What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 CO PF Wesley Gordon (Signed to Colorado)

Expanded Boyle comments-"Wesley has tremendous skill, size, and athleticism, and is another guy that demonstrates he has skills you can't coach which thrills us. You look for upside in recruits, and just like (Xavier Talton) Wesley is a tremendously talented young man with incredible upside and we are really looking forward to seeing him improve as a player."

Not according to the Burrito.

Pledge Allegiance to the Swag
I was trying to figure it out. As far as I can tell, you need a ****** offense, and a defense that plays really well against ****** offenses. You don't need special teams, except for maybe a little.

Wesley is built well, already has a NBA body.

[video=youtube;Cbywxhdvpss]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbywxhdvpss[/video]

It definitely looks like he bulked up this summer. Can't wait for this class to get started!

I'm pretty sure it was him I saw at the Air Force game. If so, he's absolutely huge.
He doesn't need to be 7' to be a good college center. 6'9" or 6'10" and 250 is plenty big enough if he knows how to use that size. He should really compliment Scott well.

More offensive game than he had as a junior. Gordon's developing. I'm pumped.
Has soft hands, finishes with both. Got some post moves! However, looks like his biggest limitation is his vertical. And the competition in that video was, umm.... well let's just say they looked like me playing D.

Good news -- now listed at 6'8", 220 lbs (up from 6'7" and 195).

Bad news -- now a TWO star on ESPN.

interesting that he went from a 3 star to a 2 star, he seems to be playing very well this year and has found an offensive game we didn't even know he had. Either way happy he is coming to boulder.

We're getting really close to seeing Gordon and Scott square off for the 4a championship. That could be a really fun game to watch.

19 pts, 15 reb, 9 blocked shots for Gordon last night.

I see Gordon sliding into the Simba role for next year -- being a solid big off of the bench who chips in a few points here & there. I do think however that Gordon is going to provide great defense and now whenever Dre slides to the bench for a rest, we can bring in another shot blocking terror. Even better though, we can put Dre & Gordon out there at the same time, put Scott (or Simba if he continues to improve his D) in the middle, throw in XJ and The Mayor, and we have a SHUT DOWN defensive unit all of a sudden.

19 pts, 15 reb, 9 blocked shots for Gordon last night.

I see Gordon sliding into the Simba role for next year -- being a solid big off of the bench who chips in a few points here & there. I do think however that Gordon is going to provide great defense and now whenever Dre slides to the bench for a rest, we can bring in another shot blocking terror. Even better though, we can put Dre & Gordon out there at the same time, put Scott (or Simba if he continues to improve his D) in the middle, throw in XJ and The Mayor, and we have a SHUT DOWN defensive unit all of a sudden.

With Gordon and Scott to contend with other teams big guys Dre is going to be able to focus more time making life miserable for other teams scoring forwards instead of beating against guys who are taller and heavier than him all the time. May open a whole new dimension for him and the team defensively. Also Gordon is much more mobile than SHT making him a much better threat as a help defender in the paint. This means our guards will be able the pressure the ball more effectively with less worry about giving up the drive to the hoop.

Thoughts from a poster on Rivals, LouisvilleBuff who went to both games yesterday.

http://colorado.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=422&tid=171578368&mid=171578368&sid=894&style=2

JMO on Scott and Gordon based on watching them play yesterday. Just food for thought for the board.

1) For 3 qrts, Scott was basically a rebounder, defender and passer out of double teams. And he did this very well but it was not what I was expecting to see from such a highly ranked player. Scott was not great at getting good post position down low. Also his teammates including his brother didn't appear to have either the desire or the skill to pass the ball to him down low. Scott had 8 pts through 3 qtrs mainly on put backs and foul shots.

Things changed greatly in the 4th quarter. Scott was moved to the high post at the elbows of the foul line. After that the Lewis Palmer offense pretty much ran through Scott. Moving Scott to the high post eliminated the immediate double teams on catching the ball and allowed him to face up to the basket. Playing pretty much one on one against the Valor defender, Scott drove at will with either hand. He dominated the 4th quarter scoring 14 pts and giving Lewis Palmer the win.

Scott showed a very good ability to get very low and athletic and drive to the basket. He didn't just bump and back down his defender to get to the rim but rather a quick first step to blow by the defender. He also finished very well in the 4th quarter.

2) Gordon played a team that was ideally suited for his skills. Broomfield's offense was based on penetration by it's undersized but quick guards. Well the guards did a great job of penetration but Gordon was there just about every time to block the shot. Gordon truly is a master at blocking shots whether he is the primary or secondary defender. He is very quick off his feet, has great length and quickness and can hover in the air even if he jumps to soon. He had great timing on blocking most of his shots.

