What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 CO PF Wesley Gordon (Signed to Colorado)

Some Gordon highlights and a brief interview with him and his coach. Basically the video
just shows him hitting layups and hook shots over 6 ft white kids, but its better then nothng.
His coach describes him as the best shot blocker he has ever coached which is notable because
he has spent several years as an assistant at D-1 college programs.

[video]http://www.premierball.com/wesley-gordon-highlight-interview-clip/[/video]

Last edited:
A tidbit from the denverpost....Gordon says that he "chose" CU over Arizona. They probably didint offer him, but its still nice to know that a big time program had shown some interest.

The sizes are all messed up. They go up or down an inch or so depending on what paper or website they are reported on.

The sizes are all messed up. They go up or down an inch or so depending on what paper or website they are reported on.

The usual difference between roster height and real height is 2 inches in basketball. Rule of thumb, not necessarily true.

Looks like he is pretty big and has a decent skill set. I hope the rest of his team sucks because they lost in the second round of the playoffs.

Rick Barry, a Colorado Springs resident and a member of the Basketball Hall of Fame, has seen Gordon play several times.

"I think Wesley is a game-changer," Barry said. "I don't know if I've seen anybody his size who can block shots the way he does. He's unbelievable. He's going to be a major force for them."

http://www.gazette.com/sports/sierra-114059-basketball-wesley.html

I see in that video that Rick is also teaching some kids in the springs how to shoot free throws.

Rick Barry, a Colorado Springs resident and a member of the Basketball Hall of Fame, has seen Gordon play several times.

"I think Wesley is a game-changer," Barry said. "I don't know if I've seen anybody his size who can block shots the way he does. He's unbelievable. He's going to be a major force for them."

http://www.gazette.com/sports/sierra-114059-basketball-wesley.html

Same article talks about him being contacted by a number of big conference schools, doesn't specify how serious those contacts were but some good names involved. Also a photo of him smacking down a shot, kid has absolutely huge hands and long, long arms.

ESPN has rated and evaluated Gordon. And they like what they see.

Bottom Line:
Gordon's defense and rebounding will allow him to impact the Buffalos next season while he keeps improving his offensive moves in the paint. His length and jumping ability make it tough to score over him, and he has a knack for rotating on defense to block shots from the weak side. Gordon's offense is rebound put backs, dribble penetration drop-down passes, running the floor and creating angles in the post.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/130276

ESPN has rated and evaluated Gordon. And they like what they see.

Bottom Line:
Gordon's defense and rebounding will allow him to impact the Buffalos next season while he keeps improving his offensive moves in the paint. His length and jumping ability make it tough to score over him, and he has a knack for rotating on defense to block shots from the weak side. Gordon's offense is rebound put backs, dribble penetration drop-down passes, running the floor and creating angles in the post.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/130276

Gordon won't have any impact on the floor what so ever for the Buffs next year, he is still a junior.

The year after however he could be a huge get. He has a full year to develop both physically and in terms of his skills. He is reportedly all of 6'8" already which is big for a college small forward. It is hard to predict but if he is still growing which seems to be the case even another couple of inches makes him a serious matchup problem for other teams.

We may end up being very happy that we got him early because he very well might have a lot of teams wish they had come after him next year.

hopefully he keeps growing and can get up to 6' 9" and 225 lbs or so. That would be nice as a SF/PF and can work in a nice rotation with dre his freshman year. Sounds like he has some work to do on his offensive game (and honestly so does dre), but if he can come in as a freshman and put up 8 ppg/6 rpg in about 20 minutes we should be happy.

Thanks, Nash.

I'll work on trying to find some more info tomorrow and will edit up your OP into the profile format.

Anyone have any insight into why it seems that Colorado Springs has more basketball talent than Denver? It makes absolutely no sense to me, but I haven't lived here all my life. (We'll split this off if it turns into a hijack, so don't worry about commenting.)

Awesome that the player that I created the thread for did actually commit to the Buffs.

I cannot wait to see what a team full of Boyle recruits can do for the Buffs.

If he is a Roberson clone, "**** yeah, shut up." Roberson is the future of this buffs team. The guy is going to be a superstar.

How much is the CU coaching staff able to work with these kids? I imagine since they limit the interactions of college kids, they highly limit the interactions of high school kids. But it would be nice for these guys to have a year to work on the areas that Boyle wants them to work on.

How much is the CU coaching staff able to work with these kids? I imagine since they limit the interactions of college kids, they highly limit the interactions of high school kids. But it would be nice for these guys to have a year to work on the areas that Boyle wants them to work on.

Not much. But Boyle is supposedly committing to really step it up with CU hosting basketball camps. They'll be able to work with them there. They will also be able to coach their coaches. Finally, there's absolutely no rule against these guys coming up to Boulder to play pickup games with the team in the offseason when the coaches aren't supervising.

Great write-up on Gordon by Josh Gershon of the Scout network. He's covering the Double Pump tournament in Lakewood, CO this weekend.

Day 1
Wesley Gordon, PF, Colorado Hawks: There’s a lot to like about the Colorado commitment. He’s got long arms, soft hands and an athletic build. He did a good job rebounding on the offensive glass and due to a lack of touches, mostly scored on putbacks. He moved up and down the court well and challenged shots on defense. Again, he didn’t get the ball much in the post so it was tough to get a feel for his skill level, but he’s got many of the qualities you’re looking for in a young post prospect.

Day 2
Wesley Gordon, PF, Colorado Hawks: It was another impressive performance for the Colorado commitment on Saturday night. His soft hands and positioning under the basket make him a good rebounder on both offense and defense. He’s not an elite athlete, but his long arms make up for it and get him a lot of tip-ins on offense and blocked shots on defense. After Grant Jerrett and Brandon Ashley, he’s in the running as one of the top post prospects on the West Coast.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1064776.html

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1065028.html

zzzbot (I think that's his name) has some good thoughts on the two in the basketball forum - thread is titled "The Show". I am excited about Gordon's potential, but I would like to see more of Scott. I think both are projects though. I have not seen either play in person.

What I like is from watching "The Show" is that they both have a very high ceiling to raise their games. Good get by Boyle and staff to keep Colorado talent at home!!!

ESPN has upgraded him to a "91" grade and has updated his scouting report:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/130276/wesley-gordon

Gordon is a high-major recruit with very long arms as well as a physical frame. He is one of those no nonsense rebounding/shot blocking types that just produces each time out. He is a very good rebounder in traffic and goes after rebounds out of his area. He can finish in transition with a dunk as well as in the paint area off an offensive rebounder. In addition, he is an underrated passer and has pretty good feel for the game. He has excellent timing on the defensive end and is a gifted shot blocker.

Thanks, JRK.

Gordon is starting to explode after recent traveling team performances. I know the Scout guy is really high on him, too. Let's hope we can hold onto him and get him signed in November.

Back