What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

WOW: RIP Rashaan Salaam (funeral service on Fri 12-9)

One VERY important thing to note (and I worked in newspapers for 15 years): the reporter or columnist never writes the headline for their article/column. That's done by the copy desk or an editor. Often times long after the writer is gone. I've seen MANY heated arguments when a writer thought the copy desk screwed their story with a bad headline.

Also, read the column. It ain't that bad. He talks about the weight of the Heisman for a couple lines at the end. And who knows, maybe he's sorta right ... its a massive burden to bear, a lot to live up to ... and the Heisman winners who have failed as pros has long been a hot topic, among fans and the media. Not like its some crazy supposition ...

One thing to note (and I worked in newspapers for 15 years): the reporter or columnist never writes the headline for their article/column. That's done by the copy desk or an editor. Often times long after the writer is gone. I've seen MANY heated arguments when a writer thought the copy desk screwed their story with a bad headline.

Also, read the column. It ain't that bad. He talks about the weight of the Heisman for a couple lines at the end. And who knows, maybe he's sorta right ... its a massive burden to bear, a lot to live up to ... and the Heisman winners who have failed as pros has long been a hot topic, among fans and the media. Not like its some crazy supposition ...

One VERY important thing to note (and I worked in newspapers for 15 years): the reporter or columnist never writes the headline for their article/column. That's done by the copy desk or an editor. Often times long after the writer is gone. I've seen MANY heated arguments when a writer thought the copy desk screwed their story with a bad headline.

Horrible headline.

Columnist also draws conclusions, running with a theory about "why" and patronizing us about how we should feel/react.

All this ahead of the police/coroner even ruling on an official cause of death. Kiszla has less tact than Bill Maher. And his lack of integrity as a journalist was proven years ago. I'm sorry, but as much as I don't want this thread to be about this and I'm regretting my initial post, I can't let this go (though I'm also not going to give it more attention by making it into its own thread).

He doesn't know Rashaan. He hasn't spoken to him recently. He is not qualified to make suggestions of "why". He has never shown himself to have an ounce of human decency (see "Bichette, Dante" among lowlights by a career hack). This is nothing more than taking an angle on a story that ties it in with the hype right now around the Heisman to draw clicks and attention. It's profiteering from a whore of a writer working for a whore of a paper.

With that, I'm done.
Would be nice to see more tweets re-posted from some of his friends and teammates. I've been tearing up on repeat as new ones have been gone out today.

What a ****ing idiot piece of himan excrement.

I rarely say things like this in seriousness, but if Mark Kiszla walked in front of bus tomorrow, the world would be a better place. **** him.
The saying only the good die young fits quite well here.

RE the Kiszla article. It's not what I would have written, but I didn't think it was that bad. He's trying to make sense of something awful and everyone does that in a different way.
I've been thinking about this all day. Salaam is only the second person in my life that I've felt a connection with that has committed suicide (granted the first was a much more personal connection). In both cases I just can't imagine why. I look at the clips today of Rashaan surrounded by tens of thousands of adoring fans 20 years ago and think of him alone in that parking lot and it just doesn't make sense to me. How does someone get from there to here? And how did we let them get to here? And why didn't they reach out to us? And why didn't we see it coming? We would have helped!!!

In the end, there aren't really answers. But we need to mourn. We need to celebrate. And we need to learn.

I'm sorry to Rashaan's friends and family. How awful it must be.

The Buffalo family is with you. I wish I could be there tomorrow to show my condolences. I'm not a particularly religious person, but I did stop by St. Dominic's Church in San Francisco to light a candle in Rashaan's honor on the way home from work today. If someone could lay a flower or light a candle for me at the remembrance in Boulder tomorrow, I'd be appreciative.

I said it earlier in the thread, but may he rest in peace. My thoughts are with his friends and family.

Wow! Is this correct? The first Heisman winner of the last 55 years to die? That would mean, until today, every Heisman winner since 1960 is still alive.

One of my favorites just like most here as well. I have his jersey and wear it every single Saturday during football season, done this for a long time. Not sure I'm going to wear it anymore or not. Saddened and thoughts go out to his family and friends. 94 was one fun year to enjoy. That's what I'll remember the most.

It would be nice if the football team and 11,000 other students packed the CEC tonight and did a tribute to Rashaan

RE the Kiszla article. It's not what I would have written, but I didn't think it was that bad. He's trying to make sense of something awful and everyone does that in a different way.
I've been thinking about this all day. Salaam is only the second person in my life that I've felt a connection with that has committed suicide (granted the first was a much more personal connection). In both cases I just can't imagine why. I look at the clips today of Rashaan surrounded by tens of thousands of adoring fans 20 years ago and think of him alone in that parking lot and it just doesn't make sense to me. How does someone get from there to here? And how did we let them get to here? And why didn't they reach out to us? And why didn't we see it coming? We would have helped!!!

In the end, there aren't really answers. But we need to mourn. We need to celebrate. And we need to learn.

I'm sorry to Rashaan's friends and family. How awful it must be.

The Buffalo family is with you. I wish I could be there tomorrow to show my condolences. I'm not a particularly religious person, but I did stop by St. Dominic's Church in San Francisco to light a candle in Rashaan's honor on the way home from work today. If someone could lay a flower or light a candle for me at the remembrance in Boulder tomorrow, I'd be appreciative.