Also as a rebounder, Gordon showed good physical strength and hustle to beat block outs. Also the kid looks like he can really jump vertically.

Offensively, Gordon shows very little skill and confidence around the rim. Based on this one game, he has very little skill in establishing position down low and pinning his opponent on his hip. Gordon basically stood straight up and put his hand up high when trying to call for the ball down low. The Broomfield defenders although undersized had little trouble getting in position to deny any entry pass.

As far as offensive confidence around the rim, Gordon repeatedly passed up open jump shots from 5 to 8 ft to pass to a teammate under the basket. Sometimes the teammate was open but on several occasions Gordon was more open than the teammate he passed to. Most of Gordon's points came on dishes from driving teammates or put backs over smaller defenders.

A couple of little notes on Gordon. First, Gordon runs and plays the game on the balls of his feet. Running down the court he almost "prances", getting too much vertical lift and looks kind of dorky. For those of you who remember think Kevin McHale of the Celtics. However playing D on the balls of his feet also allows him to be the shot blocker he is. He is always ready to jump and gets off his feet very quickly with great vertical leap.

Second, in warmups, Gordon repeatedly showed a very good mid range jumper. He made just about everything from about 15 ft in warmups with little effort and very good technique. In the actual game, I don't remember him taking one 15 ft shot.

3) Physically Gordon looks more ready to bang inside. I didn't see Scott and Gordon next to each other but Gordon looks to be about the same height as Scott and carreis more muscle at this point.

4) All this leads to my biggest take away from the night. Before seeing the 2 players live, I was thinking Scott would be a center and Gordon a power forward in college based mainly on physical height. After seeing them play, JMO Gordon is more of a center and Scott more of a power forward. Gordon with his shot blocking ability needs to be around the rim on D. While Scott appears to be able to put the ball on the floor and get to the rim on offense. Also, as of now Gordon has the body to bang around the glass with the big boys.

Remember this is just one person's opinion based on seeing each player play exactly one game. Also the final between these players should be a real good game. Both Scott and Gordon have excellent HS players on their team. It should be a fun game.

One final thought, Roberson is going to have a very hard time keeping up his 11 rebs a game average next year. Scott, Gordon, Johnson and Jenkins will all rebound better than any one on the Buffs current roster not named Roberson. I see a several players having 8 to 10 rebounds in any particular game next year.

Have agreed all along with the observation that Gordon is much more a natural 5 and Scott a natural 4. Both have been limited by the lack of competition with significant size to play against, Gordon also has a lot of talent around him but it is not disciplined and sometimes he tends to be an afterthought in their game.

Both will have an adjustment period in college but both are also quality athletes, not just big guys, who will adapt easily and contribute early in their careers.

Have agreed all along with the observation that Gordon is much more a natural 5 and Scott a natural 4. Both have been limited by the lack of competition with significant size to play against, Gordon also has a lot of talent around him but it is not disciplined and sometimes he tends to be an afterthought in their game.

Both will have an adjustment period in college but both are also quality athletes, not just big guys, who will adapt easily and contribute early in their careers.

have you seen either play in person?

have you seen either play in person?

I work in the Widefield/Security area, right next to the district Sierra is in. I have seen Sierra play 3 times in the last couple of years, L-P once. I also have been able to talk to some kids down here (will remain unnamed) who have played against both of them in both HS and AAU ball and against Gordon in some rec ball.

What I have seen has been re-enforced by a "local HS coach" who I also won't name that I have talked to who has coached against both of them. These people also seem to have a high opinion of both of them as people as well as players. I think their development has been limited by the situations they play in but based on what I have seen and heard I am very glad that Tad made them priorities and signed them.

That's my take.

Gordon's more of a Zo Mourning or Ben Wallace type in terms of his style of play and skill set.

Scott's more of a Kevin McHale or Juwan Howard type in terms of his style of play and skill set.

Pair those two with Dre, our baby Rodman, and we have one hell of a front court the next 2 years.

I work in the Widefield/Security area, right next to the district Sierra is in. I have seen Sierra play 3 times in the last couple of years, L-P once. I also have been able to talk to some kids down here (will remain unnamed) who have played against both of them in both HS and AAU ball and against Gordon in some rec ball.

What I have seen has been re-enforced by a "local HS coach" who I also won't name that I have talked to who has coached against both of them. These people also seem to have a high opinion of both of them as people as well as players. I think their development has been limited by the situations they play in but based on what I have seen and heard I am very glad that Tad made them priorities and signed them.

as simple yes would do.

Back