Modern fan friendly baseball stadium, that is being used today for a tournament of 17 year olds looking for scholarships. The design is like a minor league grand stand that wraps from the far ends of both dugouts. It was a luxury to sit in the shaded bleachers and catch a few innings. With TCU in the CWS, it is clear that the frogs take baseball serious enough. Lots of banners to inform you of various conference championships and NCAA appearances.

TCU is a sports first school, and it shows.

Other notes: there are two playgrounds on campus for little kids. One is part of an on-campus child developmental program that appears to also serve as a small elementary school. The other playground is near the track, soccer, baseball and tennis facilities.

The campus clearly has multi-generations of fans in mind, with obvious consideration to old (and perhaps wealthy donors) as well as young families.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back