I said it earlier in the thread, but may he rest in peace. My thoughts are with his friends and family.
Your post really moved me. I have been upset and have looked for everything on the internet that I could find about Rashaan. I even went on his facebook page to see what he put there. I had a close friend's parent who we travelled with on vacations commit suicide and that is why I identified with your post. I keep asking myself the same question.... how does Salaam get from 1992 to today? He and Fauria patted me on the back while I was handcuffed to the CU bench when they finally left the field after the Michigan hail Mary.... one of them yelled... "Don't worry, we will get you out!" My face was painted and I wore the "Grand Poohbah" Buffalo hat like I did for every single game I attended so they recognized me from Boulder......

Damn man.... Damn....

I wish I could be in Boulder just to grieve... Ill have to do it here.... I was even showing my son (9) You Tube videos of Salaam....

Man this sucks.

Thinking about the terribleness of this tragedy makes you take stock. I did not know Rashaan personally but a bunch of high fives back in the day along with seeing him in news articles and events hosted there in Boulder. What a great Buffalo. I really wish he would have asked or approached someone for help. The help is there for people that are having these thoughts. He could have walked in the Dal Ward or Champions Center building or any building for that matter and he could of had help. Sad that someone so young, talented and seems to be such a good person has to be lost like this. Guarantee Coach Mac or HCMM or even some old teammates would have done anything to have helped him through these tough times. Maybe pride? kept him from seeking help. All I can do is hope he has found peace.

Thinking about the terribleness of this tragedy makes you take stock. I did not know Rashaan personally but a bunch of high fives back in the day along with seeing him in news articles and events hosted there in Boulder. What a great Buffalo. I really wish he would have asked or approached someone for help. The help is there for people that are having these thoughts. He could have walked in the Dal Ward or Champions Center building or any building for that matter and he could of had help. Sad that someone so young, talented and seems to be such a good person has to be lost like this. Guarantee Coach Mac or HCMM or even some old teammates would have done anything to have helped him through these tough times. Maybe pride? kept him from seeking help. All I can do is hope he has found peace.
Unfortunately, your sentiments are echoed every time there is a suicide. Hopefully many have been prevented because someone did seek help. Maybe the best thing that can come out of this, if anything good can, is that it raises awareness.

Reading the posts and the sentiments about seeking help are all on target. However, if he was dealing with CTE, that changes everything. If he sustained brain swelling due to repeated blows to the head while he was playing, he was not himself. He was probably dealing with dementia and other ailments that robbed him of his ability to act in a rational manner.

Well I don't have the words really, I was shocked to hear. My heart goes out to him, his family, friends, and fans too. We lost a great one. RIP big dog.

This. I was photo and used to pull a shift as photo editor late at night on the weekends. We all sat together in an open news room. The copy desk chicks always bounced their headline ideas off of us. Making fit the space allotted with a large type size was an additional challenge. Time running out was another as individual pages and sections had various deadlines as the night wore on.

Salaam is only the second person in my life that I've felt a connection with that has committed suicide (granted the first was a much more personal connection). In both cases I just can't imagine why.
It is difficult for others to understand why, but folks in that condition don't reach out for help mostly due to shame...esp someone like Rashaan who has had so much success. Plus they have a deep seated belief their life is not worthwhile, which is kinda crazy cuz I'm sure if he would never hold that opinion of another human being.

Mental illness is disastrous and those who have never suffered from clinical depression or had constant suicidal ideation can't relate...and trust me that is a good thing. I'm guessing he was in so much pain even the thought of hurting his loved ones with his death couldn't change his mind.

He is and will continue to be greatly missed.

Unreal. I have no words for this. Until now, I didn't realize he was an even better person.

Until you've walked a mile in those shoes, dont judge.

An acquaintance I was friendly with from high school. A childhood friend I used to ride bikes and play with, during college. A friend from CUs class of 94 just a couple of years ago. A 15 year old kid, child of a neighborhood friend, a few weeks ago. None made sense. All were hurting deeply inside. But for the grace of god go I.

Until you've walked a mile in those shoes, dont judge.

An acquaintance I was friendly with from high school. A childhood friend I used to ride bikes and play with, during college. A friend from CUs class of 94 just a couple of years ago. A 15 year old kid, child of a neighborhood friend, a few weeks ago. None made sense. All were hurting deeply inside. But for the grace of god go I.
Just in case it came across that way, I most certainly am not passing any judgement.

In memory of Rashaan today, I watched the entire '94 Texas game.... and decided that I am going to be a nicer, more empathetic person today. The latter is serious. I am really rocked by this. I am not the type to idolize athletes because I know many.... but this is different. This is someone from college that I had a minimum amount of contact with.... and even though it was minimal, he was a really nice guy.

In memory of Rashaan today, I watched the entire '94 Texas game.... and decided that I am going to be a nicer, more empathetic person today. The latter is serious. I am really rocked by this. I am not the type to idolize athletes because I know many.... but this is different. This is someone from college that I had a minimum amount of contact with.... and even though it was minimal, he was a really nice guy.

To the bold: that is the thing I have seen constantly repeated. Not just the past couple days, but whenever someone talked about Rashaan. A bit introverted and seemed more comfortable 1-on-1 than in the spotlight. Had his struggles and disappointments. Overcame much of that. Loved our community. But most of all, Rashaan Salaam was a really nice guy.

I have been looking up the twitter feeds of former Buffs this year as the season gained momentum. Seeing Kordell's along with those like Chris Fowler, Ted Johnson, Chad Brown and Chris Naeole's yesterday all just made it more sad.

As a grad student in '94 my good friend and I went to all the home games that year, road tripped to Lincoln, stormed the field after the ISU game and went to Phoenix for the Fiesta Bowl. The reason I am so invested in this team today is because of the memories of that season that he was the centerpiece of. Being from San Diego and living there now he is one of a couple of people that I would have stopped and asked to take a picture with. Hearing of his passing really gets to me.

Back