What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 CA TE Jalen Cope-Fitzpatrick (Signed to USC)

Not worried, i have seen Thornton and Slavin play in spring ball, they are going to be good. Mccolough(sp) can make the transition to TE. Alex Wood is also on the roster for 2012. Worst case scenario we can get some JUCO or transfers in to fill in the void.

You talk as if the sole purpose of recruting is just to fill up a depth chart. Were trying to win games and there's a thing called talent which is kind of importaint. To suggest that TE is not a big need for this class or that missing out on Cope-Fitzpatrick is not a big deal because we have a true freshman WR convert who had no other scholarship offers and a walk-on is unbelievably stupid. All those Pac-12 D-coordinators must be losing sleep over the thought of Alex Wood running post patterns to the endzone. And even if we did have more talent at the position we still have to have more then 2 or 3 scholarship TE's on the roster.

Not worried, i have seen Thornton and Slavin play in spring ball, they are going to be good. Mccolough(sp) can make the transition to TE. Alex Wood is also on the roster for 2012. Worst case scenario we can get some JUCO or transfers in to fill in the void.

Wow. Is this a serious post?

Very disappointing. We really need TE talent and depth. Lots of swings and misses lately.

I agree we have missed on alot of prospects this year so far but I hope people realize who we are competing with for these kids. We are going after much higher ranked recruits than we have been for the past 3-4 years. D II Dan and letting him gut the program last year by keeping him on as so-called HC is really hurting us right now. The schools we seem to be losing recruits to have been successful, some extremely so, recently and this makes a big difference, especially to a teenager. Still lots of time before NSD. The Buffs simply have to show something this year on the field to close these kids. I'm optimistic we will.

It's not good enough to just be in the top group, though. We have to close on some of these kids or we'll never climb out of the pit we're in.

I agree we have missed on alot of prospects this year so far but I hope people realize who we are competing with for these kids. We are going after much higher ranked recruits than we have been for the past 3-4 years. D II Dan and letting him gut the program last year by keeping him on as so-called HC is really hurting us right now. The schools we seem to be losing recruits to have been successful, some extremely so, recently and this makes a big difference, especially to a teenager. Still lots of time before NSD. The Buffs simply have to show something this year on the field to close these kids. I'm optimistic we will.

This is all correct.

As much as we would like to come in with a top 10 recruiting class kids all over the country are not dreaming of playing for Colorado. Unlike recent years this staff is going after a lot of guys who are "first choice" guys. These are kids who have choices as to where to go and many are going to be attracted by the idea of playing for the schools they have seen on Sportcenter every week.

A few of these kids are going to recognize the opportunity available at CU with the lack of depth currently on the roster and will be impressed with the connections our coaches have. Lots of others are going to ignore CU until CU gives them a reason to pay attention, meaning results on the field. What will be important right now are the kids in middle, the ones who have a strong pull towards the "name" programs but are willing to listen to other options. These are the kids that Embree and Co. have to make solid progress on.

We are already seeing some significant progress in having 5 quality commits before July including a legit QB. We are also on the consideration list of a lot of other quality kids, most of whom we will lose but any of them we get will be more than we would have under the grab late scraps strategy we saw under the last regime.

The big issue is going to be for this team to do something worth looking at for these kids. If we can put a team on the field that wins the games we should and competes against the teams that are better than us then some of these kids will see the opportunity and come over to our side.

It will be very interesting to follow this and to see what we end up with on LOI day. I know we will have some dissapointments, I am pretty sure we will have some pleasant surprises as well.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if JCF is one of those when all is said and done.

I can feel the sunshine...

This is all well and good, but this is going to be a big class. At some point soon, we need to pick up a few verbals from guys before the season starts. We cannot be counting on 20 verbals to magically appear after a good season because it just will not happen.

Also, as Sacky said, being close is not good enough.

this hurts. I guess I don't share the optimism that a few of our other posters on here do. Unfortunately I don't think we'll be able to flip him (unless we go bowling) and I think he sticks with the Trojans. furk.

Well hope we can flip him but I dont see how likely that is, the guy committed on the spot. Maybe the USC schollie situation will get him to change but I dont know enough about what they can do this year, they dont seem to care by the looks of it. We absolutely need TE help so hopefully we get at least 2 but Id be happier with 3.

This is all well and good, but this is going to be a big class. At some point soon, we need to pick up a few verbals from guys before the season starts. We cannot be counting on 20 verbals to magically appear after a good season because it just will not happen.

