What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 CO PF Wesley Gordon (Signed to Colorado)

Thanks, JRK.

Gordon is starting to explode after recent traveling team performances. I know the Scout guy is really high on him, too. Let's hope we can hold onto him and get him signed in November.

maybe im gun shy based on the lack of success of our teams before this year but... i think he flips... someone snap me out of it

maybe im gun shy based on the lack of success of our teams before this year but... i think he flips... someone snap me out of it

The key to recruiting influence is an articulate, charismatic coach who appeals to what the recruit values on many levels. In the past (with the exception of Bzdelik who had some cache with parents but was not a great communicator) we have been sorely lacking in the qualities for basketball coaches over the years. Boyle possesses these qualities in spades and has the energy to stay with it. Also, this kid gets to play in front of his parents in an exciting program in the new PAC 12. For these reasons, I feel good about his commitment and believe that he will sign with CU in November. In Boyle, I trust! :)

There were some questions a month ago about how solid 6-foot-8, 205-pound Colorado Springs Sierra 2012 power forward Wesley Gordon was with his commitment to Colorado, but he informed Scout.com on Thursday that he’s definitely sticking with his pledge to the Buffs.

“I’m for sure going to Colorado now,” Gordon said. “I just decided that I really want to go there because they have a nice program and I think the head coach is a good coach."

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1071921.html

Lots more stuff in the interview that has me fired up.

**** yeah!

Can't wait to see you playing at the Keg, Wesley! Bring us home a Pac-12 title!

There were some questions a month ago about how solid 6-foot-8, 205-pound Colorado Springs Sierra 2012 power forward Wesley Gordon was with his commitment to Colorado, but he informed Scout.com on Thursday that he’s definitely sticking with his pledge to the Buffs.

“I’m for sure going to Colorado now,” Gordon said. “I just decided that I really want to go there because they have a nice program and I think the head coach is a good coach."

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1071921.html

Lots more stuff in the interview that has me fired up.

**** yeah!

Can't wait to see you playing at the Keg, Wesley! Bring us home a Pac-12 title!

haha omg thank you thank you thank you!!!

I was curious as well and did a quick google search this morning and stumbled across this. It's old, but still nice to see.

And I like Wesley Gordon’s chances at CU, too

I recently wrote that Lewis-Palmer junior Josh Scott has a strong chance for success when he arrives in Boulder to play basketball.

I feel the same way about Sierra junior Wesley Gordon. Both Scott and Gordon have committed to play for Tad Boyle at the University of Colorado.

The question about Gordon is size. He’s a true center who lives in the lane, but he’s 6-foot-7, which is undersized for a college center.

I believe he answers the question. I watched Alonzo Mourning’s entire career at Georgetown, and Alonzo was one of the dominating defensive centers in NCAA history. Alonzo is 6-foot-8, but he terrorized shooters with superior leaping ability and superb shot-blocking technique. Mourning went on to a successful career with the Miami Heat.

I don’t want to burden Gordon with a comparison, and I’m not predicting a long NBA career for Gordon – it’s too early – but will say that Wesley’s style reminds me of Alonzo’s. When you see photos of Gordon blocking a shot, you always see his eyes locked squarely on the ball. He has great concentration, and he’s always hungry to swat a shot.
Gordon and Scott could make – should make – a great inside tag team for Boyle.

The Gazette

I still wonder about Gordon's listed height of 6'7" too. In The Show, he looked every bit as tall as Scott, who's listed 2 inches taller. I'm not sure if Gordon's grown or Scott's height is overstated, but either way, both still have time to grow. I wouldn't be surprised if Gordon ended up at 6'9" or 6'10", which is pretty legit size at the collegiate level.

I still wonder about Gordon's listed height of 6'7" too. In The Show, he looked every bit as tall as Scott, who's listed 2 inches taller. I'm not sure if Gordon's grown or Scott's height is overstated, but either way, both still have time to grow. I wouldn't be surprised if Gordon ended up at 6'9" or 6'10", which is pretty legit size at the collegiate level.

I think both of them have some growing left in them. I remember when they both committed that a number of people questioned Tad's choice to go after them. I think that as time goes by Tad seems to be getting smarter and smarter.

What I also like is that I think they will be not only good players but that they will compliment each other as players.

The 6'7", 195 lbs is what Rivals has. Scout has 6'8" and 205 and ESPN has 6'8" and 220. Let's hope ESPN's right.

I was under the impression that a 90+ grade on ESPN = 4*. Am I wrong? Because ESPN has him with a 91 grade, but only a 3* on the page currently.

I was under the impression that a 90+ grade on ESPN = 4*. Am I wrong? Because ESPN has him with a 91 grade, but only a 3* on the page currently.

