What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'10 CO ATH Danny Spond (Signed to Notre Dame)

Re: '10 CO ATH Danny Spond (Comitted to Colorado)

FWIW I believe he went 1/3 in his first game. 3 passing attempts. Ouch

I think the only way he ends up playing QB is if the option is brought in. I just don't see how he isn't a bigger project than Clark Evans is right now at QB.

Spond will need quite a bit of work at QB. It's too bad he wasn't able to work with a QB coaching guru this summer like so many of the California kids do. He's got all the physical tools to be a good QB and he's got the intelligence and work ethic that should lead to quick improvement. I'm willing to give him a long look at QB. Remember, guys like Bret Favre and Jim Kelly played in option offenses in high school, got recruited primarily as linebackers, and ended up being able to apply their toughness and athleticism to the QB position and become college stars. Not putting Spond in that class (unfair to him and unrealistic at this point), just saying there is strong precedent for allowing an athlete like Spond to get a fair shot at being the QB.

Good points, I really have no insight or anything; just seems to me that if he's only getting the chance to toss the ball around 3 times a game in High School, then he's in for years of learning at the college level.

Spond will need quite a bit of work at QB. It's too bad he wasn't able to work with a QB coaching guru this summer like so many of the California kids do. He's got all the physical tools to be a good QB and he's got the intelligence and work ethic that should lead to quick improvement. I'm willing to give him a long look at QB. Remember, guys like Bret Favre and Jim Kelly played in option offenses in high school, got recruited primarily as linebackers, and ended up being able to apply their toughness and athleticism to the QB position and become college stars. Not putting Spond in that class (unfair to him and unrealistic at this point), just saying there is strong precedent for allowing an athlete like Spond to get a fair shot at being the QB.

Great insight...I hope Spond stays at QB if he signs the LOI to play for the Buffs.

Spond threw 5 td's last night againts TJ in the first half. Maybe TJ isn't all that good but the performance can't be ignore. He looked great in the pocket showing great athleticism and arm strength and accuracy. One of the scores was a roll out to the left throwing across his body for a 30 yard strike. On another score he fumbled the snap under center , picked it off the turf scrambled left, and completed a 10 yard TD pass. He's decisive, athletic, has incredible arm strenght and beast when running the ball. Sure, its was just one game, we all know how he can run, but when there's a need to throw, he's got the goods. Think about it...playing in an offense known for not throwing much, then coming out and completing 70% (best guess) of his passes for 5 scores in 24 minutes, now that's impressive. Check the stat line once its available. My best guess is that in the half that he played, he went 17-20-190yds 5TDs. Is Columbine starting to showcase this Kid's passing talents for Hawk? Or merely adjusing play to Columbine's diminutive OL? Either way, thank you Andy Lowry.

Spond threw 5 td's last night againts TJ in the first half. Maybe TJ isn't all that good but the performance can't be ignore. He looked great in the pocket showing great athleticism and arm strength and accuracy. One of the scores was a roll out to the left throwing across his body for a 30 yard strike. On another score he fumbled the snap under center , picked it off the turf scrambled left, and completed a 10 yard TD pass. He's decisive, athletic, has incredible arm strenght and beast when running the ball. Sure, its was just one game, we all know how he can run, but when there's a need to throw, he's got the goods. Think about it...playing in an offense known for not throwing much, then coming out and completing 70% (best guess) of his passes for 5 scores in 24 minutes, now that's impressive. Check the stat line once its available. My best guess is that in the half that he played, he went 17-20-190yds 5TDs. Is Columbine starting to showcase this Kid's passing talents for Hawk? Or merely adjusing play to Columbine's diminutive OL? Either way, thank you Andy Lowry.

Love hearing this, great report! :thumbsup:

Good stuff. High school players are absolutely dependent on what the coaches let them attempt. Good for Lowry loosening up and letting Danny show us what he can do.

Besides his athletic abilities, he carries a 3.9 GPA and is an all around great kid. He will be a great leader for the Buffs...I know Hawk understands this.

Besides his athletic abilities, he carries a 3.9 GPA and is an all around great kid. He will be a great leader for the Buffs...I know Hawk understands this.

I hope he is able to attend some of the folsom games. win or lose, it will give him a chance to connect with the other guys on the sidelines who will be his teammates for the coming years.

Really looking forward to seeing Danny in boulder.

Yeah, and despite being a DPS homer, I'm cheering for Columbine on danny's behalf. Go Rebels!

He plans to attend all the home games. He's good friends with Miller and Cunningham.

He'll get his shot at QB, but I really think he can be a great MLB in time.

Friday 9/11 vs. TJ, Spond went 11-15-147yds (73.3% completion) and 5tds and 5-28yds rushing

Friday September 18th vs. Regis Jesuit, Spond was 9 of 14 for 113yds including 1 TD pass to D. Mcdondle (RB) for 42 yards. He did have 1 interception. He was also 2 for 2 on field goal attempts from 40 and 46 yards.

Friday September 18th vs. Regis Jesuit, Spond was 9 of 14 for 113yds including 1 TD pass to D. Mcdondle (RB) for 42 yards. He did have 1 interception. He was also 2 for 2 on field goal attempts from 40 and 46 yards.

Yeah, but can he punt?

Well since you asked. 9 punts this year for a 45.33 yard average. Long in each game 62, 55, and 53 yards.

Danny is still solid with Colorado.

Solid Spond

SuperPrep.com (subscription) - Jeff Stroud - ‎18 hours ago‎
Looking forward to setting up my official to Colorado. I'm looking forward to CU." Current Buffaloes Ryan Miller and Curtis Cunningham were your teammates ...

The Columbine - AWest game is the game of the week this Friday on Altitude Sports Network at 7:30. They should be motivated to rebound after the Chatfield 16-13 heartbreaker last week. In that game, Chatfield forced 2 turnovers on consecutive drives to setup 10 of their 16 points. In the final drive Chatfield hit a 46 yarder to win the game with 10 seconds remaining. Spond ran for 178 yards and 2td's (runs of 43 and 64yds) closing out the loss in their final posession throwing up a couple of unsuccessful Hail Mary's to end the game.

I just turned this game on to watch him, the game was just in the 2nd half and he lead a drive capped off with a 21 yard TD run up the middle where he broke through the line but his burst to separate from the secondary (who he was going to beat anway) was really nice!

On TV he did not look like he was 220 pounds, not in a bad way, just that he carries that weight well distributed and could easily gaine 15-20 pounds of muscle weight in college.

He could play anywhere he wants. QB, TE, LB, or SS.

I think he would make a great MLB, but he could be a Tebow-esque QB.

He had a pretty decent night through the air as well. 6 for 7 93 yards and 2 tds. He rushed for 85 and the 1 rushing td.

watching the replay on ALT now, looks like he has some speed.

Cannot wait for him to be our next great MLB.

Back