What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'11 CO QB Brock Berglund (Signed to Kansas)

Uhh... better recruiters? I think people are forgetting that Hawk and friends were really good recruiters.

Really?

Based on what?

Can't be our class rankings or all the recruiting battles we won against BCS programs. Can't be the 2* classes he pulled in at Boise. You also seem to think the talent level on the team sucks based on the record you're predicting, so it can't be his knack for finding hidden gems. I'm very confused here.

Really?

Based on what?

Can't be our class rankings or all the recruiting battles we won against BCS programs. Can't be the 2* classes he pulled in at Boise. You also seem to think the talent level on the team sucks based on the record you're predicting, so it can't be his knack for finding hidden gems. I'm very confused here.
daaaah - always the contrarion and sometimes an idot

Your right we have had so many NFL draft picks since Hawk has been there, he really recruited some studs.

Hawk was trying to sell a program with a huge black eye and he did it pretty freaking well. Some of the highly rated guys he got in turned out to be duds or knuckleheads, were not developed well, or were driven away, but he did get some guys in here that other teams were going after. I think he did a commendable job in that department. Once everyone knows that you are going to be fired, it's pretty hard to recruit.

I just don't understand why we're saying that this new staff is going to be such great recruiters. Espescailly after we've been sold a fricken bridge by the last staff. Until these guys show me that they can out recruit the big programs (like Hawk's staff DID), I'm not going to say they are great. Sorry.

I think CU fans (particularly older CU fans) are getting too wrapped up in nostalgia. Kids being recruited now weren't even born when we won the national championship. They may be able to sell the program and their vision, but I'll wait and see before I start saying that they are such great recruiters.

Hawk was trying to sell a program with a huge black eye and he did it pretty freaking well. Some of the highly rated guys he got in turned out to be duds or knuckleheads, were not developed well, or were driven away, but he did get some guys in here that other teams were going after. I think he did a commendable job in that department. Once everyone knows that you are going to be fired, it's pretty hard to recruit.

I just don't understand why we're saying that this new staff is going to be such great recruiters. Espescailly after we've been sold a fricken bridge by the last staff. Until these guys show me that they can out recruit the big programs (like Hawk's staff DID), I'm not going to say they are great. Sorry.

I think CU fans (particularly older CU fans) are getting too wrapped up in nostalgia. Kids being recruited now weren't even born when we won the national championship. They may be able to sell the program and their vision, but I'll wait and see before I start saying that they are such great recruiters.

Does any of that ^ make sense?

took a look at who these guys recruited to CU and UCLA, me thinks they'll do better than hawk.

It will be a couple of years until we know how good Embree and staff are at recruiting to CU. What we do know is that Embree was a solid recruiter when he was a college assistant, EB was better than solid. We also know that Cabral was a better recruiter before Hawkins got here than he has been the past few years, I expect him to get back to that level with with the energy and personality of Embree backing him. Brown has been a top notch recruiter as well.

Point is the guys that Hawkins had on staff had only ever really recruited to Boise. They hadn't proven an ability to evaluate or recruit BCS level talent and in the end they mostly missed leading to the situation the team is in now. Embree, and most of his staff have a history of effectively recruiting at the BCS level, spending a few years in the pros is goingto enhance that history not diminish it.

Our numbers are small right now and probably will stay small this year but I think it says a lot about the new staff to see the guys we aren't taking as much as the guys we have.

JE and his staff are going to develop there players, unlike Hawk. Also, JE and EB have both been very successful recruiters at the college level.

This pisses me off to no end. There's something we're not being told. Maybe it's not any of our business, but there's something about this whole deal that stinks.

Just a guess but is religion a factor? Isn't Gill a pretty devout guy? I don't know BB, he does go to a Christian school.

Stuff happens, he's an 18 year old kid hearing stuff from all different directions and getting advice from people who have their own priorities in mind over his.

Agree with Sacky that there is something here that we don't know about, it would be interesting to find out what it is. Is KU telling him that at CU he would be handing the ball off 50 times a game and throwing it 10? Is someone from his HS connected with KU or really hate CU because CU didn't recruit them (CSU syndrome?)

On the other side did Embree tell him we want you but we also have another QB that we want just as much and you will have to compete with him for a spot?

I wanted and still want Berglund at CU but he isn't the second coming of Vince Young or Peyton Manning yet. If he doesn't want to come here they will find someone else to do the job, they may already have. The roster is fairly thin on QBs yet they dumped Sherry who looks like a pretty good QB. There is a lot of stuff that we don't know about despite all the services and media coverage of recruiting these days.

It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

Can't think that it looks good for Brock if he wants to win much in his college career. Gill didn't exactly set the world on fire last year and future Big XII schedules will include all the former south teams each year. I can't see KU consistenly beating OU or OSU, Texas will be back soon, aTm has loads of talent, Mizzou is still talented. KU is going to be battling ISU, KSU, and Baylor or Tech for the bottom of the conference each year.

At first I was kinda miffed at this turn of events. After thinking about it for a while, it seems the staff is trying to get the most bang for their buck this recruiting cycle.

Consider this -- we all know that the team needs more athletic talent. If the incoming class was around 25, instead of 14 or 15, you stand a better chance that some of the newbies would contribute early, or at least within the next year or two. You're more likely to have that happen when you have 25 bodies than with 14-15.

Perhaps the staff is being a bit more selective since they need to up the competition next year. Not certain, but jhmo.

I think I'll wait to see how this all turns out before I make a good/bad opinion in this case.

This pisses me off to no end. There's something we're not being told. Maybe it's not any of our business, but there's something about this whole deal that stinks.

I have a feeling Brock has been thinking of switching for a while. It makes no sense unless he really, really didn't like Embree after his visit. His comment about a change to the 'scheme' being a reason for switching simply doesn't add up considering a blind man could see a change was as essential as air or water. Perhpas embree said something about adding another QB to the class?

Hope Embree has a plan B cuz this decommit is particularly damaging to recruiting momentum.

Kansas sucks. Terrible decision. Maybe a church/christian thing, like some have suggested. I don't think there's much doubt these guys will recruit better than squawk, but they are stuck selling a team that's been losing too much. At least there's the playing time angle. I'll be shocked if we don't get a good RB in here this year for that reason.

Until these guys show me that they can out recruit the big programs (like Hawk's staff DID), I'm not going to say they are great. Sorry.

Surely, you cannot be serious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Valdez has been calling this one for months. I am surprised at how it all went down, but I am not totally shocked that he will be playing somewhere else.

The new staff has to fix QB recruiting PRONTO.

and didn't embree talk about closing down the borders at his introductory press conference? i know it was a few weeks ago, but i'm pretty sure he emphasized not only CA and TX but also to make sure the in-state high school talent stays in the state...this kind of goes against one of his bullet points.

It does. But he also flipped Mustoe off of UCLA. He's rated at as high as Berglund and we want Thurston from A-West next year. That's a bigger commit for us, actually, and a win against a more difficult program to recruit against.

There's more to the Berglund story than we'll ever know. And we're definitely over-reacting because it's a quarterback.

Back