A 92 or above gets you 4-stars at ESPN. And for football it's a 79 or above. Who knows why they chose those numbers. Someone probably just woke up one day and firgured, hey, were ESPN, we can do whatever we want even if it doesn't make any sense.

A 92 or above gets you 4-stars at ESPN. And for football it's a 79 or above. Who knows why they chose those numbers. Someone probably just woke up one day and firgured, hey, were ESPN, we can do whatever we want even if it doesn't make any sense.

I wish they'd switch it to A, B, C, D, Incomplete. Based on potential:

A= BCS All-Conference
B= Early BCS Starter
C= BCS Upperclassman Starter
D= Small Conference Player
INC= Not scouted

Add the +'s and -'s to give it some shading. That's basically what they're trying to do. The stars are like the 5=A, 4=B, 3=C, 2=D with no stars equaling INC. Then they try to give the numbers to show how close to the next or previous level they are. I think they should simplify. Who do they think they're kidding by trying to tell us that they really can tell the difference between a 75 and a 76 on a 60-100 scale?

actually, in football it's a 79.5-84.99=4*... apparently espn can grade to the 100th of a point

JoshGershon Josh Gershon

Watching CU commit Wesley Gordon. He's rebounding, blocking shots, scoring and passing. Love CU's future front court of Gordon & Josh Scott.

Dropped in ESPN's latest rankings from the #23 PF to #46. Also fell from a 91 grade to an 89.

Gordon is still a 4* on Scout, but dropped out of the top 100 in their latest rankings (was #96).

Gordon is still a 4* on Scout, but dropped out of the top 100 in their latest rankings (was #96).

That's what happens when you don't do the AAU circuit on a team that is capable of making noise.

Plus, his game is very much early Zo Morning, so a lot of what he does is the dirty work that helps you win but doesn't light up the box score. Type of player who could finish a game with as many blocked shots as points to go along with a bunch of rebounds and several assists from the post. He's got a very natural feel for court spacing and team basketball. Sees the court very well.

That's what happens when you don't do the AAU circuit on a team that is capable of making noise.

Plus, his game is very much early Zo Morning, so a lot of what he does is the dirty work that helps you win but doesn't light up the box score. Type of player who could finish a game with as many blocked shots as points to go along with a bunch of rebounds and several assists from the post. He's got a very natural feel for court spacing and team basketball. Sees the court very well.

Also reason for optimism. Frequently the best players in HS are the focus of their teams scoring and rebounding. When they get to college they still believe that they are not playing if they aren't scoring 20 points and grabbing all the boards. They focus on those aspects and ignore the team elements of the game.

If you get a kid who comes in with his game built around playing D, passing the ball, playing without the ball the kid and the team come out way ahead.

I hope I'm not drowning in kool-aid but I love what Tad is doing.

Also reason for optimism. Frequently the best players in HS are the focus of their teams scoring and rebounding. When they get to college they still believe that they are not playing if they aren't scoring 20 points and grabbing all the boards. They focus on those aspects and ignore the team elements of the game.

If you get a kid who comes in with his game built around playing D, passing the ball, playing without the ball the kid and the team come out way ahead.

I hope I'm not drowning in kool-aid but I love what Tad is doing.
Couple this with the fact Scott appears to be a pure post scorer and the two should compliment each other very well. That's a really nice combination to pair in the frontcourt.

I was like 8 when Zo was in HS, so I don't remember him. However, when I really started getting into basketball in middle and HS, I remember reading that Zo was a legend in HS. He was All-American everywhere, and he lit up the box score. I get what you're saying about dirty work and all that, and I'm not arguing your comparison with Gordon...but Zo was amazing in HS.

I was like 8 when Zo was in HS, so I don't remember him. However, when I really started getting into basketball in middle and HS, I remember reading that Zo was a legend in HS. He was All-American everywhere, and he lit up the box score. I get what you're saying about dirty work and all that, and I'm not arguing your comparison with Gordon...but Zo was amazing in HS.

I meant style so that people could get a feel for the type of game he plays. He's a few inches short of 7 feet (maybe more than a few), as was Zo. But he's got the timing and long arms of a shot blocker who can be an intimidating presence from the "5" despite the lack of prototypical height. He also gets a little nasty and does all the grinder work you need to win. That's pure Zo.

But the comparison shouldn't be read as a comparison of hype, talent level, or likely career path. More along the lines if I say that DD Goodson is more Eric Metcalf than Emmit Smith to describe his running style.

Everyone welcome 1/2 of our future frontcourt as Wesley is now officially a Buff!

Boyle on Wesley Gordon "Has tremendous skill, size, and athleticism... A ton of upside"

Wes is going to take our defense to the next level. I can't wait to see him and Dre on the court at the same time.

Wes is going to take our defense to the next level. I can't wait to see him and Dre on the court at the same time.

X is known for his defense too. Add Shannon and Scott out there, and we have a unit that could suffocate people.

Back