What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

WTF is happening in Texas?

scoob

I think we all know we are probably never going to consistently win the state of California in the PAC12 for football recruits.

So how to compete annually in this conference? Ok, most here have known the answer for a long time, but please indulge me.

You hire a ****ing dynamic recruiter from the state of Texas and do more than pay lip service to the importance of recruiting the state. Ok, new facilities and a few wins help too.

Anyway, so far in the '17 recruiting cycle the PAC12 has received verbals from a grand total of 17 TX recruits:

CU - 8
Utah - 5
ASU - 3
USC - 1

Four P12 programs have a verbal from Texas.

But what about quality? Of the 17 recruits, two are 4*, 13 are 3* and two are 2*. As you probably know, CU has both the 4* and neither of the 2* (they will both be spending the next four years in SLC).

CU is not done either. CU will probably have a majority of TX commits by the time they are finished.

Until I did a little research (all these figures are from scout.com), I had no idea how little the PAC12 recruited Texas.

Keep this up and the rise will be sustained for a long time.

I think we all know we are probably never going to consistently win the state of California in the PAC12 for football recruits.

So how to compete annually in this conference? Ok, most here have known the answer for a long time, but please indulge me.

You hire a ****ing dynamic recruiter from the state of Texas and do more than pay lip service to the importance of recruiting the state. Ok, new facilities and a few wins help too.

Anyway, so far in the '17 recruiting cycle the PAC12 has received verbals from a grand total of 17 TX recruits:

CU - 8
Utah - 5
ASU - 3
USC - 1

Four P12 programs have a verbal from Texas.

But what about quality? Of the 17 recruits, two are 4*, 13 are 3* and two are 2*. As you probably know, CU has both the 4* and neither of the 2* (they will both be spending the next four years in SLC).

CU is not done either. CU will probably have a majority of TX commits by the time they are finished.

Until I did a little research (all these figures are from scout.com), I had no idea how little the PAC12 recruited Texas.

Keep this up and the rise will be sustained for a long time.
The Pac 12 needs to raid Texas more to make up for the growing drain of top end western talent that is going to programs like Ohio St or Alabama.

Pretty much just plain common sense.
Certainly nothing earth shattering here. I guess the eye-opener for me was that we are really not even competing against the PAC12 for most of these recruits.

I figured USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington would each have two or three TX recruits as well. Is this typical?

Right on, Scoob
tumblr_nj1qjkVGQE1u9qln6o1_500.jpg

Certainly nothing earth shattering here. I guess the eye-opener for me was that we are really not even competing against the PAC12 for most of these recruits.

I figured USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington would each have two or three TX recruits as well. Is this typical?

No doubt, and it is definitely worth repeating.

And it is actually not that out of the ordinary for the other schools. ASU has tried to have a bigger presence in Texas since Graham has ties there from his days at Rice, but it really has not panned out.

But for CU, recruiting Texas is absolutely vital for being a successful program, no way around it. I do not think it is merely a coincidence that our decline began when Hawkins basically ignored Texas.

Could be wrong but seems like UCLA pulled some guys out of Texas the last couple years, maybe that is different this year due to coaching changes. Also Oregon and Utah recruit it pretty well. USC recruits nationally but routinely pulls guys out of Georgia and Florida so maybe Texas isn't as big of an emphasis. I have been saying for a couple years now that Colorado could differentiate itself from the rest of the conference by using Texas better. The West Coast schools use poly recruiting to their advantage and Colorado needs to use Texas to it's advantage.

It doesn't hurt that UT is a dumpster fire right now and bailer isn't far behind. The door is open for a lot of other teams to get a lot of talent out of that state right now.

Colorado needs to use both Poly and Texas to it's advantage. Make Colorado cool again and kids will come from about anywhere.
I'm not surprised we are recruiting well at 5-2. I'm surprised we recruited well before the Rise was Real, after last year's **** show. Chev was selling ice cubes to Eskimos in Texas this summer (or perhaps Parkas to Desert Dwellers)! Unreal.

