What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'10 CO ATH Danny Spond (Signed to Notre Dame)

Re: '10 CO ATH Danny Spond (Comitted to Colorado)

Major seems a bit more like a strongside backer to me.
trooo... He is a bit small it seems to play the inside, but that sure didn't stop Dizon... Let's see tho... After this year, there is: (current year listed)

MIKE (INSIDE) LINEBACKER
10 Michael Sipili, 6‐1, 240, Jr.*

WILL (INSIDE) LINEBACKER
31 Jon Major, 6‐1, 220, Fr.‐RS
55 Josh Hartigan, 6‐1, 230, Soph.*

SAM (OUTSIDE) LINEBACKER
59 B.J. Beatty, 6‐2, 220, Jr.*
51 Douglas Rippy, 6‐1, 240, Fr.‐RS
58 Tyler Ahles, 6‐2, 240, Soph.*
43 Brandon Gouin, 6‐1, 220, Soph.

Currently RSing or buried:

48 Nobriga, Liloa LB 6-2 240 Fr. Summerlin, Nev. (Palo Verde)
35 Sissom, Geoff LB 6-1 220 Fr. Greenwood, Ind. (Center Grove)
56 Webb, Derrick LB 6-0 230 Fr. Memphis, Tenn. (Whitehaven)

a-40 Farley, Zackary OLB 6-1 215 So. Thornton, Colo. (Horizon/Mesa State)

57 Sergent, Guy OLB 6-1 220 RFr. Fountain, Colo. (Fountain-Ft. Carson)

Looks like (depending on the RS's) there is definitely some room for him to make some noise at MLB after RSing a year..

trooo... He is a bit small it seems to play the inside, but that sure didn't stop Dizon... Let's see tho... After this year, there is: (current year listed)

Looks like (depending on the RS's) there is definitely some room for him to make some noise at MLB after RSing a year..

It just seems from limited high school tapes I have seen, that Spond seems a bit smoother and bit more of a sideline to sideline guy. I like Spond's size and athleticism a bit more. Not a knock on Major by any stretch. They have Major at weakside, but I think he might be better suited at strongside and Beatty/Rippy better suited at weakside. I will be interested to see where Webb and Nobriga end up. Think there is a good chance Nobriga will be a DE before it is all said and done.

Last edited:

Don't we have some undersized Fr. walk-ons that we can put in there instead of these guys? It is after all, Hawks team.

Just a heads up. Danny got hit helmet to helmet tonight and carried of in an ambulance. Very eerie feeling. Going to be praying for him tonight.

Crap!! I hope he's alright. I'll send him a prayer as well.:sad1:

All my best to Danny and his family.

Karma sent.

:smile:

Hope this is just an extra-careful precaution and he's doing well soon.

Feel better, Danny!

It was such an eerie feeling. Being a student it was tough to see friends crying parents crying. The cameraman tried to get a shot of him and the place went bilistic. It is un called for to do that and should be fired. After the game, no one talked not one word was said. Sorry for saying the same exact thing but its hard when you know a kid that has to go through that.

Scary for parents, especially. Hard for everyone to watch.
The cameraman doing his job - Spond getting hurt is unfortunately news.

Let's hope some good news on this front tomorrow.

Best wishes to that young man.

Keep optimistic and let's hope that he is okay.

If anything good has come out of some of the big head injuries over the last few years it is that even at the HS level and below coaches and trainers have a much better awareness of the risk of head injuries and the importance of treating each one seriously. Back in my day (sounding like the old fart that I am) they would wave a couple of fingers in front of your face and if you could give them a number within four of what they held up you were back in the game.

A lot of guys never really got a chance to heal up and had their careers shortened as well as who knows what kind of long-term consequences. Now they are much more likely to hold a guy out for a longer period of time until they are sure that he is okay to go back to contact. The Broncos held out Ben Hamilton for an entire season compared to in the past when he would have been back in the game after a couple of weeks with a bunch of painkillers.

This is especially important at the HS level whether it is a kid with a future athletic career like Spond or just your neighbors kid who will never play again after HS. The head is to important to mess around with.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/30/sports/football/30dementia.html?_r=1&hp

A guy interviewed on PTI regarding this article stated his personal opinion that football will change dramatically in the next 10-15 years. With guys getting so much bigger and faster, the force with which they hit each other really hurts these guys. I think once we get a few more major, career-ending, traumatizing hits on the field, we'll start to see changes attempted. I don't know what they'll be though...or how they'll enforce it without a large outcry from players and fans alike.

Thank God, I'm glad he's OK. Best wishes on a speedy recovery, hopefully there are no lingering symptoms.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/30/sports/football/30dementia.html?_r=1&hp

A guy interviewed on PTI regarding this article stated his personal opinion that football will change dramatically in the next 10-15 years. With guys getting so much bigger and faster, the force with which they hit each other really hurts these guys. I think once we get a few more major, career-ending, traumatizing hits on the field, we'll start to see changes attempted. I don't know what they'll be though...or how they'll enforce it without a large outcry from players and fans alike.

Maybe they'll come up with a shoulder pad-mounted helmet, so the hit is spread to the shoulders, or something that accomplishes that.

Part of the problem is he suffered a concussion in the 2nd quarter and didn't want to get taken out of the game so he stayed in. He's a competetor and he's out for the season folks. Still praying.

Today's DP quotes Spond as saying " I'm going to be watching what the Buffs are doing their last 3 games" He now has Stanford on his mind.

Today's DP quotes Spond as saying " I'm going to be watching what the Buffs are doing their last 3 games" He now has Stanford on his mind.

Saw that article as well......losing and the potential change of coaches has Spond re-thinking about Stanford. :sad2:

Saw that article as well......losing and the potential change of coaches has Spond re-thinking about Stanford. :sad2:

I think your name violates the recruiting forum reminder rules :lol:

any thoughts to the fact he maybe getting gun shy about CU becuase we have three recruits coming in at QB and a guy on the roster who's game looks his in Clark Evans.

any thoughts to the fact he maybe getting gun shy about CU becuase we have three recruits coming in at QB and a guy on the roster who's game looks his in Clark Evans.

I have not doubt that Stanford used the Munchie commit to negative recruit against us. The timing of Spond's statements is just too coincidental to be a coincidence.

Not sure I buy into the theory that Spond is wavering because of other QB commits. The Stanford QB situation is much stacked against him than the one in Boulder. With Luck starting (and playing decently) as a redshirt freshman and three very young QBs behind him, I think Spond can see neither school is necessarily sold 100% on him staying at QB.

this is just getting even better. crappy recruiting and ****ty coaching are always a recipe for a top 10 program :rolleyes:

where did you see that rivals still has him

Both Rivals and Scout still show Spond as a Colorado commit. No front page stories stating otherwise.

Neither Rivals nor Scout's fan forums show any commentary or even speculation on Spond changing his mind, so if this is true hasn't hit the public yet.

Please be cautious about picking up and repeating a rumor unless you know and trust the source. I know that Danny has said he may re-open his recruitment, but until he officially decommits (and I hope he doesn't), I consider him a buff.

Related note: If it's Stanford that is the new destination that is being speculated, remember that they already have a commitment from Kain Coulter, Cherry Creek's 2010 QB.

rumors say gone. :smile2:

Some do. Others say he's opened it up and it's between Stanford and CU.

No one seems to be mentioning that Stanford has 24 verbals already. :smile2:

Back