What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

#11 CU v #6 UNLV - March 15th, 8pm MT - NCAA Tournament 2nd Round Game Thread

The guys on ESPiN just broke down the game. Except they never mentioned CU. Until Doug Gottlieb mentioned what a good player Anthony Roberson is.

Yeah, I wouldn't look for CU to get a lot of love in the next few days... :lol:
****! All this time I've been calling him "Andre!"

I'm really nervous. I think we have a chance but not too confident. I think we can do it after watching our games in person this week. The key is to play in control no matter the tempo. If we don't, we'll force shots and start a downward spiral. We need to win this game. One win in the tourney will help us a lot. A one-and-done and its does damage IMO.

I don't think anybody from WKU to Kentucky should be too confident now. It's officially March Madness and anything can happen. The thing we do know is Colorado is going into this tournament "Hot" and that is a good thing to be in the tourney.

Looking into the match up, they only have one really big guy who gets much minutes at all, and thats Brice Massamba, and he still only gets around 20 minutes a game. The only other good sized player they have who gets consistent game time and puts up big numbers is Mike Moser at 6'8". Mike Mosers their best player too, although he really struggles outside of statistically outside of Vegas. In addition, the entire team plays substantially worse on the road, and they haven't done much to prove their toughness on the neutral floor. If we can keep our focus and aggressiveness as solid as it was this week, as well as continue our strong defense to hold them back in their assists, we have a pretty strong chance.

UNLV may be the best team we've faced all year. Wichita State is a higher seed at 5, but the Rebels are good. The Buffs have to keep it up on the defensive end if they're gonna win this one. Hold the Rebels around 60 points and I like our chances.

UNLV may be the best team we've faced all year. Wichita State is a higher seed at 5, but the Rebels are good. The Buffs have to keep it up on the defensive end if they're gonna win this one. Hold the Rebels around 60 points and I like our chances.

Yup, control the pace.

UNLV at altitude this season:

@ Air Force, alt 7258ft: 65-63(OT), W
@ Wyoming, alt 7135ft: 66-68, L
@ Lambs, alt 5003ft: 59-66, L
@ New Mexico, alt 5312ft: 45-65, L

Altitude is definitely going to make a difference. Plus the Pit is a great venue, there's not much else going on in ABQ, so the locals will show up... and guess what, they sure won't be cheering for UNLV.

Last edited:
Good draw Buffs. UNLV can definitely be beat having watched them play a few times his year. The Rebels have some length, but if you can keep them from getting hot behind the arc that is a winnable game.

@ Air Force, alt 7258ft: 65-63(OT), W
@ Wyoming, alt 7135ft: 66-68, L
@ Lambs, alt 5003ft: 59-66, L
@ New Mexico, alt 5312ft: 45-65, L

Altitude is definitely going to make a difference. Plus the Pit is a great venue, there's not much else going on in ABQ, so the locals will show up... and guess what, they sure won't be cheering for UNLV.

The game has been sold out if not will be sold out. The NCAA loves the Pit. They modernized it last year so now it's not a ****** venue to watch a game in terms of facilities. Traps in the sound very well. UNMers love the MWC though and think it's the Big East/ACC. Ugh. Not sure how the crowd will react.

9News doesn't even have a mention that CU is an 11 seed, CSU is the top headline. ****ers

Another early preview...
(6) UNLV Rebels
Any concerns about how the Rebels would transition from Lon Kruger, who is now the head coach at Oklahoma, to first-year head coach Dave Rice have already been alleviated. Rice has guided the team to their third-straight tournament appearance. The team has really thrived in his system, which sees nine guys play 10 minutes or more. They’re led by UCLA castoffs Mike Moser and Chace Stanback. Moser, a sophomore averaging 14 points, 10 rebounds, two assists and nearly two steals, is one of the premier power forwards in the country and someone who NBA scouts will be watching closely. A victory out of conference against North Carolina proves that they can play with any team in the country. Overall, they were 7-5 against teams in the RPI Top 50. They shoot the three freely and push the tempo when the opportunity presents itself. As long as they defend well, they can string together some wins. They also have to make sure not to leave too many points at the free throw line, as they did in the regular season.

(11) Colorado Buffaloes
Although it doesn’t come with the same esteem that it used to, the Buffaloes are entering the NCAA Tournament as the Pac-12 tournament champs. Earning the guaranteed bid was the only way the Buffaloes were going to get into the tournament since the Pac-12 no longer warrants the several at-large bids like it used to. 2003 was the last time the Buffaloes were in the big dance. Their strength is in numbers as they have four different players averaging double figures, none more than 12. Sophomore forward Andre Roberson is their top prospect. He averaged a double-double on the year with 11 points and 11 rebound, while blocking nearly two shots a game. Carlon Brown, Austin Dufault and Spencer Dinwiddie deserve just as much attention because they can hurt you as well. Playing together is key for the Buffaloes, who are at their best attacking inside the arc rather than settling for shots outside of it. With a 6-5 record against the RPI Top 75, the Buffaloes are out to earn respect not only for themselves but their entire league.

HOOPSWORLD’s pick: UNLV. This is a game that could go either way. There’s NBA talent on both sides, but we give the Rebels the slight edge as they have more match ups they can take advantage of.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/6-unlv-vs-11-colorado-preview

#CUBuffs game time has been set CU-UNLV will tip after the Baylor-S.D. State game which starts at 5:27 p.m. so will be a little after 8 p.m.

lets turn down the bid and go to the NIT instead.

Not what I was implying. I'd rather us be in the Dance. I just hope that if we go one-and-done (I hope we do win) that it doesn't hurt the image that we've been building. I don't like to go quietly into the night.

Not what I was implying. I'd rather us be in the Dance. I just hope that if we go one-and-done (I hope we do win) that it doesn't hurt the image that we've been building. I don't like to go quietly into the night.

I doubt it. We didn't even make it last year. A win would help and of course we'd always take it, but even if we only ended up being Pac12 tourney champs and played 1 round in the NCAA in a "down" year would show we are going to be around for a while (hopefully!).

what are you talking about. before this season most were hoping for a deep NIT run at best. we're pac 12 champions and in the dance. win or lose, how does this possibly hurt the image of a program that hasn't made the tournament since 2003 and was supposedly rebuilding this year after losing 2 nba players and 70% of the offense.

it goes without saying that no one here wants to lose thursday but we should be happy we're here at all.

We're CHAMPIONS.

At this point, we're playing with house money and can just enjoy the ride. Pressure's off. Play loose and leave it all on the court.

Back