Stanford has pulled kids from tejass in recent cycles. Historically, other than u$c, 'furd has had the widest recruiting footprint, altho the level of athletes has changed in this last decade.

Under Mike Riley, OSU would routinely get players out of Texas (e.g. Rodgers brothers).

Colorado needs to use both Poly and Texas to it's advantage. Make Colorado cool again and kids will come from about anywhere.
I'm not surprised we are recruiting well at 5-2. I'm surprised we recruited well before the Rise was Real, after last year's **** show. Chev was selling ice cubes to Eskimos in Texas this summer (or perhaps Parkas to Desert Dwellers)! Unreal.

Yep. Need to continue working on the Poly recruiting, but getting back into Texas is big. What Chev has done is actually pretty amazing. Top 25 recruiter, no doubt about it.

They put emphasis on Texas and have backed it up on the field. That's a double bonus there. All these guys can see it with all the media stuff these days. Just keep taking care of business and we'll finish with a very strong class. People are paying attention to CU now. Credit to everyone involved.

Jim Jeffcoat went down to the West Texas Town of El Paso to recruit someone else a couple of years ago, and plucked out a jewel now known as "Steven Montez".

If you are referring to my post, I was not saying that we shouldn't recruit Poly kids, just that the West Coast schools will always have an advantage there while Colorado should always have an advantage with Texas kids.

If you are referring to my post, I was not saying that we shouldn't recruit Poly kids, just that the West Coast schools will always have an advantage there while Colorado should always have an advantage with Texas kids.

Colorado is at the same disadvantage on the West Coast as they are in Texas. In fact, more of a disadvantage in Texas as we are not on TV nearly as much there as we are in California. I'm just not following your logic!

The West Coast schools use poly recruiting to their advantage and Colorado needs to use Texas to it's advantage.
This is the quote I'm addressing. While I concur that we have an advantage in Texas as compared to the other Pac12 schools, that seems like a worthless point. We have to compete against a bunch of schools in Texas to get kids in Texas so how is that more exploitable than getting kids from California? Not following your logic.

It doesn't hurt that UT is a dumpster fire right now and bailer isn't far behind. The door is open for a lot of other teams to get a lot of talent out of that state right now.

I don't follow. I know Baylor had a terrible off-season and lost recruits but they're 6-0 right now. Hardly a dumpster fire...now if they can't recruit worth a damn the next few years? Definitely down the drain for them.

I'm saying that within the PAC 12, which scoob brought up how other teams don't get that many kids out of Texas, that Colorado has an advantage over the west coast schools (excluding USC and UCLA). I also think that the west coast schools have an advantage over Colorado recruiting poly kids. Once again not saying we can't recruit poly kids just that they probably prefer to go to those other areas, as shown by recruiting recently in the conference.

Don't really understand why saying we have an advantage in conference recruiting Texas is a "worthless point," quite the opposite actually.

I don't follow. I know Baylor had a terrible off-season and lost recruits but they're 6-0 right now. Hardly a dumpster fire...now if they can't recruit worth a damn the next few years? Definitely down the drain for them.
That program is a dumpster fire. They're holding it together with band-aids and duct tape but the wheels will be coming off real soon. Nobody wants to send their kids there.

That program is a dumpster fire. They're holding it together with band-aids and duct tape but the wheels will be coming off real soon. Nobody wants to send their kids there.

Can't disagree. Just saying they aren't dumpster fire quite yet haha.

Whoever the college world's best poly special teams coach is....pay the man!!!

One clear advantage CU might have for getting Texas kids, is the proximity of Dallas to Denver compared to LA or San Francisco or Seattle. Flights back home from here are both quick and cheap (plenty under $200) with lots of airlines having multiple daily flights, and it also makes it easier for families to travel to Boulder to see games. If a Texas kid wants to stay in Texas, he will. But if he wants to play in the Pac but still be "close" to home, coming to CU is a great option.

Back