Also, as Sacky said, being close is not good enough.

I agree but in all honesty, if you were a top ranked recruit, with numerous options from Top 20 programs, would you? I love CU, am a 3rd generation alum and bleed B&G, but I can totally understand why these top recruits are going elsewhere. Other than location and early playing time available,why would a top 5 recruit committ to a school with a HC with no experience to draw off of? And I am a big JE fan but it's not surprising teenagers aren't yet. They just don't know enough about him to take a flyer on CU versus a Top 10-20 school.I think the only way we are going to get a good class is by winning on the field and showing recruits what we're all about. So 20 recruits ARE going to have to "magically" appear or we'll be like UCLA last year and not fill our class which is highly doubtful. I want commits as bad as anyone, and hate losing them to other schools, but what's happening with these top kids going elsewhere isn't really surpising. I think the staff JE came up with is made to recruit well but it may take longer than some of us want.

Word is that he probably won't be playing TE at USC.

I was kind of wondering about that. I can see them telling him he can play TE, only to move him after a few practices to DE.

I'm just so disappointed that he had just been at CU, loved it by most accounts, and wanted to return. Then USC just swoops in and offers months later than everyone else and bam, instacommit. I think half of my disappointment is stemming from the fact that USC barely even has to recruit some of these kids. 4* TEs are just waiting around for an offer from them.

Ssssssssoooooooo are we still in it?I think recruiting gets easier when classes fill up and coaches can say, "whomever commits first...."Well at sc w the scholarship limits, its probably like that on steroids. I imagine if they sit down with you, give you the tlc and then say commit or we can't wait for you, a recruit has to jump in with both feet. Buyers remorse can tend to happen later on and I wouldn't be surprised to see that here.

We need to flip this guy or Baylis. I like Caleb Smith and Sean Irwin, but JCF would seriously start next year imo.

...the Scout regional analysts actually do a good job IMO.

This.

The Scout regional analysts do an outstanding job! I think for players out West they are easily the best recruiting service to follow. I know Rivals is big for a lot of people here, but Rivals doesn't spend time in the West they way Scout does, at least not IMO...

love the comments at the bottom of that article Creatin posted: http://usc.ocregister.com/2011/06/23...-to-usc/70591/

"Avoid the hyphens at all cost. They’re momma’s boys. In all my years of coaching, I never met a hyphen who wasn’t a big momma’s boy. Took me years to figure this out but now I cut the hyphens on the first day of practice. Saves me hours of explaining to momma while her little darling isn’t playing."

hysterical....

love the comments at the bottom of that article Creatin posted: http://usc.ocregister.com/2011/06/23...-to-usc/70591/"Avoid the hyphens at all cost. They’re momma’s boys. In all my years of coaching, I never met a hyphen who wasn’t a big momma’s boy. Took me years to figure this out but now I cut the hyphens on the first day of practice. Saves me hours of explaining to momma while her little darling isn’t playing."hysterical....
Maurice Jones-Drew is pissed about this.

With USC signing 4 tight ends in the last two cycles I guess Cope-Fitzpatrick would rather ride the bench at USC or play another position than start as a TE at CU and quite possiby as a true freshman....Very frustrating especially considering our HC is a tight end and is running a pro style system. Seems that a lot of kids place more emphasis on the name and current ranking of a school than what the school can do for them. I hope he thinks about it and will decide CU is a better fit before Feb.

With USC signing 4 tight ends in the last two cycles I guess Cope-Fitzpatrick would rather ride the bench at USC or play another position than start as a TE at CU and quite possiby as a true freshman....Very frustrating especially considering our HC is a tight end and is running a pro style system. Seems that a lot of kids place more emphasis on the name and current ranking of a school than what the school can do for them. I hope he thinks about it and will decide CU is a better fit before Feb.

He will be flipped after the SC game and the Buffs win. Would be nice if Embo and Brookhart could get him here for an OV that weekend. Shove it in Kiffys Lamb ass.

The Scout regional analysts do an outstanding job! I think for players out West they are easily the best recruiting service to follow. I know Rivals is big for a lot of people here, but Rivals doesn't spend time in the West they way Scout does, at least not IMO...

Well which service do you trust for the analysis of Dillon? He is from out west, yet Scout has him rated *** lower than Rivals at #7QB ****. I'd say most of us here want to agree with Rivals.

Back