What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'10 CO ATH Danny Spond (Signed to Notre Dame)

Re: '10 CO ATH Danny Spond (Comitted to Colorado)

No issue. Spond shouldn't expect that he'd be the only QB CU would try to get. There's always going to be a handful around to compete with. It's not like this guy turned down USC for CU.

No issue. Spond shouldn't expect that he'd be the only QB CU would try to get. There's always going to be a handful around to compete with. It's not like this guy turned down USC for CU.

I agree, after all the kid comes from Columbine. They have 200 kids that play football at that school. He is use to competing.

I agree, after all the kid comes from Columbine. They have 200 kids that play football at that school. He is use to competing.
Ya and with all that competition the man started on varsity as the Quarterback as a sophmore. He split time with Kyler Brady but this guy is a freakish athlete and competes at everything. He played varsity baseball and basketball as a freshman. The man will compete for the Quarterback job at CU and his stock will rise. I bet with the camps he is going to and also Lowry might open up his playbook to show off his arm.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8CPPw2px_k"]YouTube - Danny Spond (Football)[/ame]

ESPN has an update on Spond dated June 28th. Positive stuff.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=70429&season=2010

They aren't sure he'll stay at QB, but overall very favorable. Couple highlights:

• This guy is a very competitive, athletic quarterback/athlete that could play a number of positions...

• As a runner, he has Tim Tebow-like qualities and fantastic measurables. Is built like a linebacker and plays the QB position like one too and we like that mentality.

• Regardless of position, Spond is a guy that you take based on the fact he has very good height/weight combination, he is athletic and he is just a darn good football player. His versatility is excellent and in the right scheme under the tutelage of a QB coach in the passing game we feel he has the chops to remain under center.

I know it's probably not likely, but I would really like to see Spond stay at QB unless Evans really lights it up. I think there's something to be said for having your best athlete under center.

I guess it all depends on how fast he can improve at QB.
I'm not sure if he's going to get the time he needs to develop there. Some kids need at least 2 years to get a handle at the QB spot.

His biggest drawback is that he plays at Columbine. They don't like to throw the ball much there.

His biggest drawback is that he plays at Columbine. They don't like to throw the ball much there.
The HC at Columbine is supposedly changing the offense a bit. I hear he's going to let Spond pass the ball more.

The HC at Columbine is supposedly changing the offense a bit. I hear he's going to let Spond pass the ball more.

I'll believe it when I see it.

I'll say this - his measurables are impressive. The kid has a strong arm, runs like a bull, and appears to have very good field vision. I'm impressed by his vids. I just may have to catch one of his games this year. Columbine is about a bajillion miles from Longmont, though, so it'll be difficult.

I think it is going to come down to the fact that Spond will be able to see the field at MLB soon versus having to wait if he stays at QB. That will be enough to convince him that MLB is the place for him. JMO.

I think it is going to come down to the fact that Spond will be able to see the field at MLB soon versus having to wait if he stays at QB. That will be enough to convince him that MLB is the place for him. JMO.

I see your point and I agree. Assuming that Evans redshirts this year, Spond would either have to out-perform Evans to get the starting job, or wait until his senior year to play. Middle linebackers shuttle in and out of the game all the time, and even if you're not the starter, chances are you're getting PT pretty early.

Still, the kid does have a lot of Tim Tebow - like qualities. That's pretty hard to defend.

He does have nice highlights on offense. TE is one other position that could be a possibility. A very good commit no matter where he ends up. He already has college-ready size.

I really wanted Spond and Evans with the offense that we ran last year. Now I am a little worried about being in more of a traditional I-formation pro style offense. I will be interested to see how these guys do in that offense.

TE? I would be a bit disappointed if Spond comes to CU to play TE, TBH.

I really wanted Spond and Evans with the offense that we ran last year. Now I am a little worried about being in more of a traditional I-formation pro style offense. I will be interested to see how these guys do in that offense.

I still am personally not even quite sure what the offense we ran last year was. I am sure that if we had a QB who was a capable runner that that skillset would be utilized.

TE? I would be a bit disappointed if Spond comes to CU to play TE, TBH.

I still am personally not even quite sure what the offense we ran last year was. I am sure that if we had a QB who was a capable runner that that skillset would be utilized.

I'm still convinced that last years offense was the same as 2007's. Only out of the gun.

He does have nice highlights on offense. TE is one other position that could be a possibility. A very good commit no matter where he ends up. He already has college-ready size.

Riar Geer was a HS quarterback, but with size/skills better suited for other positions. Spond sounds like he could be a similar type player.

Riar Geer was a HS quarterback, but with size/skills better suited for other positions. Spond sounds like he could be a similar type player.

Bigger,more athletic guy with blocking skills of drum and TE ability, I'll take it.

SIAP, but just found this on PrepTicket.

"Meet Danny Spond" video from Sept 2008. (very short)

http://community.prepticket.com/video/video/show?id=823292:Video:64532

552765.jpg

He was also at the game. There was probably around 10 recruits total... but unfortunately I have no info. They sat the recruits up way higher then last year

10! This cannot have a good outcome. We better fix this quick. :keule:

He was also at the game. There was probably around 10 recruits total... but unfortunately I have no info. They sat the recruits up way higher then last year

Its a downward spiral, that loss is having much greater repurcussions than just another Loss. All eyes were on CU and Coach Hack and he has proven to everyone that he is going nowhere.

Its a downward spiral, that loss is having much greater repurcussions than just another Loss. All eyes were on CU and Coach Hack and he has proven to everyone that he is going nowhere.

You can't out-guess the way a 17 year old thinks. Sometimes they see a game like the one we all witnessed and say "hey, I could contribute here." Seriously, you just don't know. It's not the end of the world.

I hope they were sitting with some hot co-eds and were not watching the game too much :smile2:

Now, more than ever, I really want to see Spond get a legit chance to compete for the QB job.

Back